E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Need advice on suspension and brake upgrades for e46 M3 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=199572)

TJe46M3 10-01-2004 11:42 AM

Need advice on suspension and brake upgrades for e46 M3

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! I am new member of the E46Fanatics. I think this site is great and the camaraderie between fellow car enthusiasts is terrific.

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice on suspension and brake upgrades for my car (2004 M3 6sp coupe). I plan on tracking it often next year, but it's still my daily driver. I recently purchased SSR Competition 18 inch wheels with Hoosier tires. I thought the next logical step would be to upgrade the brakes and suspension.

For brakes, I was considering:

1. 355mm x 32 mm Front Brembo kit

2. 355mm x 32 mm Front StopTech kit

3. Dinan has 380mm x 32mm Front Brembo kit (slotted rotors)

all of the above are 4 piston calipers

I wanted to know if slotted or drilled were better rotors.

Also are 4 piston calipers good enough for tracking? (I saw a forum with someone who had 6 piston calipers).

Also, I was thinking of just getting the front brakes upgraded for now because of the large expense, and getting the rear brakes installed next year. Is this ok to do?

For suspension, I was considering:

1. Dinan stage 3 (Koni brand)

2. Bilstein coil overs

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot for your help.

e46m3er 10-06-2004 07:22 PM

if you m is your daily driver, you should consider pss9, i have pss9 and am running softest for street driving, ride is not too harsh, but some people said pss9 is not good enough for track. Also pss9 doesn't go as low as the h&r, kw, or the groundcontrol

Commander FAT 10-07-2004 12:01 AM

Here's what I think. If you're just starting out doing driver schools, open track days, or autocrosses keep everything stock (your M3 is a beast to begin with). The most I would do is flush out the stock brake fluid with ATE Super Blue for driver schools and buy a replacement set of sport brake pads if/when you need them at a driver school.

I've done zero mods to my car (save for my short shifter and ATE Super Blue) and I did about a dozen autocrosses as well as one driver school this year. I've had a freaking blast and all I got is a winmpy 330ci. :)

Don't do jack, that's what I think.

Edison@JleviSW 10-07-2004 01:27 AM

I couldn't agree more with Commander FAT...I made the mistake of upgrading my suspension before I could handle the car stock. I really would get used to your car and figure out your driving style...then ONCE you have maxed your times out with your car you can start to invest in a few mods :thumbup:

Right now spend your mod money on tires, fuel, race entries, motels, and brake pads :thumbup:

TJe46M3 10-07-2004 04:09 PM

Thanks, I'm going to hold off on upgrades until I have more track time.

Commander FAT, what short shifter do you recommend?

flacoy2k 10-07-2004 04:24 PM

The most important thing is fresh brake fluid and high temperature brake pads. You already bought wheels and tires which is good but for the first event I would run the car complete stock. Because you already have the tires on the second event run with the competition tires. As your skills progresses you keep upgrading so that you will feel the progress on your car.

Keep Changing your brake fluid frequently. Change your engine oil at least half way before BMW give you the free oil change.

Ohh Don't forget to have fun. Don't worry if other people on 330Ci or "slower" cars are passing you.