E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Why BMWUSA dont offer M Package (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=13140)

drmirage 06-23-2002 02:16 AM

Why BMWUSA dont offer M Package

I really like the M-package on the E46. I've seen it in other countries and is there a reason why BMWUSA doens't offer them here in the US.

The M package includes:

M Front Bumpers, Side Skirts, Rear Bumper, Rear M Lip Spoiler, M 68 Wheels, M Steering Wheels and the carbon look trim. Lastly the M badge on the rear.

Package may be different in other regions, but I wish we had that.

:tsk:

p0tpie 06-23-2002 02:19 AM

can you post some pics? like the front? is it the m3 front bumper or what

drmirage 06-23-2002 02:21 AM

i have pics that i can take tonight when i get home... i got a catalog at home... but its for the 4dr sedan only. looks pretty tight tho...

Full Time Hit Man 06-23-2002 04:09 AM

Looks like our Canadian M Sport Package.

If you wanna see how it looks, just go to www.bmw.ca

and build a 330ci or 330cic yourself and select M sport package.

325 have M sport package as well, but without the M Technik kit. and type 68 wheels.

Dirtboy 06-23-2002 08:25 AM

heh heh heh... you forgot to mention that the package includes alcantera seats, anthracite headliner, M door sills, M dead pedal, M stick shift (for 5-speed), and there isn't an M badge on the rear. I have a 2002 330ci with the package. It's really sweet, the alcantera seats are what sold me... The whole package only cost $2500 US.:pimpin:

The Jake 06-23-2002 08:45 AM

Think back to the E36. People spent 20k+ more for their M's, and then a bunch of punks like us go and buy a few simple mods and make our POS 330's look just like an M3. (even if the more tasteful punks didn't re-badge)

Enthusiasts cried foul. M3's should look distinctive, not share the same body panels as the other 3-series cars.

I susepect the M-package for 3 series is not avaialble for reasons along these lines. BMW went back to the distinctive M3 with the E46 body style.

(Note: I own a 330, and no I don't think its a POS. But I have respect for th M3 owners... the M3 is one helluva fine automobile. They deserve to stay out.)

Jake

MacHard 06-23-2002 09:49 AM

The M package is not available in the states not because "Enthusiasts cried foul" but, from what I understand, because bmwusa doesn't do built-to-order cars. The M Package is availble everywhere else on the planet.

To me, the M3 remains distinctive. The flared fenders, wider rubber and intakes on the side make it look very stylish. My 330ci doesn't have an "M" badge on the back, and it shouldn't... it's not an M.

And, beyond all of that, my M Package is missing one badge that only one package can add; the most important badge; the one on the engine block that reads: "BMW M POWER" And that badge is what distiguishes it from any "package."

first323 06-23-2002 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MacHard
The M package is not available in the states not because "Enthusiasts cried foul" but, from what I understand, because bmwusa doesn't do built-to-order cars. The M Package is availble everywhere else on the planet.
I don't understand what u r saying?? They don't do built to order cars?!?!....Then why can we order any option pkgs and it takes 2 - 3 months to come to the states. I don't think that is the reason.

drewcon 06-23-2002 11:47 AM

Can we not talk about this...

it just reminds me of all the things i really wanted to get form the factory but couldnt. I tihnk its sooo frustrating that Canada gets better cars than the US, we do buy the most cars in the world, the least we could get is the hooked up versions.

B 06-23-2002 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by first323

I don't understand what u r saying?? They don't do built to order cars?!?!....Then why can we order any option pkgs and it takes 2 - 3 months to come to the states. I don't think that is the reason.

Not to mention the BMW Individual program! :D

wkay 06-23-2002 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by first323

Means BMWUSA severely limits the factory options that they will allow in the US. It's not a factory issue, if BM can source the rest of the world they can source the US too. Marketing 101 to get the rubes to pay more for crap they dont want and feel good about how 'exclusive' they are (like anyone else on the road could care less.., I mean do you care how 'exclusive' someone in a G35 is?).

valerie 06-23-2002 04:01 PM

the version of it that will be sold here, "the Clubsport", will be available soon (will much more then $2500 i believe).

personally i'd rather mod to my taste then pay a premium for what amounts to just another factory stock configuration inside and out (and more importantly you pay for suspension that although different is still inferior to what you can add yourself - even the M cars suspension is better aftermarket)

KevinJ_2k1_325ci 06-23-2002 05:34 PM

I thought the Club Sport was destined for the UK first?

I didn't know it was coming to the US also, were there some new reports of this?

jtravisdavid 06-23-2002 08:59 PM

How bout some pics of that alcantara interior?!!! thanks!