E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   ASA / AA hybrid SC setup (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=138997)

greg330i 01-29-2004 04:34 PM

ASA / AA hybrid SC setup

This may sound dumb, but some of the local tuner shops have been telling me that the hardest part of making an SC kit work properly is to actually re-program the ECU/EMS/DME (whatever) with proper software. Seems that AA actually does this, while ASA uses a piggyback module.

So, my point being, I like the ASA blower better than the Rotrex, but AA seems to have done more work on the software side.

Wonder if the AA software could adapt to the ASA charger given it's different boost profile?

Dumb idea?
-Greg

NickACS 01-29-2004 04:53 PM

Search for old threads by 'Cabrioguy'. Also over on Bimmerforums FI forum. He did that exact thing. ASA s/c, tuned by AA...Ahh, living in Miami does have its benefits! :)

Nt_loader 01-29-2004 05:00 PM

ASA uses a piggyback module :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Where did you get this information from?

I am still waiting for renn-sport to have the software available for my kit so that I can upgrade my pulley and injectors.

greg330i 01-29-2004 05:19 PM

From Samir at the rennsport forum:

"You can keep the TB, that will work fine.

You will need to revert the software back to stock for the SK1, the SK2 will have it's own software."

NickACS 01-29-2004 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crispvx
ASA uses a piggyback module :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Where did you get this information from?

I am still waiting for renn-sport to have the software available for my kit so that I can upgrade my pulley and injectors.

Search for threads by 'Cabrioguy'. I know for a fact that he had AA tune it some more. Maybe AA didn't do all the tuning, but they did some. I was in constant talk with him because at that time, I was going to get ASA s/c..
Hope this helps..

greg330i 01-29-2004 05:50 PM

Just got off the phone with Sam at rennsport, and confirmed the SK1 is a piggyback (ASAtronic). For the SK2, they're trying to do a fully programmed ECU, but that's far easier said than done.

Nt_loader 01-29-2004 06:47 PM

WOW you guys consider the ASAtronic a piggy back system ......

greg330i 01-29-2004 06:53 PM

Am I wrong? You have it, I don't.

It is my understanding that there is a seperate box that ties into the ECU and the MAF, etc... Being a seperate box, I call that a piggyback, rather than a fully reprogrammed ECU..

Both ESS and AA don't use external boxes, they reprogram the existing computer. (from what I understand)

Nt_loader 01-29-2004 07:02 PM

The ASAtronic is far from a piggyback system as the only dam thing it does is change the voltage inorder to trick the ecu and keep the SES light off.

Renn-Sport is developing software for the ASA SKI I which I am wating for patiently. This software just tweaks the original bmw ecu config.

The kit runs perfect w/o the software, I just want it so that I can upgrade my injectors and pulley and push my HP into the 400's.

Look out lil man, im comming for you .....

greg330i 01-29-2004 07:10 PM

That'll be nice when they come out with the software. Samir told me I have to remove my Dinan stg3 software and revert my ECU to stock. Suck to have the speed limiter back to 128 with all the additional power the SK1 would give.

Nt_loader 01-29-2004 07:20 PM

Yes I agree. I had to remove my technik software and revert back to stock.

Like I said, the kit runs just fine w/o it, but I need it for my upgrades.

I WANT 400HP NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

digitalinkartis 01-29-2004 07:40 PM

Cabrioguy

Cabrioguy was running the ASA sc setup with custom mapped AA software and a Bell engineering FMU. In case you were wondering... The drawback is the aa software was like $650 additional and the FMU was like another $700. Or you could use a third party stand alone engine management system that bypasses the factory ECU. That is how my buddy jon was running 14psi on a ESS supercharger with an upgraded vortech pulley, 36# injectors and a resleaved head.

Nt_loader 01-29-2004 08:27 PM

Im going to wait for the ASA software, that should be all I need for now.

KromeX 01-29-2004 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalinkartis
Cabrioguy was running the ASA sc setup with custom mapped AA software and a Bell engineering FMU. In case you were wondering... The drawback is the aa software was like $650 additional and the FMU was like another $700. Or you could use a third party stand alone engine management system that bypasses the factory ECU. That is how my buddy jon was running 14psi on a ESS supercharger with an upgraded vortech pulley, 36# injectors and a resleaved head.

How much power did your friend put down at 14psi?

greg330i 01-29-2004 08:53 PM

hijack my own thread

so, price of SC, Clutch, etc...
maybe i'll just trade in on a 2001 low miles M5 :)

Own my car outright, so trade my car + about $15k = M5

of course, then i'll get the mod bug again and then my wife will really kill me.

edit:
Nothing seems ready for the E46 330's, not like they've been out almost 4 years.
ATP turbo - i wish
ASA with real software - ""
Positive displacement SC (screw, helix, etc) - ??? maybe someday

digitalinkartis 02-01-2004 07:06 PM

Alot....

Quote:

Originally Posted by KromeX
How much power did your friend put down at 14psi?

Didn't get it dynoed @ 14psi. But we saw the boost gauge shoot to 14 while running against an E46 M3 on the highway. We had a couple of runs from 50+ and we literally left him like he was standin still (we had signalled to race and he signalled back). Should have seen the guys face the first time we pulled away. so he came back for more and we just kept eatin him.

one thing to note.
At that power the car performed amazingly. But Just recently My friends 330 had some mechanical problems and it turned out the driveshaft was cracked. Luckily we knew night service manager and it was fixed under warranty. But we were told that this was the first reported 330 driveshaft crack in NA.

BTW...How have you worked around the exhaust manifold issue with the ATP turbo????
Are you using an external engine management system??
When can we get our hands on this kit?

mtfour 02-01-2004 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalinkartis
Didn't get it dynoed @ 14psi. But we saw the boost gauge shoot to 14 while running against an E46 M3 on the highway. We had a couple of runs from 50+ and we literally left him like he was standin still (we had signalled to race and he signalled back). Should have seen the guys face the first time we pulled away. so he came back for more and we just kept eatin him.

Now that's what I want to hear!!!

xS3x 02-02-2004 02:54 AM

i heard ATP postponed the release dates again

xxcosmicxx 02-06-2004 09:26 PM

I heard that as well....:banghead:

racingdynamics2 02-06-2004 10:36 PM

i did too and i wonder Y ! :dunno:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxcosmicxx
I heard that as well....:banghead: