E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Strange wobble/noise at certain speeds

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  butthead123 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, before I just jump the gun and assume my rotors are warped, I wanted to see if anyone else maybe had some other insight on what my problem may be.

I only have the problem between 70-80mph, and not always.. (however it's more often than not). Sometimes its worse than other times.. sometimes it's just noticeable, and other times it's like holy crap what is that...

Without being able to jump around the vehicle and try to figure out which corner it's coming from, I don't really know where it's originating.. I'm usually doing 75 at the time.

I've had warped rotors in other cars and usually when you step on the brake at higher speeds you'll feel a nasty pulsing feeling and you know the rotors are messed up. This is really not the case here.. stepping on the brake does not really amplify the problem like I thought it should.

Also, I just replaced the front passenger's hub assembly because I originally thought a shot bearing was the cause.. not the case cause I still have the problem. I also just replace my front control arm bushings last year with the Powerflex Urethane ones, so I don't think that's my issue either.

Any help on what else I can check would be awesome, and thank you very much!

See less See more
#2 ·
Start with wheels and tires, as very often, speed dependent vibrations that you can drive into and out of, turn out to be balance. Spin the wheels slowly and look at the rims for a hop (a flat spot), especially on the inside rim where the wheel is softer and flat spot is harder to see.

You might have just lost a wheel weight too. But, if you see a flat spot, even if the wheel can be balanced, I'd move that wheel to the rear...hoping you're not staggered...though you probably are, right?

Anyway, start there. Tires do also themselves have issues...and if you have a flat spot on wheel, the tire may also have a messed up belt inside...don't really know how you check that other than to remove tire and look. I'd start there before replacing components.

#3 · (Edited)
I think I am going to take your advice and start with the wheels/tires. I've been researching prices on new rear tires for a few days now because they are pretty much ready to be replaced. So I will also get a front/rear alignment and make sure they balance all everything for me. That way if it turns out not to be the problem, at least all that is ruled out of the equation. ;)

I always wondered what would cause something to shake only "sometimes", I guess there are a lot of variables when it comes to wheels/tires like speed/temperature/psi/etc.. so I'm sure all that lining up a certain way has something to do with the "sometimes".

I really appreciate the response! For some reason right off the bat my mind always wants to believe that something is broken.

EDIT: oh and yes I am staggered.. I never realized how hungry for rubber the rear end of an m3 is. :p

#4 ·
Hey I'm back again. I got new rear tires, and had all 4 balanced.. but the shake is still there, still only at certain higher speeds though. For some reason I'm convinced that it's coming from the passenger's side front.. when my wife is in the car I have her put her hand on the floor when it's happening and she says it really feels like it's from there. It's hard to tell while driving as I'm sure everyone knows, but for some reason I'm convinced it's over there.

The other thing that's happening (this is minor and silly, but it might be related) is when I back into my parking spot at work every morning, when the wheel is turned slightly and I'm backing up, I can hear a squealing from that wheel. I had one of the workers stand next to the car while I was backing up and they said it's definitely coming from that wheel.

I don't know if that helps with what the problem may be or not..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.