E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Installed Subwoofer and AMP (CAR is SLOW NOW) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=151462)

SpaceAge808 03-23-2004 03:40 PM

Installed Subwoofer and AMP (CAR is SLOW NOW)

Hey guys,
I am going to post this in the ICE section as well. I own a 2000 328i. I recently hooked up my subwoofers and an Amp to my car. The sound is great. However, now my car feels super sluggish. My miles per gallon has gone down sooooo much. I usuallly average around 16.8 City and now I am getting around 12.9-13 miles per gallon.
It has been a long time since I have had a sub in my car. Is this normal? Is it the weight of the speakers that is taking my MPG way up? What could explain the sluggish acceleration? I have tried searching. Perhaps my parameters just sucked. But if anyone can help a fellow fanatic out, I would be greatly appreciative.

Rich

Tenchi 03-23-2004 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceAge808
Hey guys,
I am going to post this in the ICE section as well. I own a 2000 328i. I recently hooked up my subwoofers and an Amp to my car. The sound is great. However, now my car feels super sluggish. My miles per gallon has gone down sooooo much. I usuallly average around 16.8 City and now I am getting around 12.9-13 miles per gallon.
It has been a long time since I have had a sub in my car. Is this normal? Is it the weight of the speakers that is taking my MPG way up? What could explain the sluggish acceleration? I have tried searching. Perhaps my parameters just sucked. But if anyone can help a fellow fanatic out, I would be greatly appreciative.

Rich

:confused:
are your speakers like 18inch or something and weigh 300 pounds each?

SpaceAge808 03-23-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10chi
:confused:
are your speakers like 18inch or something and weigh 300 pounds each?

No, I am running to 10 inch premier subs. with an old kicker zr360 amp.
what else could it be?

ca1242 03-23-2004 03:54 PM

What type of box do you have? A fiberglass enclosure weighs a lot less than MDF.

SpaceAge808 03-23-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca1242
What type of box do you have? A fiberglass enclosure weighs a lot less than MDF.

I am not using any fancy box. No fiber glass or bandpass or carbon fiber. Just a regular sealed box made of wood. Average in size and weight.

From the responses that I have been receiving, most people are speculating that it is the Weight of the box. Is there any electrical reason for this or something else that could have happened during the install?

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep em coming please.

ca1242 03-23-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

I am not using any fancy box. No fiber glass or bandpass or carbon fiber. Just a regular sealed box made of wood. Average in size and weight.

From the responses that I have been receiving, most people are speculating that it is the Weight of the box. Is there any electrical reason for this or something else that could have happened during the install?

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep em coming please.

Typically, the average box/subwoofers/amp, etc add about the same weight as having an extra person in the car. How does your mpg change when you have someone else in the car?

An easy way to find out if your system weight is causing the problems is to just take the subwoofer box out for a day or two and drive around. See how things improve.

SpaceAge808 03-23-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca1242
Typically, the average box/subwoofers/amp, etc add about the same weight as having an extra person in the car. How does your mpg change when you have someone else in the car?

An easy way to find out if your system weight is causing the problems is to just take the subwoofer box out for a day or two and drive around. See how things improve.

Thats a good idea. i will try removing them just to see the exact affect. However, I have driven around with 2 people before and the worst my mileage will go is 15. 12.6-13 is a lot less than what I usually expect with people in my car. Maybe I have super subs or something.

Could it be something else other than speaker weight? I will definately look into that. If it is only the weight, then I am not concerned too much. It's a sacrafice. But my drop seems to be excessive, and I can notice considerably my decrease in performance.

I am worried that it is something more serious. That if i dont address it soon, it could be detrimental to my vehicles longevity. If someone can think of something else it could be, please go ahead and throw it out. All suggestions will be appreciated.

vert 03-23-2004 04:12 PM

Quote:

Hey guys,
My miles per gallon has gone down sooooo much. I usuallly average around 16.8 City and now I am getting around 12.9-13 miles per gallon.

The only way this is possible is if you punched a hole thru your gas tank while installing the sub. :idea:

SpaceAge808 03-23-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vert
The only way this is possible is if you punched a hole thru your gas tank while installing the sub. :idea:

Are you seriously suggesting this as a possibiilty? How can I check this out? How can I find out?
Thanks for the idea.

I hope this is not the case, OUCH

vert 03-23-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Are you seriously suggesting this as a possibiilty? How can I check this out? How can I find out?
Thanks for the idea.

I hope this is not the case, OUCH

Dude, that was a JOKE... although behind every joke there is some truth... anyways, if you thought this was at ALL possible, park your car for a while and see if there are any leaks. :thumbup:

mozaic 03-23-2004 08:44 PM

There is no way one thing has anyting to do with the other. Wait....are you listening to Lawrence Welk or Wayne Newton? That might slow you down.

Quote:

Hey guys,

Rich

SmurfM3 03-26-2004 01:18 AM

well maybe your car is using 2nd gear when it used to use 3rd gear if its an automatic?

it might be using lower gears in order to acheive the same speeds?

not sure why............. weird.

31st330i 03-26-2004 09:00 AM

when I ****canned the my a/d/s/ system (with sub woofer encloser) my car felt faster. the weight difference without the amp, enclosure and sub was noticible. will never add a sub like that to a bimmer again (or any other car, except an SUV).

0hMyGod 03-26-2004 11:33 AM

I think it might be gas tank. :dunno: My friend did that too.

FlyingDutchMan 03-27-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juniorstudio
I think it might be gas tank. :dunno: My friend did that too.

Yeah, but a leaking gas tank wouldn't effect the MPG reading, it would just kill you actually driving range.