E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   removing rear backrest (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=175118)

ttran 06-24-2004 12:18 AM

removing rear backrest

anyone know how to remove the rear backrest on a 2001 E46 Coupe? not the cushion you sit on but the part your back rests against, hence the name, that folds down. i searched every posible combination of words e.g., backrest, rear seat back, rear seat, etc...) but couldn't come up with any directions.

bluecougar 06-24-2004 12:26 AM

There's like screws somewhere and then you just pull it off. My friend removed mine when I got my 2-tone interior, so I dont really know exactly how to do it...

ttran 06-24-2004 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecougar
There's like screws somewhere and then you just pull it off. My friend removed mine when I got my 2-tone interior, so I dont really know exactly how to do it...

haha, that helps a lot.

jtabbagh 06-24-2004 01:04 AM

Headrests

While we are at it, does anyone know how to remove the rear headrests on an E46 coupe? Just to get access to the rear shelf.

ttran 06-24-2004 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtabbagh
While we are at it, does anyone know how to remove the rear headrests on an E46 coupe? Just to get access to the rear shelf.

you just pull straight up on them. chances are, the headrest will come out but the 2 metal rods will still be stuck to the shelf. just pull up on them with a twisting motion and they'll come right out.

bluecougar 06-24-2004 01:12 AM

Yes pull really really HARD!!!!

ttran 06-24-2004 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecougar
Yes pull really really HARD!!!!

try not the crack your knuckles on the rear glass. it hurts.

mcabr 10-15-2004 03:03 AM

hopefully

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttran
try not the crack your knuckles on the rear glass. it hurts.

I hope that you punch yourself in the face when you pull it out. TTRANNY

Beckham007 10-15-2004 02:15 PM

soo can we comlpletely take off those head headrests fro teh coupes???

ttran 10-16-2004 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckham007
soo can we comlpletely take off those head headrests fro teh coupes???

yep. they come right out. just pull straight up and wiggle it from side to side.

andysapp 02-21-2005 06:11 PM

Has anyone figured out how to remove the entire rear backrests for a coupe withe 60/40 split-folding seats? I've searched and searched, and can't seem to find where anyone had any luck.

The split seats definitely don't just pull out. There was one bolt at the base of the backrests between the two sections with a torx bolt connecting them to a bracket. I removed it, but that's not the magic bolt. I felt behind the side cushions where the backrests connect to the outer sides of the car, and felt a rounded male connecting piece that felt like it was used to seat the fitting - it wasn't a bolt or a nut... it felt like if there was a freed connection in the middle, the two sides would just pull right out. My issue is, I can't figure out what is holding the two backrests down.

I have a Bentley manual - but it only has teardown of the seats without the split-folding option.

Any advise??

andysapp 02-22-2005 01:09 PM

I guess I can take that as a no.

andysapp 02-28-2005 01:02 AM

For future reference... in case anyone would like to know how to pull your 60/40 split-folding seats... here's how you do it:

http://driftmechaniks.com/images/for...tSeats~e46.jpg

Getting those four bolts loose is not easy... you have little to absolutely no room to get a wrench in from above for the top two (you have to pull back the back-section of trunk carpet to access them), and from underneath for the bottom two (your back seat cushion must be removed to access them).

Once those four bolts are removed... you have to wiggle and work the sections out from the middle, applying a twisting motion to the entire piece to get the male guide pieces out of their receptors. It's a bit of a wrestling match... but eventually you'll get it.

jstar41 07-02-2005 10:02 PM

^^^ don't listen to him.. it's not necessary to do that crap.. i spent about 1 hour trying this and to my surprise b4 removing those 4 bolts there is a cap on top of that metal bracket.. all you have to do is remove that one bolt and pull the seats towards you.. that's all... this info above is totally wrong! !!

andysapp 07-03-2005 04:25 AM

You're right... that info is totally wrong. My seat actually came out with dental floss, two magnets, and half of a Subway sandwich.
:thumbsup:

BMWBoiDE 07-04-2005 08:22 AM

Thats wrong

Do not take out all that stuff. Fold down the rear seats, in between the 2 halves of the rear seat there is one 30 Torx bolt. Remove the bolt, then work the bracket the bolt was holding down out. Its just a cover. Pull up the rear seat out of the slot (where that bracket was), then twist the seat towards you and pull out the other side (it just has a pin that goes into a hole on the outer sides. I had my rear seats out in less than 3 minutes.

jstar41 07-04-2005 10:10 PM

hey bro.. that's exactly how long it took me after I figured it out.. heheh. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWBoiDE
Do not take out all that stuff. Fold down the rear seats, in between the 2 halves of the rear seat there is one 30 Torx bolt. Remove the bolt, then work the bracket the bolt was holding down out. Its just a cover. Pull up the rear seat out of the slot (where that bracket was), then twist the seat towards you and pull out the other side (it just has a pin that goes into a hole on the outer sides. I had my rear seats out in less than 3 minutes.

andysapp 07-09-2005 02:38 PM

Like I said... dental floss, two magnets, and half of a Subway sandwich.

lulubboy 02-24-2006 10:55 AM

DOES anybody know how to get INTo the trunk through the rear seats?

my trunk is stuck.. i wanted to access it from behind.

6420russell 08-20-2009 02:11 PM

the head rests are easy ! if you lift the edge of the shelf up under the headrests ! you will see a pin holding the headrest in place ! there are 4 of these ! remove them all and they will just come out !

and there is no way in to the boot from the inside ! have you tried holding the button on your key fob ! ?