E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Gary: New Wheels and Tires wobbling (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=180419)

UNameIt 07-15-2004 10:41 AM

Gary: New Wheels and Tires wobbling
 
This is to Gary specifically. I just received my new 18x8.5 BBS Ch wheels and Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires from Tire Rack. The tires were pre-mounted and balanced.

I installed the wheels last night and now I have a pronounced wobble at lower speeds (under 40). I haven't had a chance to take the car out on the highway yet. By the way, these look great on my car...luv em.

The wheels all came with hubcentric rings. When I installed them I was sure to set the lug nut torque to 87lbs ( I believe that is the recommended torque).

Question: In the event I need to have the wheels re-balanced, can I expect to receive some type of monetary compensation back from TireRack? Does TireRack have a policy that specifically addresses this scenario? Rebalancing is going to run me about 100 bucks!

Gary@Tirerack 07-15-2004 10:43 AM

Yes, once and awhile tires/wheels can arrive not perfectly balanced for various reasons (although under 40MPH sounds odd). Just contact my customer service department at 1-800-428-8355, ext 386 for assistance. They'll likely direct you to a local installer (hopefully one with a Hunter Road Force machine to see exactly where the issue is, as wobble under 40MPH is odd) and have you fax an invoice over for reimbursement.

Ronzo 07-15-2004 10:47 AM

Tire Rack Rules

UNameIt 07-15-2004 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack
Yes, once and awhile tires/wheels can arrive not perfectly balanced for various reasons (although under 40MPH sounds odd). Just contact my customer service department at 1-800-428-8355, ext 386 for assistance. They'll likely direct you to a local installer (hopefully one with a Hunter Road Force machine to see exactly where the issue is, as wobble under 40MPH is odd) and have you fax an invoice over for reimbursement.

Thanks for the quick response Gary. Much appreciated. I thought it was odd too that the wheels would wobble at low speed as well. I'm going to remount tonight, just in case I did something wrong. There are several recommended mounting operations nearby. I'll check to make sure they have the machine you described before proceeding.

Thanks again.

Gary@Tirerack 07-15-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNameIt
Thanks for the quick response Gary. Much appreciated. I thought it was odd too that the wheels would wobble at low speed as well. I'm going to remount tonight, just in case I did something wrong. There are several recommended mounting operations nearby. I'll check to make sure they have the machine you described before proceeding.

Thanks again.

I am sorry for the inconvenience as well...

Might want to double check that all four rings are the same, the hub is clear of debris..ect too .

Also be sure to call customer service before going to the shop, rather than after.

UNameIt 08-16-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack
I am sorry for the inconvenience as well...

Might want to double check that all four rings are the same, the hub is clear of debris..ect too .

Also be sure to call customer service before going to the shop, rather than after.

I forgot to get back to you on what happened with these wheels. Well...it turned out that one of the Hub Centric rings was seated incorrectly and when I installed the wheel it was on crooked (thank god I didn't take this thing out on the freeway when this was going on). Anyway, when I got my suspension installed the installers found the problem. In fact they said that that one ring didn't want to seat correctly at all. They were eventually able to get the ring in far enough. Everything is A-OK.

davemon 08-19-2004 06:38 PM

Hi Guys,

I am new here... I just read this one as I was looking to learn about wheel options for my new ride.

In a case like this the way to know it's going wrong with y ou hubcentric spacers is this... when your torquing them it should take a pretty small amount of turn on the wrench to go from say 45 ft lbs to 85 ft lbs (something in the order of half a turn or less). If it take a whole 360 turn or more on the bolt you have them seated wrong and most likely it sort of popped out on you. It's alwasy good to double check your torque and go around the wheel again and when you seat the centering rign wrong it often shows up here too as you will be able to turn the previously tight bolt more. I have spent a lot of time at the track and road raced for a while... you see this all the time and even more so at autox's with more folks new to changing wheels and centering rings.

Cheers,
Dave


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use