E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   What does it mean when the light to let down the top blinks red and the top will not (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1017950)

scottlmarcus2 12-17-2013 02:39 PM

What does it mean when the light to let down the top blinks red and the top will not

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

cityjohn 12-17-2013 02:44 PM

Red indicates a problem. Could be simple like the trunk is open, or could be something else, even a broken wire somewhere. Broken wires between the trunklid and body, and also in the top above your head on the left side, could cause this.

If the light blinks orange then you need to flip down the expanding compartment inside the trunk.

My top gets a red blink about once a month or so that is unexplained. I get out, lock the car, unlock, get in, start engine and that usually cures it.

scottlmarcus2 12-17-2013 03:24 PM

Re: What does it mean when the light to let down the top blinks red and the top will

The windows roll down and top unlocks it starts to.go.back.then stips and.the.light starts blinking

scottlmarcus2 12-17-2013 03:24 PM

Re: What does it mean when the light to let down the top blinks red and the top will

I dont think.the rear part of the roof.is folding.up

cityjohn 12-18-2013 02:21 AM

Try pulling up rear seat cushion, then manually moving the cables that go to the tonneau cover's holddown latches.

scottlmarcus2 12-18-2013 07:20 AM

Cityjohn can u call me I have no idea in which what you are talking

Phoenix330ci 12-19-2013 03:09 PM

Your problem is more than likely a broken ground. I had this problem and it was fixed by running another ground wire around the dead section. I have a thread in this section as well as a couple of other members. For what I paid to have this found and fixed I could have bought a brand new wire harness for a lot cheaper ($150 for the harness)

Search for things like "top won't go down" in search.

Also as a hint, my wire broke right above the drivers door in the wire loom at that bend in the top (above the drivers door). When you have the drivers window down and the top starts to fold you will see the harness I'm talking about between the layers of roof.

scottlmarcus2 12-19-2013 11:05 PM

Oh ok ill try that thank you

taylor192 12-19-2013 11:23 PM

There is a sticky at the top of this forum about electrical troubleshooting. Your symptoms are exactly that of a broken wire in the harness, that thread will help you identify where the break is, and how to test which wire is broken.

Next time if you want better advice be more detailed, your original post didn't have enough info.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using BimmerApp mobile app

LoveE46bimmer 12-27-2013 12:12 AM

sounds exactly like what am experiancing, but its too cold for the top down for now