E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   what do you guys use for swirl marks (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=128097)

nikemykee 12-04-2003 09:29 PM

what do you guys use for swirl marks

i have a jetblack car and everyone knows how hard it is to keep the swirl marks out, i used every type of wax and polish,they come out when waxed and polished but a week later there back and i think the chamois has something to do with it when i dry the car. can i know what you guys use or any tips you can give me to get rid of them.

Presns323i 12-04-2003 09:35 PM

ive never tried it, but i want to......
this is how i think it goes.
remove wax with dawn dishwashing soap.....
then use 3m swirl remover.....
wash off
apply wax?
someone correct me if i am mistaken

nikemykee 12-04-2003 09:41 PM

do you think the dawn dishsoap will take out some of the swirl marks since its removing the wax as well

bobm3 12-04-2003 10:24 PM

try zaino bros.

they have a swirl polish to take out swirl marks. check their web site they will explain it in their.
bobm3 ;) ;)

nikemykee 12-04-2003 10:25 PM

i ordered zaino a while ago and still hasnt come in yet

slow323ci 12-04-2003 10:33 PM

Here's what I did -

To get the swirls out of my Jet Black car here's what I did -

1) wash car thoroughly
2) clay entire car using Pinnacle PolyClay and lubricant
3) polish entire car using Porter-Cable 7424 polisher and Griot's #3 machine polish
4) apply 2 coats of Pinnacle Souveran carnauba paste wax
5) admire the shine

It was a lot of work, I spent 10 hours going over the car. But it shined better than when it was new when Iwas finished.

Not too shabby for a 4-year old car -

http://www.pcsite.dynu.com/small323.jpg

Jupiter19 12-04-2003 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nikemykee
i ordered zaino a while ago and still hasnt come in yet
I ordered on 11/29 and got my package today :dunno:

nikemykee 12-04-2003 11:32 PM

thanks for the help 323 im going to try the dawn then wax and polish step and see where that goes and if it doesnt work looks like im going to be up for a while washing the car

Presns323i 12-04-2003 11:37 PM

slow323: damn, that car is shinin like crazy, like the smoked clears

futurebmw330ci 12-05-2003 02:54 AM

first of all where can swirl marks come from?

And the second question is.. can swirl marks come from the way u dry, polish and wax ur car.

I use the meguiars 3step clean so paint cleaner would be one of the things i apply too
Any suggestions on these?

Micro64 12-05-2003 03:23 AM

That Blackcar is Shining like a new one. Great work!!

slow323ci 12-05-2003 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by futurebmw330ci
first of all where can swirl marks come from?

And the second question is.. can swirl marks come from the way u dry, polish and wax ur car.

I use the meguiars 3step clean so paint cleaner would be one of the things i apply too
Any suggestions on these?

Swirl marks come from the way you wash, dry, and wax your car. Swirls are actually very fine scratches in the paint. The only way to remove swirl marks is to polish the paint with a machine polisher - it is impossible to remove them by hand. You can reduce their visibility by hand, but not remove them. Paint cleaners like the Meguiar's you mention only round off the edges of the swirls so the scratches are less likely to reflect light. Many also have fillers that temporarily fill in the swirls.

It's a fact of life that your car will accumulate swirls as you wash and wax it. All you can do is be sure that when you wash it you use plenty of water, a good car washing soap (my favorite is Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo), and a very clean wash mit or rag (I use a black sheepskin mit on my black car). Then dry very gently using good clean microfiber towels, wiping along the direction of the panel and not in circular motions. Apply wax the same way - gently and with a good clean applicator, in straight lines along the panels, buffing off gently with good clean microfiber towels. I like the microfiber towels from Pakshak.

Here are some links for supplies:
Pinnacle Car Care Products
Best price for Porter Cable
7424 Random-Orbit Polisher

Best machine polish
Good place for microfiber towels

Thanks for the compliments on my car!

twf 12-05-2003 09:50 AM

Slow323ci, awesome job on the car. Where did you get your smoked clear lights? Do you have any pics of the front? Thanks

nikemykee 12-05-2003 11:03 AM

im using the 3 step process right now as well. are the microfiber towels different from the chamois, and are they softer on the car? i was thinking of getting the california waterblade

slow323ci 12-05-2003 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by twf
Slow323ci, awesome job on the car. Where did you get your smoked clear lights? Do you have any pics of the front? Thanks
Thanks! I got the smoked tail lights and front corners from www.procarparts.com. Got the smoked side markers from www.bavauto.com. Here's a front shot:

http://www.pcsite.dynu.com/small_front.jpg

slow323ci 12-05-2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nikemykee
im using the 3 step process right now as well. are the microfiber towels different from the chamois, and are they softer on the car? i was thinking of getting the california waterblade
Microfiber is different than chamois - I used to use a chamois until I "discovered" microfiber. Now I won't let a chamois touch my car. I also am leery of using a water blade, seems like too much risk of scratching. By the way, the microfiber towels they sell at Wal-Mart suck. PakShak seems to have the best towels at the best price, and they are super easy to deal with. I just ordered a bunch of new towels from them yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Chocaine 12-05-2003 04:13 PM

Definitely take slow323's advice and use a machine polish specifically targeted at removing swirls. If you don't want to invest in a buffer, take it to a detailer or live with the swirls. You will go through hell doing it by hand for dissapointing results.
Check out pakshak for microfibers, great service and prices.
Now i've got to buy a ton of stuff for christmas to remove the dealer-installed swirls.

idoc330ci 12-06-2003 01:00 PM

i find using two separate buckets help reduce swirl marks when washing by cutting down on dirt/debris that gets trapped in the wash mitt..:thumbup:

One bucket with just water to rinse the mitt, and the second bucket with the car wash shampoo.

PLAZAMAN 12-06-2003 05:11 PM

Check the Thread out

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=28788

I only did the first 2 steps

wash with dawn
Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze

Works great for swirl marks.

I dont think it removed them, but filled them.

cajms 12-06-2003 05:48 PM

foam pad (ONLY!) on a buffer with 3M "finess-it" foam pad polish will do the trick. Follow up with zaino.