E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Tires for Auto-Xing? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=175329)

Cecil328i 06-24-2004 07:26 PM

Tires for Auto-Xing?

Do I need to find a cheap set of tires and rims for my car to autocross? I just now got new tires on and wanted to know how fast the tread wears down on the track. If it's a lot of tread, I might look into getting some cheap tires and rims.

teamdfl 06-28-2004 07:03 AM

Run whatever is on tyhe car for the first few events. See how you and your car perform before plunking down money on dedicated wheels and tires. When you are ready, curb rashed take offs are a good investment. 17x8 type 44s can be found for $100 each or less. Budget minded tires for the autocross or driving school include the Falken Azenis and Yokohama ES100.

Ed

Cecil328i 06-28-2004 07:43 AM

alright thanks Ed. Went to an autocross this past weekend, just to see what its like, i think i could do it, but i'm a bit nervous that ill just screw up.

Jspeed 06-28-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecil328i
alright thanks Ed. Went to an autocross this past weekend, just to see what its like, i think i could do it, but i'm a bit nervous that ill just screw up.

... then take the opportunity to learn driving smoothly as opposed to wrestling with the car. You'll turn in faster times and lessen tire wear.

Spiral Prophet 07-03-2004 03:59 AM

yeah.. definetly start off with streets.. learn to drive em smoothly.. then you can migrate up to r compounds.. the falkens are like THE tire of choice for people who still run street tires.. they can't be beat for the price and performance... if you are gonna go up to R compounds.. the kumho v700 victoracers are the tires to get.. they last the longest and still give good performance.. you can expect on average to get around 80 - 100 autocross runs on a set of victoracers as opposed to 40 - 50 on the ecstas or hoosiers..

just my $0.02..

~T|/\/\

notE46 07-03-2004 02:10 PM

I wouldn't even use Azenis until you are fairly skilled. They are very sticky and can mask some mistakes just like R Compounds can but to a smaller degree.

I ran with street tires (dunlop 8080e and then toyo t1-s) for 3 years before I changed to the Azenis and they grip really well for a non R-compound tire.

Commander FAT 07-03-2004 10:27 PM

Ive just been using the Michelin Pilot Sports that came on my car. They seem to be good for me.

They are starting to get pretty low in tread. I'll probably end up getting a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports PS2s.

notE46 07-04-2004 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander FAT
Ive just been using the Michelin Pilot Sports that came on my car. They seem to be good for me.

They are starting to get pretty low in tread. I'll probably end up getting a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports PS2s.

would you mind giving your impressions of the PS2 when you autox with them?

Thanks.

Commander FAT 07-08-2004 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notE46
would you mind giving your impressions of the PS2 when you autox with them?

Thanks.

Yes, as a matter of fact I would mind.

Kidding.

I don't know if I'll be needing them in time for this season but almost definitley I'll need them for next year's autocrossing season.

notE46 07-09-2004 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander FAT
Yes, as a matter of fact I would mind.

Kidding.

I don't know if I'll be needing them in time for this season but almost definitley I'll need them for next year's autocrossing season.

hehe. i can say that toyo t1-s are no good for autox. the tread is too soft. i wore them out in about 20events. well the outside of the treads wore out, the rest of the tread was fine.

mfino 07-09-2004 09:22 AM

I'm running on Kumho Ecsta MX's and I am really happy with them. Great performer on Auto-x for a street tire.

teamdfl 07-09-2004 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notE46
...well the outside of the treads wore out, the rest of the tread was fine.

Put some real suspension on that POS coupe. ;)