E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any Opinions on th Hankook Ventus S1 noble2? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1010422)

LittleBear 10-20-2013 01:00 PM

Any Opinions on th Hankook Ventus S1 noble2?

Hello BMW Experts!
Does anyone have experience with the Ventus S1 noble2 yet, pls? Opinions on the previous Hankooks were getting pretty good, and I liked the Kumho UHP/AS tires I used to have, so am wondering if these are up to snuff.
I'm now on Conti DWS, which are an all-round good tire, but a little more sport would be nice. I use real snow tires & so these would be on only for an early or late season snow, but rain performance is important to me.

TIA! Murf :woot:

LittleBear 10-21-2013 12:38 PM

The TR reviews sort of worry me with the Noble2, some saying the sidewall is too soft.
If anyone can compare the Noble2 to the General G-max AS-03 & the Kumho Ecsta 4x, I would appreciate it much!

TIA, Murf

Gary@Tirerack 10-22-2013 11:15 AM

The only complete test we have of this tire can be found here :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...&affiliate=BN4

CharlzO 10-22-2013 12:04 PM

I'm running the Noble2's right now on mine, and haven't had any issues with the tires feeling soft at all. I'm running a 17" if it makes much difference. Came off Khumo Ecsta SPTs, and really, there's not much difference in every day driving. I can still push through corners hard if I want to with the Nobles and not a chirp to be heard, but I imagine there might be a bit more gap in track driving between them. I CAN say though, that the tire wear on these is a million times better than the Ecstas, which is understandable given the rating, and being an All-season versus summer tire that others were. As for wet weather, I haven't had a single issue with them. I don't drive over a lake, but even normal water in the groves on back roads, they don't skip at all.

EthirD 10-22-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlzO (Post 15787430)
I'm running the Noble2's right now on mine, and haven't had any issues with the tires feeling soft at all. I'm running a 17" if it makes much difference. Came off Khumo Ecsta SPTs, and really, there's not much difference in every day driving. I can still push through corners hard if I want to with the Nobles and not a chirp to be heard, but I imagine there might be a bit more gap in track driving between them. I CAN say though, that the tire wear on these is a million times better than the Ecstas, which is understandable given the rating, and being an All-season versus summer tire that others were. As for wet weather, I haven't had a single issue with them. I don't drive over a lake, but even normal water in the groves on back roads, they don't skip at all.

Not that this means anything for the Hankook, but I ran Kumho Ecsta UHP all seasons on my S4, and while they started out fine, the sidewalls gradually became seriously soft about halfway through the tread life, making it feel like you were going to fall off the tire in hard cornering maneuvers. I guess time will tell as these are newer tires.

LittleBear 10-23-2013 07:37 AM

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the replies. Gary, I read the TR tire tests religiously! They are a great service for the people. Big thanks to Tire Rack. :thumbsup:
My Kumhos were the ASX UHP/AS, which handled very well. GY Eagle F1 AS was my comparison. The Kumhos wore better, the GY handled better by a little wet & dry, but I only got ~ 15k on them & they were noisy!!
I will be getting 225/45/17. No tracking, just hard dirty back road driving.

Murf :woot:

HLG600 10-30-2013 03:17 AM

Ordered a set based on the Tire Rack comparison test, price relative to other tires and current promotion. Looking forward to seeing how they perform. My Conti Sports are getting worn down and noisy so I'm looking forward to fresh rubber.

LittleBear 11-08-2013 08:56 AM

Last chance to give opinions, pls! I gots to buy....

Murf

HLG600 11-13-2013 12:08 PM

Initial impressions are positive. Good feedback, quiet, holds the road well.

LittleBear 11-14-2013 04:27 PM

Thanks HLG,
Have you given them a workout on some dirty back roads yet? What are you comparing them to?

Murf

HLG600 11-14-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBear (Post 15833987)
Thanks HLG,
Have you given them a workout on some dirty back roads yet? What are you comparing them to?

Murf

No problem Murf. Haven't had a chance to push them too hard just yet. I'm coming from Conti Sports. These handle well, but the biggest difference I noticed off the bat was the smoothness. I'll write a more detailed review once I get a chance to break them in and test the limits a bit. ;)

zanga254 04-13-2014 06:47 PM

Now that it's post-winter, did you ever get to drive them in the rain/snow? How did they perform?

LittleBear 04-13-2014 08:52 PM

I took off my snow tires ~ 2 weeks ago & put on the Noble2s. So far, only undemanding city/highway driving, and no rain. But they are definitely sharper handlers than the DWS they replaced. I think the noise factor is similarly low.
I'm going to the mountains next weekend to give them a workout on the little roads & the curvy parkway, so I'll try to remember to report back.

Murf :woot: