E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Car Overheated, Coolant brown milky mixture, radiator or blown head gasket?

52K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Bali 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just bought this car about 9 months ago, and everything has been fine with it until I was driving yesterday and the coolant light came on for a second (I didn’t know what it was at the time but the light went off a few seconds later).

I parked my car got what I had to in Target and tried finding out what the symbol meant. On my way back the same coolant symbol came on and then my car started to overheat. I quickly pulled off to the side of the road, opened the hood and there was a brown milky mixture all over the bottom of the hood and all in the engine compartment.

I opened the coolant cap and it was empty but was not clean at all, it was the same brown milky consistency (I haven’t filled or drained the coolant since I got the car)

I asked my friend who is BMW certified and he says it’s the head gasket that is blown but the car runs fine if you put water and coolant in it. I brought it to a uncertified mechanic down the road and he thinks its the radiator that needs to be replaced.

The engine and dipstick oil looks the way it should be and the same milky consistency isn’t in the engine.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Replacing the head gasket was priced at 18 hours roughly $1500 on top of parts...

See less See more
#3 ·
My friend did the same thing, I replaced his upper radiator hose, filled and bled the system and his ran fine.

Usually thats a really bad sign, but somehow his car ran just fine and had no problems. He ended up getting rid of it a few months later but it ran just fine up until then. So not sure how it ran in the long run.

#9 ·
the only thing to keep in mind is that if the PO used Zerex - G-05 which is an approved coolant, its more of a beer color, which when it gets dirty would probably turn brown. When I did mine between the Zerex, the Blue and and Green it was quite the interesting color. That said, milky is another problem i suppose unless you had the totally wrong coolant. I would maybe try a cooling system flush and overhaul, including a new water pump and thermostat and see. If you blew your head gasket (IIRC) you would have oily coolant, shitty power, and a lot of smoke.

#12 · (Edited)
Drain all the coolant from the engine block plug (enough DIY's on here) - check for oil in the coolant.

Drain all the oil - check for coolant in the oil

In both cases the visible signs will be a milky brown streak through the liquid

If you find it in either I would suspect the head gasket blew when the aluminum head got too hot.

If you suspect the head - go to a local shop and have them to a pressure test.

Changing the head gasket may not fix this - if the head warped from the overheating.

There are lots of threads on here about overheating including mine (325 cab)

I was lucky and the head did not warp - others have not been so lucky.

I will attach a PDF that is a BMW SI for checking the overheating damage of the E46.

Typically if this pipe is melted BMW determine that there was sufficient heat from the ovberheating to cause substantial engine damage.

#17 ·
Another HG test, which should be done before draining any fluids, is to check for pressure building inside the cooling system before it heats up. Clear the pressure when cold, start it and rev it up to 4k-5k RPM a few times then shut it down within 10 seconds. Then crack the ET cap again and see if any pressure releases. It should not.

#16 ·
BMW North beat me to what I was going to say.

However in the event you find your car overheating again, do the obvious and pull off to the side of the road. Instead of turning the car off all the way, keep the key in position 2 and turn the heater on high. This will help the engine cool and may even save a few people from getting warped heads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.