E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How to replace front turn signal bulb? 00 328i (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=191108)

trdehmer 08-27-2004 08:13 AM

How to replace front turn signal bulb? 00 328i

Looks like the drivers side turn signal bulb burnt out (I hope thats it compared to an electrical issue). I took a quick peek before work to see how easy it would be to replace. Doesn't look so easy - so, I do I replace it? What needs to be removed to get at the bulb and what kind of bulb is it?

cgrizzly888 08-27-2004 08:37 AM

Read the owner's manual. You need a screwdriver to release the corner light, very simple.

Alex 08-27-2004 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrizzly888
Read the owner's manual. You need a screwdriver to release the corner light, very simple.

:werd: .........all you need is a thing, long screwdriver to push down on a lever (use a flashlight to see where you're pushing) and at the same time, pull the corner light to release.

Alex

trdehmer 08-27-2004 08:53 AM

Any idea what type of bulb I need to get? Figured I stop at Champion auto on the way home to get the bulb......

Alex 08-27-2004 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trdehmer
Any idea what type of bulb I need to get? Figured I stop at Champion auto on the way home to get the bulb......

I don't think they have it at Champion, you need a 2-pin bulb, I believe it's an 1156 or 1157 bulb

Alex

acitydweller 08-27-2004 09:01 AM

champion should be able to look up the bulb type for your car. Alternatively you can check www.sylvania.com under the automotive lighting application section for the details.

HamannGirLR714 08-28-2004 01:35 AM

1156 bulb use nail filer to file down on side or its a 7506 bulb exact fit. theres a hole right on top of corner lense when u pop hood. use flathead to push down to release then pull a little on lense while doing so to come out.

scoliosis 11-17-2004 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamannGirLR714
1156 bulb use nail filer to file down on side or its a 7506 bulb exact fit. theres a hole right on top of corner lense when u pop hood. use flathead to push down to release then pull a little on lense while doing so to come out.

Sylvania says to use 7528 as bulb replacement. It has 2 positive contacts and 2 filaments. This is the WRONG replacement bulb. Took the bulb out of my car and it only has 1 positive contact and 1 filament. I'll check 7506 next and see if it'll fit. Thanks.

scoliosis 11-18-2004 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoliosis
Sylvania says to use 7528 as bulb replacement. It has 2 positive contacts and 2 filaments. This is the WRONG replacement bulb. Took the bulb out of my car and it only has 1 positive contact and 1 filament. I'll check 7506 next and see if it'll fit. Thanks.

7506 is the correct bulb type. Just replaced mine and it's all ok now.

BMW330xi01 11-18-2004 12:28 AM

if its a turn signal then its 1156 front and rear turn signals, reverse and OUTSIDE bulb set on the tails its a 75XX on the inside set on the tails

Lysander 09-30-2012 07:35 PM

Replacing Turn Signal Bulb

After 8 yrs ownership of a 328i I have to say that this site and others is the source of as much misinformation as helpful information. First of all, you do NOT push down on anything to release the lens and the owners manual is basically useless, as it simply says "release the lever" but doesn't tell you how.
Looking through the oval hole, the first thing you'll see is a black flat piece of plastic. Do NOT push down on this or the silver-colored prong sticking out from it. Look a bit deeper and you'll notice a white tab, no more than 3" deep, so
you don't (as some claim) need a long screwdriver and a straight edge is no more helpful than a Phillips as you just need to get the screwdriver behind the tab and push it away from you, thus causing the end of the screwdriver to
push the lens out. It doesn't take a lot of force, so if it's not budging, you're behind the wrong tab. After it pops out, simply turn the receptacle and then the bulb to replace it. To reinstall, line up the prongs into the slots and push in until it clicks. (With all due respect, if you're giving advice, first be sure that it's correct).

pablofe 09-30-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander (Post 14775848)
First of all, you do NOT push down on anything to release the lens and the owners manual is basically useless, as it simply says "release the lever" but doesn't tell you how.
Looking through the oval hole, the first thing you'll see is a black flat piece of plastic. Do NOT push down on this or the silver-colored prong sticking out from it. Look a bit deeper and you'll notice a white tab, no more than 3" deep, so
you don't (as some claim) need a long screwdriver and a straight edge is no more helpful than a Phillips as you just need to get the screwdriver behind the tab and push it away from you, thus causing the end of the screwdriver to
push the lens out. It doesn't take a lot of force, so if it's not budging, you're behind the wrong tab.

Many thanks for this note. Was not having any success pushing down on the other two "tabs", and yours was the only helpful post I could find out there.

Many thanks!

-Pablo

John in VA 10-01-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lysander (Post 14775848)
After 8 yrs ownership of a 328i I have to say that this site and others is the source of as much misinformation as helpful information. First of all, you do NOT push down on anything to release the lens and the owners manual is basically useless, as it simply says "release the lever" but doesn't tell you how.
Looking through the oval hole, the first thing you'll see is a black flat piece of plastic. Do NOT push down on this or the silver-colored prong sticking out from it...

I beg to differ. Perhaps you have aftermarket turn signals, but for my stock units on an unmolested 10/99-production 328i it is necessary to put downward pressure on the plastic tang to release the unit. It clicks/locks into place when reinstalled.

Lysander 10-02-2012 08:39 AM

Mine is also late '99 with original lenses, so it seems that there was
at least two versions. A great example why it's so important to qualify
statements with "your's may be different..."