E46 Fanatics Forum banner

M3 e46 wont start

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Aioros_M_class 
#1 ·
hello guys here is the thing when i was leaving to do some shores with my car when i was about to started it i heard a loud click in front of the engine, well since then i thought it might be the starter engine but it works very good, then i checked the fuses in the glovebox and the one in the engine bay but neither of this things that i checked seems to solves my problems, i dont know if the key is the problem because when the ignition is on the fuel pump works can you help me dealing with this problem
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

#5 ·
I already checked that the battery is brand new I bought it like a month ago and I also tested so the voltage is good, the fuel pump is also working, but when I put the key in the ignition position nothing happens the only thing I hear is the fuel pump working besides that nothing happens:hmm::hmm::hmm::(:(:(:(:(

#6 ·
my problem was a clutch sensor when there was no click or sign of the starter. Ive also one time one the m3 had a bad BST cable.

But narrow it down until you have the starter to replace.

#10 ·
If its not the things you listed and the clutch switch was bypassed what else can it be? So strange. I never hear of the ews or immobilizer problems that meds these cars up.

#22 ·
Go back to the battery, OP...even though it's new and even though you have the voltage you want to see, that doesn't mean you have the amperage to start your car. It could test fine out of the car, but you know, it's not really pushing anything out of the car...no load on it.

Try jump starting your car...if it starts, then drive for 20-30 mins. on highway. Keep the donor car revving a little and keep them hooked up for 5 mins. or so. Also, double check that your starter cable/connections are good (particularly under the + terminal under hood).

Also, do check that bst...check that battery cables are tight...wiggle them and pull up on them...we've had many cases of that issue happening.

If you've been making a lot of short trips and no long ones, that's why the battery could be new but otherwise drained.

Eliminate battery for sure before moving onto other things.

Clutch switch also, as has been mentioned. Do you have a clutch stop? Remove it.

#23 ·
Ugh, same problem on my 03. Tapped on the starter nothing. Fuses all ok. I read a thread that said re-sync your key. I bought the car and only got one key so I don't want to cut it open to try to even attempt to replace the battery. How would I check the clutch switch to see if that is my problem??? Not replacing my starter as a last resort if nothing works :( any new insight would be greatly appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.