E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

E46Fanatics Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

600K views 3K replies 547 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread will be for questions regarding the Dice iPod integration kit for your BMW. Questions regarding features, compatibility, installation and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

Product Description:

Connect your iPod to your vehicle's factory entertainment system and hear what your iPod should sound like in your BMW. CD-quality sound and controls from your radio, steering wheel or the iPod. Always keeps your iPod charged and ready to go.

The DICE iPod integration kit will also display text from your iPod onto your BMWs radio/Navigation display allowing you to view Artist, Song title and Album name!

A clean factory looking installation is possible with our sleek iPod docking cable, allowing full connectivity for all iPods utilizing a dock connector.

Our hard-wired kit connects right to the cd changer connectors already present in your BMW. The DICE module transfers information between the iPod and radio through a dock cable or our upcoming video cradle.

New features of DICE iPod Integration kit include:

iPod is now fully unlocked while connected to DICE integration kit. You are allowed full access of your iPod's features as well as the following browsing options:

- Album Selection
- Song Selection
- Playlist Selection
- Chapter Selection (Audible/Audiobooks)

You can browse your iPod with the steering wheel, radio or Navigation buttons and the iPod (or any combination of the three) without booting into separate modes. Allowing the iPod to remain in "iPod UI" allows for the user to still rate songs and create "on the go" playlists.

AUX compatibility with user-adjustable Sound Output settings:

Connect any external audio device including: aftermarket satellite radio, CD/DVD players, non-Apple MP3 players and more! Bass, mid, treble and gain settings can be adjusted on the fly. These options allow for distortion-free audio input.

Selecting between audio from your iPod or AUX input is done with the press of a button on your radio.

- Volume Output (selectable 1-100)
- Bass (selectable 1-100)
- Midrange (selectable 1-100)
- Treble (selectable 1-100)

ID3 text output

- Features Song Title/Artist and Album information on your Navigation or Radio Display.

Charging Control

Charging of your iPod while in play, never have a dead iPod again!

Models Supported:

1996-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for i-Drive models)*
1997-2003 5-series, including M5
09/1998-2001 7 series
2004-2006 X3
2000-2006 X5
1996-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2006 Z4
2000-2003 Z8
2003-2006 Mini Cooper/Cooper S

* pre 1999 vehicles and Business Cassette do not have ID3 text support.

Compatible for both Navigation and Business CD/Cassette vehicles. Installation is simple for the DIY type and should take no longer than 90 minutes.

DICE installation supplement for BMW: http://support.diceelectronics.com/files/bmw_install.pdf

DICE User instructions for BMW: http://support.diceelectronics.com/files/users_manual_rev_B01.pdf

See less See more
#3 ·
Troubles w/'05 330xi w/Navi

Tom, I've had a few problems with the DICE in an '05 330xi w/Navi. I bought the unit from Dension USA.

- No text whatsoever. I can't get text anywhere, on any screen. I've tried all six tracks on disc 6, but no go. The only time I saw text was during the install - and that was, strangely enough, on the phone dialing screen and happened only once.

- After a track starts playing (i.e. after one track ends and another begins, or when I switch manually), I get a small gap of silence about 3 seconds into the song.

- Sometimes, the radio/navi shows track 80 instead of the correct track, and won't let me change tracks via the radio/steering wheel controls.

It's connected to an iPod Video 60GB, with firmware v1.1.1.

Did I install this incorrectly? All other features seem to work just fine (steering wheel, play/pause, charging, audio seems great, etc...).

Any help you can offer would be fantastic.

#4 ·
yubyub said:
Tom, I've had a few problems with the DICE in an '05 330xi w/Navi. I bought the unit from Dension USA.

- No text whatsoever. I can't get text anywhere, on any screen. I've tried all six tracks on disc 6, but no go. The only time I saw text was during the install - and that was, strangely enough, on the phone dialing screen and happened only once.

- After a track starts playing (i.e. after one track ends and another begins, or when I switch manually), I get a small gap of silence about 3 seconds into the song.

- Sometimes, the radio/navi shows track 80 instead of the correct track, and won't let me change tracks via the radio/steering wheel controls.

It's connected to an iPod Video 60GB, with firmware v1.1.1.

Did I install this incorrectly? All other features seem to work just fine (steering wheel, play/pause, charging, audio seems great, etc...).

Any help you can offer would be fantastic.
I have yet to see one installed incorrectly, let's start with the basics. When was the kit purchased from DICE? I will also need the number below the barcode on the DICE module.

#5 ·
The kit was purchased from Dension USA on 6/6/06 (maybe this is unlucky?).

The part number is I-BMW-T. The barcode reads A00014-0606. There was an additional number on the upper right hand corner of the label (dl-1002) that might or might not mean anything significant.

I didn't think that I installed it incorrectly either; I've got a decent EE background, and the install was as basic as it gets. Could've still made a stupid mistake, though I can't see how...

Thanks, Tom! I owe you virtual beers.

#6 ·
yubyub said:
The kit was purchased from Dension USA on 6/6/06 (maybe this is unlucky?).

The part number is I-BMW-T. The barcode reads A00014-0606. There was an additional number on the upper right hand corner of the label (dl-1002) that might or might not mean anything significant.

I didn't think that I installed it incorrectly either; I've got a decent EE background, and the install was as basic as it gets. Could've still made a stupid mistake, though I can't see how...

Thanks, Tom! I owe you virtual beers.
The module's up to date, are all the DIP switches set to off? Activating text on the NAV-vehicles should be as simple as selecting CD #6 and going to track 5 or 6, depending on taste.

#7 ·
The dip switches are off (I believe this is confirmed by the fact that I can control the iPod via the Navi/steering wheel AND the iPod itself - as I understand it [which hopefully is not incorrect], when the switches are on, it only works from the iPod).

Not sure if the module is up to date - are you stating that it's up to date, or asking? Sorry...

Once it was playing, I went to CD 6, and tried tracks 1 through 6 - all with the same results (no text).

What screen modes should I see the text on? I assumed that it should show on the CD info screen (which shows the disc + track number).

Could it just be a bad unit?

#8 ·
yubyub said:
The dip switches are off (I believe this is confirmed by the fact that I can control the iPod via the Navi/steering wheel AND the iPod itself - as I understand it [which hopefully is not incorrect], when the switches are on, it only works from the iPod).

Not sure if the module is up to date - are you stating that it's up to date, or asking? Sorry...

Once it was playing, I went to CD 6, and tried tracks 1 through 6 - all with the same results (no text).

What screen modes should I see the text on? I assumed that it should show on the CD info screen (which shows the disc + track number).

Could it just be a bad unit?
The text can sometimes take about 5-10 seconds to appear upon activation, are you giving it time? If so, I would have to assume you need a replacement module - I would recommend contacting DICE to arrance replacement.

#10 ·
quickturtle said:
Hey guys,

So I ordered and installed my DICE module a couple of weeks ago. Overall, the installation was pretty easy and straight forward. About the toughest thing for me was to get to the battery.

The sound I thought was excellent...especially coming from the FM transmitter that I first tried. However, when I started to listen a bit closer in the last couple of days, I'm experiencing some annoying issues. Until reading this thread, I thought it was isolated to me. To date, I'm experiencing the following:

1. Low, but noticeable, clicking noise on ALL songs played. When I unplug the Ipod I still hear the little clicking sound.
Recheck your connections, something may be loose at the connection points, or it could be picking up inteference from other devices.

quickturtle said:
2. Air Conditioning blink problem mentioned by others.
This affects a small number of e46s out there. We have a firmware solution for this - we are testing right at the moment. Email me directly to be placed on the list to be notified when this is ready for release.

quickturtle said:
3. Low hissing sound during the entire song. Imaging running your index finger along a piece of paper or the table and thats similiar to what I hear. Funny thing here is that thie hissing will go away when I turn off the sound from the Ipod by touching the wheel counter-clockwise (0 volume level indicated on the Ipod), for about 2-3 seconds. Of course the sound comes back.

-Update-
When I noticed that the hissing sound corresponds to my backlight. I have set to 5 seconds, when the back light dims, the hissing starts. When I touched the Ipod wheel, it activates the light.
Thanks for the update, I've tried to replicated this on the test bench and 2 vehicles and couldn't hear anything. Do you have another iPod to see if you can replicate the problem with?

quickturtle said:
4. The text scrolling by will sometimes get stuck for a little bit. This is so minor I don't really care if it were fix.

I have:
2002 330 CI with the Business CD.
DICE Module
Ipod 5G 30gig

Any help or suggestion would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,
Eddy C.
The text will freeze shortly at the end of text lines, this is normal. If its in the middle, I would try removing fuses #7 & #41 for a few minutes to reinitialize the system.

#11 ·
Tom,

I've verified my connections and have pulled the fuses that you have suggested only to find the same issues.

Regarding the clicking sound, I've plugged in another Ipod and still see the same thing. In fact, I still hearing clicking when NO Ipod is plugged.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Eddy

#162 · (Edited)
Tom,

It's me Roy. I emailed you before regarding the clicking noise problem. I just wanted to post here so others who have the same problem can use it as reference. Anway, As I told you, I thought the clickin noises were gone and only happens at the beggining of my songs for few seconds. however, tonight when everything was quiet I listened closely to my songs and the noise was there all along. I unplugged my ipod and the clicking noise is still there. I pulled the fuses, Reset my ipod and still didn't work. I guess Quickturtle and Trixter11 aren't the only ones having this problem. Please let me know if there's a solution to this. I really love this Dice unit but the clicking noise just kills it. Please HELP. I'm local so if it's possible I can bring my car down and show you the problem. THANKS. By the way, I have Ipod Nano 2Gig with firmware version 1.2

#12 ·
quickturtle said:
Tom,

I've verified my connections and have pulled the fuses that you have suggested only to find the same issues.

Regarding the clicking sound, I've plugged in another Ipod and still see the same thing. In fact, I still hearing clicking when NO Ipod is plugged.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Eddy
It would make no sense that the clicking would be there without the DICE being used, does the noise disappear when the DICE is disconnected?

#13 ·
Text but no sound from DICE Install

Thankfully I tested this before wiring the whole car but: I have an ipod Nano 4g and just got the DICE. Installed it last night according the directions - the text appears on the head-unit and will flip through the play lists appropriately but NO SOUND!..:bawling: ..I have tried the dip switches in DICE mode and ipod mode with no luck. The ipod itself will change playlists and tracks when controlled by the head unit or steering wheel....Any thoughts? :hmm:

The directions say that some ipod don't play sound from a dock connector? Is that true? If so, I wish I had seen that before I made the purchase.

Also, it says that the possible problem may be that the CDC or CD Changer needs to be activated? Is that true as well and anyone know how to do that?

My car is a 2000 323i with the standard BMW business radio w/in dash cd...

Thanks,
Joe Mac

#14 ·
nyuk said:
Thankfully I tested this before wiring the whole car but: I have an ipod Nano 4g and just got the DICE. Installed it last night according the directions - the text appears on the head-unit and will flip through the play lists appropriately but NO SOUND!..:bawling: ..I have tried the dip switches in DICE mode and ipod mode with no luck. The ipod itself will change playlists and tracks when controlled by the head unit or steering wheel....Any thoughts? :hmm:

The directions say that some ipod don't play sound from a dock connector? Is that true? If so, I wish I had seen that before I made the purchase.

Also, it says that the possible problem may be that the CDC or CD Changer needs to be activated? Is that true as well and anyone know how to do that?

My car is a 2000 323i with the standard BMW business radio w/in dash cd...

Thanks,
Joe Mac
Joe,

CD Changers needing to be "activated" and the inability of sounding coming through the iPod dock connector is false. This isn't a problem with the DICE, but the iPod itself.

This sometimes this happens only with the nano where the dock connector isn't fully unlocked. Reboot the iPod with the MENU and center buttons held down for +5 seconds and reconnect after the reboot process is completed.

Give this a try and see if this corrects the problem.

#15 ·
Tom,

bought the Dice for Nav from you. When I turn on the ignition, text on Dice will SOMETIMES disappear/disabled. So I would have to reactivate text display again. Is this a glitch or is it normal?

#16 ·
edwin814 said:
Tom,

bought the Dice for Nav from you. When I turn on the ignition, text on Dice will SOMETIMES disappear/disabled. So I would have to reactivate text display again. Is this a glitch or is it normal?
It could be an initialization problem.

Try removing fuses #7 & #41 from the glovebox fuse panel and reinstalling after a few minutes if this step wasn't performed when the kit was first installed.

#17 ·
tom @ eas said:
Joe,

CD Changers needing to be "activated" and the inability of sounding coming through the iPod dock connector is false. This isn't a problem with the DICE, but the iPod itself.

This sometimes this happens only with the nano where the dock connector isn't fully unlocked. Reboot the iPod with the MENU and center buttons held down for +5 seconds and reconnect after the reboot process is completed.

Give this a try and see if this corrects the problem.

Thanks for responding so soon. I tried rebooting. I tried removing fuses 7 & 41 for approx 15m. I even tried to access the aux output through disk 5, track 2... no luck...Any other suggestions? I opened a support ticker with DICE website... Thanks again.

#18 ·
nyuk said:
Thanks for responding so soon. I tried rebooting. I tried removing fuses 7 & 41 for approx 15m. I even tried to access the aux output through disk 5, track 2... no luck...Any other suggestions? I opened a support ticker with DICE website... Thanks again.
Do you have a friend with an iPod you can test on the system? this will determine whether the problem is iPod or DICE-related.

#19 ·
A/C Blink Fixed?

Hey Tom,

I just spoke with Lazlo at Dice today about my A/C blink problem. He told me that the thought the problem had been corrected. When I asked him how recently, he said maybe a week ago.

Someone is supposed to contact me again after the holiday for another replacement unit (this will be my fourth).

Just wanted to check with you - have there been any recent firmware updates purporting to correct the A/C blink that you know of?

#20 ·
blorax said:
Hey Tom,

I just spoke with Lazlo at Dice today about my A/C blink problem. He told me that the thought the problem had been corrected. When I asked him how recently, he said maybe a week ago.

Someone is supposed to contact me again after the holiday for another replacement unit (this will be my fourth).

Just wanted to check with you - have there been any recent firmware updates purporting to correct the A/C blink that you know of?
Yes, we have notified everyone that had signed up on our list for the new update. We have been testing for about a week - to the best of my knowledge, the problem is now fixed.

We work with the field testing for DICE as well. ;)

#22 ·
#24 ·
gyoung_06 said:
My battery died from DICE.... :banghead:
Not sure how this would happen - the iPod stops charging and the DICE module goes in sleep mode when the key is turned off.

How have you determined the DICE module was to blame?

#25 ·
Hey Tom,

Sorry about responding so late, it's been a bit busy at work.

Yes, it is still clicking after the ipod is unplugged. However, when I unplug the dice unit, the clicking does go away. I can use my pda to record a sound clip for you if want.

Also, anything new aboout the hissing sound that I reported? Anyone else hearing this (hissing or clicking) besides myself and the board member that PM'ed me?

Thanks!

#26 ·
quickturtle said:
Hey Tom,

Sorry about responding so late, it's been a bit busy at work.

Yes, it is still clicking after the ipod is unplugged. However, when I unplug the dice unit, the clicking does go away. I can use my pda to record a sound clip for you if want.

Also, anything new aboout the hissing sound that I reported? Anyone else hearing this (hissing or clicking) besides myself and the board member that PM'ed me?

Thanks!
Send me the audio clip if handy. I can be reached at tom@europeanautosource.com, if you can describe the button commands you are using at the same time - this would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.