E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Winters have been DIPPED!

8K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  choegatz 
#1 ·
First of all....I'll show you the DON'T.

Don't spray plastidip when it's cold. I accidentally sprayed the can when the temps were around 40F outside and it came out chunky and thick. Good thing I can just wait a day and peel it off to start over!

Now I put my cans in hot/warm water to keep the paint warm. The warmer the paint, the finer the mist molecules and the move even the coat. I still think I have a lot of learning to do because I'm not 100% satisfied with the matte appearance compared to real paint or wrapping.

Take a cleaned wheel...or a freshly ripped of Plastidip mistake. LOL

Start with a light coat:

Keep doing it after about 10-15 minutes of set time:

It'll get darker but don't ever let the paint get so thick that you see it go super shiny because it MAY run...

After about 4 light coats and 2 moderately heavy coats I got this:

Now I used a special Gold Plastidip Metalizer which will spray gold flakes all over the black base creating a dark bronze up to gold depending on how many coats you use. I used 3 coats to create this effect:

Wait for the right time to mount...well try to be earlier than this....LOL

And then the final product for a totally different look for winter!

It's hard to catch this finish in light...maybe someday I will find a place with better lighting to work with. I hope I prepped it good enough and sprayed good enough to be durable for the winter as I see how well this product can be torture tested on Youtube. It was a fun project that costed less than $50 and easily reversible. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Did someone say BRIGHT Green??????!!! LOL

Baby Blue:

Laguna Seca Blue (I tried...LOL):

Oxford Green:

Orange:

Red:

Yellow:

And oh YES.....Hot Dubber Pink:

Black:

White:

Gun Metal/Graphite:

Gold:

Bronze:

And then my color!

Deep Bronze:

This stuff seems to be a great tool to see if a certain colour looks good on the car for cheap and then you can paint it professionally in a more permanent manner.

#18 · (Edited)
It's too cold and crappy outside to be worried about cleaning the tires. Mild rubbing will roll the left over plastidip off so I'm not in any worry. I also have the DipYourCar fix kit with whatever thinner they use so I can just rub it on a towel and mildly scrub the tires and it'll just come loose.

I used approx one can per wheel and one can of metalizer for all 4 wheels. You may use only 3 if you don't do the whole wheel. I decided to to all the wheel inside and backside to make sure there is no chance for contaminants to get under the plastidip. Less than $40 job if you don't have to redo any "fudgeups."

#20 ·
Just spray sideways and don't worry about straight on. The faces will still get a coating at a 45 degree angle. Just be patient and work many thin coats and never force it. There's always another try within 10 minutes. :)

Metalizer is really easy. You mainly just spray at 45 degree angles to partially get the spokes because the face will be most visible. :) Metalizer is so diffused and fine is goes everywhere so it's easy to create even coats with it!

#23 ·
I dunno...I haven't even driven the car yet...I've been using an AWD in this heavy snow Vancouver has been having. I'll have to see if that thin amount of rubber that's acting as a "washer" will create a vibration. I have my torque wrench in the car so I can test it while I drive it around town when I can drive it. Obviously 88ft-lbs has not squeezed the rubber coating out. haha.

#26 ·
Ummm well it took some time to read up and learn about how to paint this and what I needed to prep. But if I minus the prep which just involved cleaning it as best as I can. Taping takes a few minutes each wheel. And painting from nothing to the colour I wanted is about 90 minutes.

#30 ·
Ummm well it took some time to read up and learn about how to paint this and what I needed to prep. But if I minus the prep which just involved cleaning it as best as I can. Taping takes a few minutes each wheel. And painting from nothing to the colour I wanted is about 90 minutes.
Just place cards inbetween the outer edge of the actual wheel and the tire. :thumbsup:

Like this:

Saves a lot of time, and probably turns out better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.