Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
I have been having this AC problem on my 2002 325i. The AC has a problem that has persisted for a while. First it was leaking but the technician changed the evaporator and this fixed the problem. However, there is this strange problem that has been disturbing me for quite a while now. My AC is cooling unpredictably.
Below are a few facts that i observed in relation to this issue.
1) The Air conditioner cools unpredictably.
2) I could start up the car now and the Air Conditioner starts cooling immediately and after a while, it may stop cooling.
3) I could start and the Air Conditioner will not cool - it just blows normal air and after a short or long drive, it may start cooling.
4) In some cases it may remain as it was all through the drive.
5) I observed that in both cases (Whether it cools or it does not cool), the compressor clutch engages and the compressor spins.
6) Most times, if it does not cool, when I turn off the air conditioning button (the asterisk button) and turn it on after about 15 seconds, it begins to cool. I do play around with this button whenever it was cooling and stopped cooling and some times this helps me get it to start cooling.
7) When it is cooling, accelerating rapidly (increasing RPM) most times may make it stop cooling.
8) When it is cooling, driving slowly and keeping the RPM below 2K ussually ensures that it does not stop cooling. However, this is not a 100% guarantee that it continues cooling because some times i start the car and drive slowly for 10mins and it still does not cool.
9) In all cases the fan blower is consistent. It does not stop blowing, just that the air is not cold.
Please I would like to have some tips on what could be my problem.