E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OK..... I am defenetely confused.... Can someone tell me whats up? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=13247)

DropTopBM 06-23-2002 10:04 PM

OK..... I am defenetely confused.... Can someone tell me whats up?

Ok.... BMW says the car gets services at 15,000 miles.... I have just under 6,000 right now.... And it says I will need oil service in 5,000 miles when i turn the car on.... thats about 11,000 miles, rather then 15,000..... is this normal? what does it mean?

B 06-23-2002 10:07 PM

Re: OK..... I am defenetely confused.... Can someone tell me whats up?

Quote:

Originally posted by DropTopBM
Ok.... BMW says the car gets services at 15,000 miles.... I have just under 6,000 right now.... And it says I will need oil service in 5,000 miles when i turn the car on.... thats about 11,000 miles, rather then 15,000..... is this normal? what does it mean?

A) Definitely is spelled wrong in your topic! :lmao: :flipoff: :lmao:

B) I'd change your oil now, and at 5k intervals regardless of what the indicator tells you.

C) Your indicator tells me you drive the car pretty hard, and rev the engine up a lot. Which lowers the life expectancy of your oil/filter, and therefore your indicator is telling you you need to change them sooner. In other words... it tells me you've been enjoying ripping around in your Bimmer! :thumbup:

peace
B

Harvinator 06-23-2002 10:08 PM

If you do a lot of city driving, it's probably normal. The OBC figures out what the interval should be based on your driving habits and how you use the car.

For example, my driving consists of mostly short trips around town and the occasional triple-digit blast down a freeway - my oil change indicator lit up at 12k.

DropTopBM 06-23-2002 10:09 PM

ahhh... i knew it.... will bmw service the car before 15,000 miles?

Harvinator 06-23-2002 10:09 PM

Re: Re: OK..... I am defenetely confused.... Can someone tell me whats up?

Quote:

Originally posted by B

A) Definately is spelled wrong in your topic! :lmao: :flipoff: :lmao:

Ahem....it is "definitely" :D :flipoff: :D

AndyXXL 06-23-2002 10:09 PM

From the 2002 3-series brochure:
"Recognizing that each vehicle is used differently and so the need for routine maintenance is different for each vehicle, BMW developed the Service Interval Indicator. It continually analyzes the way the BMW is driven, and uses this analysis to determine when it needs servicing, not just based on miles driven."

Hope this helps.

Harvinator 06-23-2002 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DropTopBM
ahhh... i knew it.... will bmw service the car before 15,000 miles?
If the display says "oil service" then they will for sure....or even give or take a few miles :D

nate328Ci 06-23-2002 10:10 PM

Your service indicator changes its milage recommendation based on how the car it driven. Your car only accounts for the amount of fuel burned and calculates service based on that.

So, I would guess that you get pretty poor fuel mileage

B 06-23-2002 10:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: OK..... I am defenetely confused.... Can someone tell me whats up?

Quote:

Originally posted by Harvinator

Ahem....it is "definitely" :D :flipoff: :D

ROFL!!! :lmao:

mcabr 06-23-2002 10:26 PM

sometimes

I went in to get my oil changed because my service indicator said it was time but they charged me because they said that I was not at 15,000 yet. I got my money back but what bastards. Oh yeah B, I think that you mean indicator. I have never heard of an idicator. :lmao: Shame on you making fun of people's spelling when you are not holding your end of the deal as well.

jestr 06-23-2002 10:26 PM

Its also calculated on how often and times you start your car. :)

B 06-23-2002 10:34 PM

Re: sometimes

Quote:

Originally posted by mcabr
I went in to get my oil changed because my service indicator said it was time but they charged me because they said that I was not at 15,000 yet. I got my money back but what bastards. Oh yeah B, I think that you mean indicator. I have never heard of an idicator. :lmao: Shame on you making fun of people's spelling when you are not holding your end of the deal as well.
English never was my strong suit... and DropTop and I have a thing for jibing each other! :tongue:

but that's clearly a typo, i.e. I thought I hit the 'N' key! :flipoff:

mcabr 06-23-2002 10:36 PM

yeah I think

I think that droptop hates me because I always fuc$ with him. He never answers my questions anymore. I guess he doesn't know I am just playin.

B 06-23-2002 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jestr
not sure, but that's a good point. I could definitely see it having an affect on it...

peace
B

B 06-23-2002 10:38 PM

Re: yeah I think

Quote:

I think that droptop hates me because I always fuc$ with him. He never answers my questions anymore. I guess he doesn't know I am just playin.
who cares what he thinks... he's a:

http://www.clubb5.com/images_forum/newbie.gif

mcabr 06-23-2002 10:39 PM

well I don't

but I was just saying. I think he changed his last sig because of what I said to him. That two pump chump.

B 06-23-2002 10:40 PM

Re: well I don't

Quote:

but I was just saying. I think he changed his last sig because of what I said to him. That two pump chump.
The thuggish ruggish one? :tongue:

How come he's not chiming in on this? Past his bedtime? :flipoff: :lmao:

peace
B

mcabr 06-23-2002 10:46 PM

maybe

He is probably yankin it. Oh wait he is from yonkers.

nate328Ci 06-23-2002 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jestr
only on E46s up to 6/00, later models are solely based on fuel usage

chrisbbb 06-23-2002 11:29 PM

My father owns a mechanic shop so I see quite a few BMWs and such and I must say I dont care what a book or dealer tells me youre crazy if you wait that long to change your oil. Its so cheap to do and it has to be one of the most important changes you can make on your car.................Every 3000 miles if you think youneed it or not, doesnt matter what oil you use