E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY: Blacking out your headlamps

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  azmaz 
#1 ·
So I ordered some p46s a few months ago, just like so many of us have. I recently bought some matte black kidney grilles, and really disliked the way all the cheap chromed plastic looked in the p46s next to the matte black kidneys. I had seen pics of cars on here with blacked out lamps, but never a DIY for them, so here we go. :)

SUPPLIES:
Matte Black spray paint. - I used Krylon stuff. I'm not sure how well it's going to hold up to the heat, so we'll see in a few weeks.
Painters tape
Newspaper

We start here:

There are DIYs all over the place for taking your headlamp apart. Once you remove the lower trim on your light, there are 7 clips around the lens holding it in place. These pop open easily with just a little pressure. Be careful not to break the clips.

Drivers side all taped up. Make sure to completely cover your projector lens!

Spray on a light coat, and let it dry for 10 minutes or so, depending upon the temperature of where you are.

Repeat this a few times until you have solid coverage everywhere.

Halfway there. :D

Passenger side all taped up and newspapered up:

Solid coating on that light:

Driver light untaped and dried:

Completed:

Enjoy!

See less See more
#4 ·
I find myself using my halogen high beams quite a bit on roads with a few street lights. The bixenon high beams don't seem to work quite as well. I think it's got something to do with the contrast that the yellower color halogen high beam gives compared to the HIDs.

#17 ·
I guess it depends on where you live... around here you'd be crazy not to have high beams since it's fairly common for no one else to be on the road, and deer like to cross paths frequently. The car would also fail safety inspection here without functional highbeams.

Newer LCMs can be coded so that the bixenons work for flash to pass even when the headlights are off (like the newer BMWs) so I could see the merit to blacking everything out if you had it coded like that.

#19 ·
hi guys :) i borrow this tread to ask smth :)

First of all, nice painting, not so many would have balls to paint in headlight, so nice job :p

Does anyone know where i can found smoked or kinde of "black" headlight lens?

I will post a new tread soon so u can answear there too :)

Regards
Sweden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.