E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   First E46 is it a good deal? Or should I watch out? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1036429)

dcminiman_43 05-05-2014 02:20 AM

First E46 is it a good deal? Or should I watch out?
 
Hey, New here to these forms and i am looking at my first E46 and BMW in general since I'm going into a BMW program at school, and a certified BMW and Volvo mechanic not to far from where I live has a black 2001 325xi with 68,889 on the odo and has everything but the sport and cold weather pkg on it and no HID and said he would let me have it for 8k the car is on beautiful shape inside and out and has a common little leak that he said he will fix and the pulley was done by the preivious owner which looks like they babied it....my question is, what are your guys opinions? Good deal or not? And should I watch out? If so what do I look for in these cars. (BTW I'm downgrading from an 03 galant GTZ) thanks :)


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

SamDoe1 05-05-2014 10:30 AM

Not a good deal. You can get a newer one with more miles but with cold weather and sport for the same or less. The E46 is such an old chassis that you might as well pick and choose from everything out there to find exactly what you want. As for what to watch out for, search around that question has been answered a million times.

dcminiman_43 05-05-2014 10:57 AM

Thanks!! Because there's also a 2005 mystic blue/tan 330 coupe with 78k for 7995 but haven't Looked into what maybe wrong with it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

SamDoe1 05-05-2014 11:13 AM

Where do you live? An Xi may not be the best option if you live in a place where it's not needed.

Kubica 05-05-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 (Post 16139914)
the pulley was done by the preivious owner

Whoa, previous owner replaced "the pulley"? The pulley being the only weak spot on the car I would say you are good to go for another 200k miles...jump on it. If it wasn't for that dang pulley the e46 would be bulletproof. At least you know you won't have to shell out $30 for a new pulley and waste twenty minutes putting it. Did the previous owner do the belt too? If not, run away from this car it has been neglected!

SamDoe1 05-05-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 16140366)
Whoa, previous owner replaced "the pulley"? The pulley being the only weak spot on the car I would say you are good to go for another 200k miles...jump on it. If it wasn't for that dang pulley the e46 would be bulletproof. At least you know you won't have to shell out $30 for a new pulley and waste twenty minutes putting it. Did the previous owner do the belt too? If not, run away from this car it has been neglected!

:rofl:

bad day today?

dcminiman_43 05-05-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16140275)
Where do you live? An Xi may not be the best option if you live in a place where it's not needed.

I live Pennsylvania

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

dcminiman_43 05-05-2014 12:53 PM

I wanted a coupe but after this past winter....yeah

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Kubica 05-05-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16140391)
:rofl:

bad day today?

Yeah- my pulley blew out this morning.

SamDoe1 05-05-2014 04:06 PM

Good thing it's only $20 and 30mins of your time. Should increase the resale value of your car though.

dcminiman_43 05-05-2014 04:34 PM

So what about a 04 330Ci with 78k on it for 7995 that sound like a good deal?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Kubica 05-05-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16140869)
Good thing it's only $20 and 30mins of your time. Should increase the resale value of your car though.

No it's the $30 pulley that went. Good thing- the $20 pulley takes way too long.

phildobaggins 05-05-2014 05:45 PM

The e46 is the best worst automotive purchase I ever made. This creaky old bitch has given me hundreds of hours of wrench time and a lot of fun along the way. I paid 4 grand for a perfect interior, good motor, bad clutch and a body that has been relentlessly dinged up. But for 4k who care, its my beater and I love her.

For 8k your dangerously close to being able to get something much much better, much more reliable, and no where near as pokey.

My next purchase I will make my XI the tow car, I really want to turbo an older 5 series (I forget the designation, the 88-94 style) or turbo a clean e30.

If you can handle the idea of doing your own work on a plasticy brittle money pit then go for it. If you dont like the idea of doing everything yourself, buying alot of tools and crying yourself to sleep while watching yourself in a shame mirror then skip it.

SamDoe1 05-05-2014 05:49 PM

^ That depends on the car but if it was perfect and had the cold weather and premium packages then absolutely a good deal. You will need to get any car inspected and make sure it's in good working condition before you buy it. I can't tell you one car is better than the other over the internet but all things equal that's a good price. Auto or manual?

dcminiman_43 05-05-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16141081)
^ That depends on the car but if it was perfect and had the cold weather and premium packages then absolutely a good deal. You will need to get any car inspected and make sure it's in good working condition before you buy it. I can't tell you one car is better than the other over the internet but all things equal that's a good price. Auto or manual?

The Xi is an auto

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Kubica 05-05-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcminiman_43 (Post 16141237)
The Xi is an auto

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Find a car with manual transmission, nice paint, options that you want. Then go drive that car and if you like it, have a mechanic do a PPI. Then negotiate the price down.

White_Knuckles 05-05-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phildobaggins (Post 16141071)
The e46 is the best worst automotive purchase I ever made. This creaky old bitch has given me hundreds of hours of wrench time and a lot of fun along the way. I paid 4 grand for a perfect interior, good motor, bad clutch and a body that has been relentlessly dinged up. But for 4k who care, its my beater and I love her.

For 8k your dangerously close to being able to get something much much better, much more reliable, and no where near as pokey.

My next purchase I will make my XI the tow car, I really want to turbo an older 5 series (I forget the designation, the 88-94 style) or turbo a clean e30.

If you can handle the idea of doing your own work on a plasticy brittle money pit then go for it. If you dont like the idea of doing everything yourself, buying alot of tools and crying yourself to sleep while watching yourself in a shame mirror then skip it.

^^ Strongly disagree. Something's wrong with this movie. Care to share how many miles were on this beauty when you purchased it? I'm guessing more then the Space Shuttle? My experience is entirely different and for 8K would recommend to friends.

dcminiman_43 05-05-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles (Post 16141441)
^^ Strongly disagree. Something's wrong with this movie. Care to share how many miles were on this beauty when you purchased it? I'm guessing more then the Space Shuttle? My experience is entirely different and for 8K would recommend to friends.

So your saying this 01 I'm looking at is a good deal? And the condition of it is immaculate like no lie it must of been garage kept and the spare seems to never have ever hit the pavement No cracks in the leather or stretching etc only pkg it has is the premium and HK system and its being sold by a BMW specialist at his shop he's not a salesman he just puts stuff out he was up front with me and we did go over the car and found little things like a common oil leak I guess that happens to the 2.5 and whoever also owned this last also replaced the pulley early but not sure about the belt

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

White_Knuckles 05-06-2014 12:22 AM

Yes, the price seems spot-on for a good deal in my region. Based on mileage and your description I'm thinking that baby has lots of useful and enjoyable life to be had. Forget the pulley and belt stuff going on up here, it's sarcasm from a couple guys playing around. It's funny as a pulley isn't exactly a major repair milestone to us. Cars would be machines and there are no magic cars requiring zero maintenance. They all need maintenance items and repairs. Even Toyota's and Subaru's visit the shop from time to time but the owners seem to cover up said adventures.

Here's the thing - you can drive an "entry level sport luxury sedan" that originally sold for 25-30 thousand dollars for $8K. It has all the amenities the original owner should be enjoying but you can snag all this goodness for 1/3 the price? Yeah, that's a good deal looking at bang for the buck. I converted to German cars several years ago and never looked back. Just look how nice they hold up (actually result of quality build and parts). I often get strange looks when people ask, hey, what year is that? They're sure it's much newer 'cause of the excellent design, lines and condition. I'd like to take credit for being a caring owner but it really goes to BMW 'cause I basically drive and maintain her. No excessive costs or maintenance issues have crossed my path. BTW, I spent $13K for my car with 70K miles at purchase - no regrets 5 years later.

dcminiman_43 05-06-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles (Post 16141661)
Yes, the price seems spot-on for a good deal in my region. Based on mileage and your description I'm thinking that baby has lots of useful and enjoyable life to be had. Forget the pulley and belt stuff going on up here, it's sarcasm from a couple guys playing around. It's funny as a pulley isn't exactly a major repair milestone to us. Cars would be machines and there are no magic cars requiring zero maintenance. They all need maintenance items and repairs. Even Toyota's and Subaru's visit the shop from time to time but the owners seem to cover up said adventures.

Here's the thing - you can drive an "entry level sport luxury sedan" that originally sold for 25-30 thousand dollars for $8K. It has all the amenities the original owner should be enjoying but you can snag all this goodness for 1/3 the price? Yeah, that's a good deal looking at bang for the buck. I converted to German cars several years ago and never looked back. Just look how nice they hold up (actually result of quality build and parts). I often get strange looks when people ask, hey, what year is that? They're sure it's much newer 'cause of the excellent design, lines and condition. I'd like to take credit for being a caring owner but it really goes to BMW 'cause I basically drive and maintain her. No excessive costs or maintenance issues have crossed my path. BTW, I spent $13K for my car with 70K miles at purchase - no regrets 5 years later.

That's something I needed to here :) haha as much as I want a sporty 330Ci I'm also looking at winter And that I'm a student in college still but I've always wanted an E46 since i was young but want to have one I can play with as well as daily drive but I don't see so much enthusiasm with the sedan tho I really never looked to much into the crowd with them, also I may add this doesn't have the sport, cold weather or HID pkg

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use