E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Forced Induction... and the new era (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=134595)

Shortshift 01-08-2004 09:34 AM

Forced Induction... and the new era
 
It's about time e46 Fanatics made a FI forumn...:banghead:


For those looking to go FI in the near future you have to be aware of the new Twin-Screw compressor in development.

This is more closer to a "roots" style supercharger than it is a centerfugal supercharger. It is about as costly as a turbo but the reliability is sound. Thats why Mercedes and Ford and Buick all use Roots style in productions cars. This kit in 1 better ..!!

John Conforti (the master) is the one who designed the software for these new kits... here is the link:

http://www.eurosporthighperformance....ercharger.html

Clem 01-08-2004 10:13 AM

I've been following the development in the bimmerforums FI board. Unfortuately it looks like E46 applications are a long way off. :sad:

tim330i 01-08-2004 11:41 AM

a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim

teamdfl 01-08-2004 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tim330i
a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim

Packaging!

A positive displacement blower is the most difficult to package under the hood of a tightly packed E46 because it is larger than a centrifugal supercharger. The pushrod crowd has traditionally mounted a positive displacement blower on top of the lower intake in the lifter valley between the cylinder heads at the expense of intercooling. In recent history, Ford managed to put an intercooled Roots blower in the lifter valley of the 3.8 V6 Thunderbird SC by routing the outlet out the back of the case and around the motor to the front of the car. Cooled air then entered the intake manifold just in front of the blower. This method used up a ton of space in the T-Bird but the car had space to spare with that long hood.

FWIW, I have an Eaton M60 blower from alow milage T-Bird that I was going to retrofit to my old E28. Removing the AC created gobs of space under the block on the passenger side. I sold the car before I was motivated to start making brackets. One of these days I'll pick up a nice E12 and boost the snot out of it.

Ed

xS3x 01-08-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Clem
I've been following the development in the bimmerforums FI board. Unfortuately it looks like E46 applications are a long way off. :sad:
yup..

trybaljedi 01-12-2004 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamdfl
Packaging!

A positive displacement blower is the most difficult to package under the hood of a tightly packed E46 because it is larger than a centrifugal supercharger. The pushrod crowd has traditionally mounted a positive displacement blower on top of the lower intake in the lifter valley between the cylinder heads at the expense of intercooling. In recent history, Ford managed to put an intercooled Roots blower in the lifter valley of the 3.8 V6 Thunderbird SC by routing the outlet out the back of the case and around the motor to the front of the car. Cooled air then entered the intake manifold just in front of the blower. This method used up a ton of space in the T-Bird but the car had space to spare with that long hood.

FWIW, I have an Eaton M60 blower from alow milage T-Bird that I was going to retrofit to my old E28. Removing the AC created gobs of space under the block on the passenger side. I sold the car before I was motivated to start making brackets. One of these days I'll pick up a nice E12 and boost the snot out of it.

Ed


Exactly right. The fab process is ridiculous. Notice the Stillen blower on the 350z. They had to use a powerbuldge just to get it to fit...

stimpee 01-16-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim330i
a bunch of different tuners have been trying this idea and have dropped it....makes me wonder why.

Tim

They dropped it because it is hard as hell to do. I have been working on mine for 2.5 years, and have only been running for about 7 months.

If I actually had to PAY myself for the time it took to do this, I would have given up LONG ago.

Show me some good tuning/software options for the E46, and you may see a kit available sooner than you think!!

Shortshift 01-17-2004 01:13 PM

Hello Stimpee :hi:

Quick question, the Twin-Screw design is a clutchless design correct ..?

stimpee 01-17-2004 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortshift
Hello Stimpee :hi:

Quick question, the Twin-Screw design is a clutchless design correct ..?

Correct. There are some prototypes by the compressor manufacturers that are using clutches, but typically they do not use them yet.

The system uses a bypass valve to reduce parasitic drag of the compressor in off-boost driving.

If anyone is curious as to how it feels, send me an email and stop by. I am in northeastern MD, near the DE border.

My car just feels like it has a significantly larger engine in it!

Steve


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use