E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Water Pump. Anyone replace their own? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162642)

mcabr 05-04-2004 10:41 PM

Water Pump. Anyone replace their own?

I searched on this topic and it seems reasonably easy so I was wondering if anyone else had done this and how hard it is. I am able to do most installs but playing with the engine seems kind of ify to me. However, when looking into the engine bay the waterpump is pretty much just right there once I take the fan off and radiator or whatever. Any opinions on this?

ToeKnee 05-04-2004 10:43 PM

I want to know this too. Car has 50K and I think i will be replacing it in the near future

mcabr 05-04-2004 11:07 PM

hm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToeKnee
I want to know this too. Car has 50K and I think i will be replacing it in the near future

Is yours rattling and making churning noises at low rpms?

darth 05-05-2004 01:02 AM

water pump adventure... starting tomorrow... maybe..

My serpentine belt broke and wrapped itself around the water pump pulley. (The pump is junked and I think that cause the failure) So I put a call into Pacific and there overnighting some belts and a new pump. If things arrive when they should, I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow night.

The only area of concern is the Bentley maual says to coat the water pump o-ring with lubricant but not what type. Any ideas anyone?

mcabr 05-05-2004 01:09 AM

hmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by darth
My serpentine belt broke and wrapped itself around the water pump pulley. (The pump is junked and I think that cause the failure) So I put a call into Pacific and there overnighting some belts and a new pump. If things arrive when they should, I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow night.

The only area of concern is the Bentley maual says to coat the water pump o-ring with lubricant but not what type. Any ideas anyone?

Some people say they spray it with WD40. Maybe you could use some ion grease or whatever that stuff is called that is white. Looks like crisco. I think that a thin coat of that would be good. I look forward to your results.

niL 05-05-2004 01:33 AM

if you can get the radiator out it is no problem at all. may i add the radiator is easy as hell to get out too.

RushRacer 05-05-2004 05:09 AM

Quote:

In case it helps at all, I find this link helpful for my short memory...

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...countermat.pdf

Use the copper, btw. :thumbup:

darth 05-06-2004 10:59 PM

thanks RushRacer.

mcabr,

turns out pacific didn't ship the same day i ordered the parts..so i wont be doing the change until friday. i've already lossened the old water pump to make sure it will come off and it looks like it will. i'll see if i can get some pix of the process. i don't think there'll be much to it though.

mcabr 05-07-2004 09:31 AM

yeah okay

Quote:

thanks RushRacer.

mcabr,

turns out pacific didn't ship the same day i ordered the parts..so i wont be doing the change until friday. i've already lossened the old water pump to make sure it will come off and it looks like it will. i'll see if i can get some pix of the process. i don't think there'll be much to it though.

I need to order my parts so I can do the install. I just got my AC compressor yesterday I am going to think about putting that in too.

sullyz 05-07-2004 11:04 AM

I replaced the water pump on my 323ci quite a while ago. It was relatively easy.
There isn't a great deal of clearance due to the fan, but manageable. I'm not sure how much clearance there is with the four door though..... at least you've got a manual trans so that should help.
There's only something like four 10mm bolts that hold it on, so once you get the belt off it's a breeze. O rings are used to seal it so there's no gasket scraping or anything.

Alan L. 05-07-2004 11:27 AM

Take pics guys....i might want to change mine soon.

How much does a new water pump go for?

Alan

mcabr 05-07-2004 02:51 PM

here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan L.
Take pics guys....i might want to change mine soon.

How much does a new water pump go for?

Alan

Here is a link to a good website http://www.alloembmwparts.com/bmw-ac-compressor.html

They run about 60 bucks and free shipping and I think that the o ring is like 3 bucks.

darth 05-07-2004 10:23 PM

water pump replacement

3 Attachment(s)
:thumbup: :woot: :woot: :thumbup:

I am mobile again.

Ok so I changed my water pump this after noon. I started at 4 pm and the old pump was off the engine by 4:05 pm. (My drive belt had been torn to shreds by the water pump pulley. All I had left were little bits of rubber and a really long thin wire.)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...id=76844&stc=1

1. Water Pulley bolt
2. Water Pulley
3. Water pump
4. O-ring, included with pump
5. Nut

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...tid=76843&stc=
The pump is held on by 4 nuts (red arrows). Simply remove them and then get 2 M6 screws and put them in the threaded holes and tighten them in. (white arrows). You can skip this and simply pullout the pump, but since I had my fan off I didn't want the pump to go flying into my radiator os I opted for caution.

Lube the o-ring on the new pump with some coolant to help with installation. Mount the pump on to the 4 threaded studs and then tighten the nuts.
Pump was installation was done by 4:15 pm.

Next step was to put my drive and ac belts back on. ac belt = no brainer. drive belt = headache.

The Bentley manual is wrong, as previously mentioned before by others. :hmm: The tensioner bolt is under the cap on the ilder pointed here, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...id=76845&stc=1
30 mintues later, the job was done.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions. I apolpgize for the crappy posting, I don't know how to get pictures to show up.

Obsidian 05-07-2004 10:37 PM

Thanks for the write-up and illustrations. :thumbup:

niL 05-07-2004 10:37 PM

wow 4 to 4:05! I assume you worked from under the car to get it out then since it's so low. Kudos to you

RushRacer 05-08-2004 12:25 AM

Great news! Thanks for posting some tips that'll come in handy in the future.

:thumbup:

darth 05-08-2004 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niL
wow 4 to 4:05! I assume you worked from under the car to get it out then since it's so low. Kudos to you

actually, i just did it from the top. you have to remove the air intake duct that goes over the center of the radiator and take out the fan which takes like 2 minutes. (My car is manual so I didn't have to worry about a fan clutch. Also i did it earlier the day prior cuz I thought I was getting by parts the day before.) The rest should be as easy as pie. By the way if you go to Rogue Engineering and look up thier pulley install directions it will tell you exactly what you need.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/pdf/...er_pulleys.pdf

All in all I'ld say it should take you about 1 hrs from the time you pop your hood to the time you can roll if your being really carefull and taking your time. (It took me a little over an hour and that is including the 15 min I spent online looking for the drive belt tensioner adjustment bolt.)

mcabr 05-08-2004 10:46 AM

thats great

This is just the type of information I was hoping someone would provide. Thanks a lot for taking the time to post pics and everything. I have a manual car too so it looks like it is not going to be a hard install. The AC compressor on the other hand looks kind of complicated. Maybe someone will do that install too. hehe. :thumbup:

bbh03 05-19-2004 09:20 PM

Did you have a problem torquing the bolts on the water pump pulley? I was installing pulleys today and one snaped I think under less than 15 ft/lbs of torque. I have to check tomorrow but I hope the bolt snapped and not stripped threads in the water pump rotor or els Ill be doing the same thing as you soon:bawling:

Alan L. 05-19-2004 09:48 PM

When you guys take the water pump out, does tons of coolant come pouring out?

Also, I noticed that most "oem bmw parts" site actually sells water pumps manufactured by Graff and other companies..... I'm wondering if its better to just get oem bmw made pumps or one of these other brands. Doesn't seem like the factory pumps lasts that long but i've also heard that some aftermarket pumps making weird noises once installed. What do you guys think?

Alan