E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Should I replace one Cv Joint ( Axle Shaft) or Both? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1017839)

phoopsta 12-16-2013 08:08 PM

Should I replace one Cv Joint ( Axle Shaft) or Both?
 
I have a 02 330XI and for my christmas gift my brother-in-law in replacing my leaking axle shaft with a hole on the front left with a new one! I thought it is great because it would save me a good amount of $$.

I was kinda worried about the part purchased tho, It is coming from Napa Auto Parts.


Anyways hes done tons of cars DIYs and he knows a little bit about bmws.

Looking at videos and forums I think its a task we can conquer.


What I am worried about is if I get a aftermarket shaft for the front left when the front right OEM was perfectly ok, will they fight eachother? Like maybe vibration or weird wobble or should I not experience any difference? Thanks!

2002 BMW 330xi 135k miles.

http://s13.postimg.org/4r1yf7s7r/unnamed_1.jpg

jeepo23 12-16-2013 08:20 PM

Well I replaced my front left in my 02 330xi about 2 years ago with a shaft from Carquest (same as Napa really..) and luckily I kept my OEM shaft and picked up a boot repair kit which I plan now to rebuild and install back as I believe that the shaft from Carquest is causing some shaking/wobbles..

If he's doing the repair and your shaft isn't clicking yet.. buy the boot repair kit ~$40 since he has to remove your OEM shaft anyways and just rebuild it and put it back in place. This will save you some money by not having to buy a new shaft unless you want to go OEM.. $$$.

And I don't think the shafts are interchangeable between sides.. their all side specific.

autoAER 12-16-2013 08:30 PM

Definitely replace both (you will regret it later if you dont), and definitely get OEM or OEM spec BMW parts

phoopsta 12-16-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoAER (Post 15893555)
Definitely replace both (you will regret it later if you dont), and definitely get OEM or OEM spec BMW parts


Well it is definatly not the cheapest crap but also its not OEM. So I beleive its OEM spec.

I am deciding to do one side because the other side looks recently replaced. Its in fantastic shape. My drivers side is trashed.

^ for the boot repair. I had thought about it, but it was a suprise so he already purchased the part :(

jeepo23 12-16-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoopsta (Post 15893564)
Well it is definatly not the cheapest crap but also its not OEM. So I beleive its OEM spec.

I am deciding to do one side because the other side looks recently replaced. Its in fantastic shape. My drivers side is trashed.

^ for the boot repair. I had thought about it, but it was a suprise so he already purchased the part :(

What axle shaft are you putting in and how much is it?

autoAER 12-16-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoopsta (Post 15893564)
Well it is definatly not the cheapest crap but also its not OEM. So I beleive its OEM spec.

I am deciding to do one side because the other side looks recently replaced. Its in fantastic shape. My drivers side is trashed.

^ for the boot repair. I had thought about it, but it was a suprise so he already purchased the part :(

Up to you, but I was also in a similar situation and judging by the removed part, it was in much worse shape than i thought. It's better to replace both and know that you did than replacing one side and going off of sheer guessing on the other side.

phoopsta 12-16-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepo23 (Post 15893566)
What axle shaft are you putting in and how much is it?

I think he said something around $250. I looked up the OEM and they are over $500!!! :yikes: It would be the Front Driver side.

The cheapest aftermarket I looked up was $107. off of Bavarian Auto

phoopsta 12-16-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoAER (Post 15893575)
Up to you, but I was also in a similar situation and judging by the removed part, it was in much worse shape than i thought. It's better to replace both and know that you did than replacing one side and going off of sheer guessing on the other side.

I had them all inspected at a dealership :P as well has 2 other auto shops ( full car inspections, I like to have different point of views). Thats how I figured that I needed a new one ( as well as looking at it while car was in air) I had lots of other parts looked at but thats a different subject.


I can also tell by just looking at them. The front left isnt torn or anything, just a huge hole causeing a leak.

autoAER 12-16-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoopsta (Post 15893590)
I had them all inspected at a dealership :P as well has 2 other auto shops ( full car inspections, I like to have different point of views). Thats how I figured that I needed a new one ( as well as looking at it while car was in air) I had lots of other parts looked at but thats a different subject.


I can also tell by just looking at them. The front left isnt torn or anything, just a huge hole causeing a leak.

Ah, that you didn't mention. I retract my previous statement

phoopsta 12-16-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoAER (Post 15893593)
Ah, that you didn't mention. I retract my previous statement

My fault bro haha I am new to the forum.

I got this car REALLY cheap so dont be to suprised below lol

Other parts that need to be replaced soon:
Post o2 sensors.
Fuel Filter
Fuel filter cover
Front left axle shaft ( in progress)
Flex disc ( Guido or whatever u call it)
Front left rim
Oil level Sender
Front and back differential oil change
Radiator Flush. ( PREVIOUS OWNER HAD PRESTONE IN IT> CAN U BELEIVE IT)

What I have done so far:
MAF sensor clean
Headlamp install
Exhaust butterfly valve removal.
Clutch....($1,800... :tsk:)
Oil changed, twice lol( apparently accidentally had a shop do it) :facepalm:
Complete engine cleaned ( my engine sparkles)

autoAER 12-17-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoopsta (Post 15893607)
My fault bro haha I am new to the forum.

I got this car REALLY cheap so dont be to suprised below lol

Other parts that need to be replaced soon:
Post o2 sensors.
Fuel Filter
Fuel filter cover
Front left axle shaft ( in progress)
Flex disc ( Guido or whatever u call it)
Front left rim
Oil level Sender
Front and back differential oil change
Radiator Flush. ( PREVIOUS OWNER HAD PRESTONE IN IT> CAN U BELEIVE IT)

What I have done so far:
MAF sensor clean
Headlamp install
Exhaust butterfly valve removal.
Clutch....($1,800... :tsk:)
Oil changed, twice lol( apparently accidentally had a shop do it) :facepalm:
Complete engine cleaned ( my engine sparkles)

off the top of my head, definitely double check your cooling system, VANOS,and ICV. I can't stress enough how much preventative maintenance is important on these cars. Trust me man, I spent 3 grand fixing everything up when i got the car 2 years ago. Before owning it, I had no idea what the hell was going on inside. Now, i can say I've replaced enough parts to know exactly whats going on with the car. be very careful, things add up quick with these cars

most of all, enjoy the bimmer :thumbsup:

phoopsta 12-17-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autoAER (Post 15893893)
off the top of my head, definitely double check your cooling system, VANOS,and ICV. I can't stress enough how much preventative maintenance is important on these cars. Trust me man, I spent 3 grand fixing everything up when i got the car 2 years ago. Before owning it, I had no idea what the hell was going on inside. Now, i can say I've replaced enough parts to know exactly whats going on with the car. be very careful, things add up quick with these cars

most of all, enjoy the bimmer :thumbsup:

Yeah I definatly want to do a coolant flush and put in BMW coolant in and get rid of that yucky green stuff. for the ICV, I could definatly check it and clean it. for my vanos? well im not experiancing any leaks around there nor any engine problems, yet. So That isnt number 1 priority haha.

SamDoe1 12-17-2013 10:08 AM

If one is bad and the other is not, replace just the one.

Why are you replacing the fuel filter cover?

Are you sure you need to replace the flex disc, post cat O2, and front rim or are you just guessing?

Why aren't you replacing the pre-cat O2 sensors?

Don't replace just the coolant, replace the thermostat, water pump, explosion tank, and hoses while you're in there.

phoopsta 12-17-2013 11:47 AM

[ QUoute]1;15894266]If one is bad and the other is not, replace just the one.

Why are you replacing the fuel filter cover?

Are you sure you need to replace the flex disc, post cat O2, and front rim or are you just guessing?

Why aren't you replacing the pre-cat O2 sensors?

Don't replace just the coolant, replace the thermostat, water pump, explosion tank, and hoses while you're in there.[/QUOTE]

I am replacing the fuel filter cover due to it being super rusted, I may try to do some abatement to see how much rust can be taken off first.

Yes flex disc is soon needed to be changed, the rubber is all torqued ... tho I could probably wait awhile before I do that.

Post cat o2 is because im getting heateng o2 sensor circut fail codes and other codes that lead to bad o2 sensors. Precat are ok as they were replaced before purchase.

Front rim has crack next to tire that creates an air leak. I will pay you money if u can find me that rim style! :(

Coolant system seems fine,not to worried yet, this car isnt as bad as im saying it is. Lol explosion tank

SamDoe1 12-17-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoopsta (Post 15894434)
I am replacing the fuel filter cover due to it being super rusted, I may try to do some abatement to see how much rust can be taken off first. Don't bother, you're wasting your time and money on this.

Post cat o2 is because im getting heateng o2 sensor circut fail codes and other codes that lead to bad o2 sensors. Precat are ok as they were replaced before purchase. Are you sure they are for the post cat O2 sensors and are they both of them?

Front rim has crack next to tire that creates an air leak. I will pay you money if u can find me that rim style! :( What style, the ones in your picture?

Coolant system seems fine,not to worried yet, this car isnt as bad as im saying it is. Famous last words

See above.

Busy 12-17-2013 01:27 PM

NEW axles from NAPA come with a lifetime warranty and cost a fraction of OEM axles, so use those.

Replacing both sides is a preventative measure and if $$ and time allow, by all means do it.

phoopsta 12-17-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 15894450)
See above.


Fuel filter cover : I dont mind abatement and its free

O2 sensors: cause the reader told me the bank and the sensor??

Rim: Yeah that style

Coolant: you might be right. Im not a car noob tho... why u asking me this stuff as if I am a noob with cars? :P

autoAER 12-17-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoopsta (Post 15894995)
Fuel filter cover : I dont mind abatement and its free

O2 sensors: cause the reader told me the bank and the sensor??

Rim: Yeah that style

Coolant: you might be right. Im not a car noob tho... why u asking me this stuff as if I am a noob with cars? :P

nothing wrong with being a noob. hell, I'm still a noob and I've owned my E46 for long enough to know better.

Better take SamDoe1's advice

SamDoe1 12-17-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoopsta (Post 15894995)
Coolant: you might be right. Im not a car noob tho... why u asking me this stuff as if I am a noob with cars? :P

My apologies, most people who just start out on this forum are total n00bs who couldn't tell you the difference between an O2 sensor and a MAF sensor.

I've been around the block and back with this car so I'm just throwing out my opinions and advice.

SamDoe1 12-17-2013 04:54 PM

Also, I believe these are pretty close to the wheels you're looking for without having better pictures than the one you posted:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use