E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Question about the intake... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=12998)

BAVARIAN323i 06-21-2002 04:28 PM

Question about the intake...

I video taped the engine while reving it with the stock and ecis intake.
When the stock intake was in, two little doors simutaneously opened with the reving, on either side of the grill. With the ecis they did not open.
does anyone know why?

drewcon 06-21-2002 04:30 PM

little doors?

no clue...so why did i even respond you ask, I'm not sure.:tongue:

Jspeed 06-22-2002 03:49 AM

I think I know what you're talking about. Those flaps open up when the throttle opens beyond a certain point. When you video taped the ECIS, was the hood open? If so, the heat-shielded area would not be enclosed and the vacuum wouldn't be great enough to open up any of those flaps.

KevinJ_2k1_325ci 06-22-2002 08:54 AM

Exactly

Remember that the ECIS doesn't rely alone on the intake grill. It also is getting a fair amount of air from the front headlight below the bumper. If a great enough vaccum is created those little flaps will open but are negligable with the ECIS since it's getting more air from other areas.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jspeed
I think I know what you're talking about. Those flaps open up when the throttle opens beyond a certain point. When you video taped the ECIS, was the hood open? If so, the heat-shielded area would not be enclosed and the vacuum wouldn't be great enough to open up any of those flaps.

BAVARIAN323i 06-22-2002 10:45 AM

ok, the only thing is that I videoed it with the hood open for both the stock and ECIS. The doors opened for the stock, and not the ecis

Jspeed 06-22-2002 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BAVARIAN323i
ok, the only thing is that I videoed it with the hood open for both the stock and ECIS. The doors opened for the stock, and not the ecis
Yes, but the stock airbox is self-enclosed, where the ECIS relies the hood to be closed to complete the enclosure.

B 06-22-2002 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jspeed

Yes, but the stock airbox is self-enclosed, where the ECIS relies the hood to be closed to complete the enclosure.

yup! :thumbup:

simsima325 06-22-2002 03:58 PM

what if you got rid of these little doors? would you see an increase in power, even with throtle aplications that before would not have created the vacuum to open the doors?
-brendan

KevinJ_2k1_325ci 06-23-2002 12:26 AM

Here's the deal

Since at low end RPM, the throttle is almost completely closed under 2500 RPM, there's very little need for air intake. Once speed builds above 25mph the doors will probably open letting more air in thus letting more air into the throttle. The RPM from 0-2500 relies purely on a small amount of air and more gas mixture for combustion which the ECU takes care of automatically. This is why you need your ECU tuned with a cold air intake if you want to take advantage of it at low end speed, otherwise all the benefit is mostly at the high end RPM.

Bottom line, you will get no benefit from opening the little doors. Get a cold air intake instead with a tuned ECU.