E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Drivers side rear clunk

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  theG 
#1 ·
Ok really simple, installed h&r cup kit on my 2000 323i, shock mounts are "new" bought them last summer, after cupkit install I've got a clunk from the drivers side rear when ever I go over a bump, most any bumps really. Also my rear swaybar endlinks are new just installed them today, thoughts or ideas?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#3 ·
noises

I had an H&R kit on my 323 wagon and had this problem. The H&R springs were shorter than the OE springs and under certain conditins, the suspension would unload (say, going diagonally up a driveway ramp) and would lift off the perch on the shock, thunk clunk when recompressing the suspension.

Jack up the rear of the car. If the rear trailing arm droops to the point where you can easily move the spring, this is probably your noise source.

BMW sells several rubber spacers in different thicknesses that can help keep the spring from becoming loose and banging around. GL

#4 ·
I had an H&R kit on my 323 wagon and had this problem. The H&R springs were shorter than the OE springs and under certain conditins, the suspension would unload (say, going diagonally up a driveway ramp) and would lift off the perch on the shock, thunk clunk when recompressing the suspension.

Jack up the rear of the car. If the rear trailing arm droops to the point where you can easily move the spring, this is probably your noise source.

BMW sells several rubber spacers in different thicknesses that can help keep the spring from becoming loose and banging around. GL
i orignally suspected this also, but the problem only happens when the rear drivers side spring is compressed is when it clunks. i tested this by backing up my driveway making my drivers side hit the lip first, and it clunked. i had a friend back the car up again with me in the trunk so i could watch the shock mount, and its not the shock mount. so im thinking it could be the rtabs. probably go with powerflex with limiters.

#6 ·
Has the RTAB's ever been replaced? What about the RSM? If they are both stock I would recommend replacing both if you have the extra cash. If not start with the RSM first. Same thing happened to my brother's car. Looks fine from the outside but when he went over bumps (how you described) it clunks. He replaced both his RSM and problem solved. Though the week prior to that he also replaced his RTAB's so that ruled out the RTAB problem. Only option left was his RSM.

#7 ·
RMS's were replaced last summer, had a few hundred raceland miles on them, then went back to the stock suspension with the broken rear springs, then went to the h&r cup kit.

the clunk i believe had began before the H&R kit was installed but was not as prevalent due to the softer springs. so it could be the RMS's but i doubt it. im probably going to pick up a set of RE shockmounts at eurofest if they have them

All bushing in the rear are stock to my knowledge. i bought the car with 89,000 miles and it now has 115,000 miles. this summer all bushing are going to be replaced with powerflex's.

#8 ·
check your rsm's and make sure the rubber bushing isnt all chewed up. take a pic so we can see what it looks like. ive had brand new oem rsm's wear out in less than 3k miles. besides that you might have an issue with your endlinks as well

#12 ·
pics for everyones enjoyment.

Struts dissasembeled

Top of RSM

Bottom of RSM

Up close view of top of RSM

Assembled shock

Top of assembled shock

Up close of assembled shock

The right side is exactly the same. all pictures are of the left side where the problem sounds like its comming from

#13 ·
Just to clarify, i replaced both endlinks last week and are both in good condition as of today.

The rest of the rear bushings are stock.

And the shock mounts are OEM, non HD

#18 ·
this summer im doing a whole rear end overhaul. so i may justhave to live with it for awile

Have you verified that the sway bar isn't contacting either the control arm or half shaft (or maybe even the diff cover if your rear diff bushing is in really bad shape)?
Have not checked that yet, ill give that a look today. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
last bump before i let the thread die for a few months. in june, or july i will be upgrading the swaybars, doing the rtabs, diff bushings, subframe bushings.

#21 ·
I have what could be the same clunk, put powerflex rtabs in today, it's still there, however, when I had control arms hanging I pushed and pulled a bit, without the control arm loaded it was easy to see and hear clunk is coming from lower control arm inner bush! Bummer cos I just put a new diff in and now need to loosen it again to get bolts out!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.