E46 Fanatics Forum banner
15K views 119 replies 61 participants last post by  LeMansteve 
#1 ·
I feel like I'm definitely one of the few at this point.. It's a 1999 with 113k miles..

So the only thing I've done is flush my coolant at 50k miles, and I did the fuel filter at the same time.

I bought a new water pump and thermostat before I hit 100k, expecting them to die swiftly since my car is such an early build date.

This morning, my 'check coolant' light popped on for the first time ever. It went off after about a minute and did that twice on my way to work. I dropped it off at the shop and had them do a pressure test and leak check, expecting the expansion tank to have a nasty crack or something, and I was ready to go ahead and do everything.

To my amazement, there were no leaks and no seepage. Since there's nothing going on, I can't get myself to do any of it yet.

So I have to wonder, is anyone else doing just fine in the coolant department? Should I still be worried even though it all seems dandy?

#2 ·
Don't worry 1999-2000 e46 have more sturdy water pumps than later year OEM ones.
Your thermostat might be worn but still works.
I did my first cooling system at 200,000 km. It was largely unneccessary. The Water pump and expansion tank and the two hoses were in good condition.

#6 ·
Yes you should be worried. Rolling the dice every time you start your car. Comes down to how lucky you feel. your low coolant light came on for a reason. your expansion tank has a crack on it. pressure drop test wont reveal anything if your car is cool. once up to temp, crack expands and water comes out

#14 ·
your low coolant light came on for a reason. your expansion tank has a crack on it. pressure drop test wont reveal anything if your car is cool. once up to temp, crack expands and water comes out
i agree the coolant light came on for a reason.

did you really just say his "pressure test" done at a the shop won't reveal anything unless hot? umm...the test is under Pressure

as a matter of fact you are suppose to do the test first when cold and then started if you are to find some head gasket leaks.

#35 · (Edited)
I agree. I haven't changed anything except for my original coolant from 1998 (once,) which is what I said in the OP.

Yes you should be worried. Rolling the dice every time you start your car. Comes down to how lucky you feel. your low coolant light came on for a reason. your expansion tank has a crack on it. pressure drop test wont reveal anything if your car is cool. once up to temp, crack expands and water comes out
My pressure test was done about 20 minutes after a 20 mile drive, I'm pretty sure it was up to temp. Especially because the coolant light came on right when I floored it to merge on the freeway. I'm not worried because it turned on and off, and I checked my parking spot for leaks and didn't find anything. I think it's more likely to be my sensor than anything else. They didn't top my coolant off because they didn't have any BMW coolant in stock, and the light didn't come back on when I drove 40 miles later on in the day.

221K and I'm still on my original water pump...
Damn dude, be careful with that. My friend has 179k and his just seized up on him last week.

#34 ·
Kudos to you, OP. I think a good portion of the amateur DIYers on this board probably do more harm than good mucking about with perfectly-functioning parts. The rest waste their money imo.

Fix it when it breaks. Check your coolant level when you check your oil (regularly). Pay attention to warning lights. If you're worried, you can buy like 3 or 4 years of AAA for what The General will tell you to spend on unnecessary parts.

Honestly, however, I would probably do the expansion tank and water pump. That IS preventative maintenance, simply because you won't get a warning light if your water pump fails and the et really is underengineered on these cars.

#38 ·
78k miles on my '04 330Cic and the coolant system works great. No leaks, hoses feel normal not hard or cracking, water pump & clutch fan quiet. I am slowly piecing together all the components needed to for a coolant system overhaul. Not in a hurry but I know it's one my to do list for my Vert (hello all metal WP).

I just finished the VANOS seal repair kit and replaced the PS - ALT - WP drive belt cause I noticed cracks in the old one. Also while I had the clutch fan off I cleaned the front face since it had lots of road grime and dirt on it. It cleaned up very well. Maybe one day another project will be to replace the clutch fan for an electric one... so many projects so little time (& $$$).

#41 ·
I am at 120k, and don't officially qualify because the ET did blow out 3 years ago. Otherwise, all original. But I am not proud of that like some, I am relatively nervous. I have all the parts for a complete system change (I mean every single o-ring, sensor, new hardware, hard lines, heater valve, plus the normal big items). I want to change it before something bad happens, but I am completely unable to do so right now.

#45 ·
110000 miles, original everything (I think) I replaced the pump about 6 months ago
lol, sooo it's NOT original everything :p

293k miles and 2 weeks on the new
ET, WP, T stat, upper, and lower hoses, and sensor. I have the heater inlet pipe, and return hose on hand, and will get to them soon.

2nd Radiator

3rd Water pump

3rd ET

2nd set replacement Upper/Lower Hoses

2nd or first replacement Thermostat
Crazy! 293k, holy crap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.