E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Costs and tips of Autocrossing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=202964)

FRANCO 10-14-2004 10:21 PM

Costs and tips of Autocrossing

I was wondering how much it costs (and some things i need) to join the SCCA/BMWCCA, like from the time i join to the time i actually get to race.....I've been really itching to track the ZHP

mach330 10-14-2004 10:27 PM

just join the bmwcca (go to the website and sign up). it cost $45 or so a year (you also get a subscription to roundel magazine). for the autocross events, it's $40 for the whole day which includes lunch. hurry up and join, there's one at SD (Qualcomm Stadium) next weekend (10/23). :thumbup:

FRANCO 10-14-2004 10:32 PM

there's nothing i need to know, like is there anything i need to buy for my car? how long have you been autocrossing?

MrMotorwerk 10-14-2004 10:32 PM

BMWCCA

$40/DAY + LUNCH

Meet other like minded individuals with a passion for BMWs

You really don't need to spend anymore money than that, unless you are trying to win the TIRERACK SCCA PRO SOLO2 CHAMPIONSHIP.

Most people at the BMWCCA run stock cars with street tires, however you do also get some people who run in different classifications that have RACE tires/wheels.

mach330 10-14-2004 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRANCO
there's nothing i need to know, like is there anything i need to buy for my car? how long have you been autocrossing?

nopes...you can tape up your car (around the bumpers if you like) w/ carpenters tape. other than that...just bring sunscreen. i've only gone once and it was a blast. you learn a lot about your car. my goal is just to improve. i'm not trying to win or anything just get better. hope to see you there.

MrMotorwerk 10-14-2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRANCO

Get a really good tire gauge. (monitor your tire pressures, usually people run +5 psi however after your first run you will need to check the pressures again because heat = expansion)

Get a aircompressor or air tank. (to top off your tire pressures)

Get a tarp, so you can put all the loose stuff as well as the stuff in your trunk on it. You need to empty your car before you go out on the course.

A foldable canvas chair to sit on between the run groups!

mach330 10-14-2004 10:40 PM

good suggestion...my friend brought some folding chairs and that was a great idea.

notE46 10-14-2004 10:40 PM

You don't really need to buy anything to start autoxing.

The only thing you really need is a tire pressure gauge and you can easily borrow that.

For BMW CCA most chapters will let you run 1 autox before you become a member.

For most SCCA you can run without being a member but you pay a little more (btw they don't provide lunch). Some SCCA regions require you to be a member to run, like SF Region.

Both BMWCCA and SCCA events will have helmet to loan out (most of the time free but sometimes a small fee).

I've been autoxing on and off for about 5 years now and I do it for fun and for person gain/pleasure. It's great, you'd be amazed what someone with great driving skills can do with your stock car, then you try to duplicate it and realize that you really can't drive worth shieet :)

BMW CCA event (most of them) will have instructors available so I would recommend going with them first. There is an event for the LA chapter BMW CCA club this sunday. I'll be there with my M Coupe. You can also come by and just watch if you'd like. However, I will tell you that you will kick yourself as soon as you see cars on the course and people having fun :) This event will be held at the parking lot in Irwindale Speedway.

sarah connor 10-14-2004 10:47 PM

is there a autucross for noobs? like where theres an instructor and how much does that cost?

Tuscan 10-14-2004 10:48 PM

Helmet needed?

mach330 10-14-2004 10:49 PM

they should have instructors there. here in socal, the first 4 runs you have to ride with an instructor. the next 4 run, you can ride with or without one. the last 3 (timed runs) you can have the instructor with you or run alone.

mach330 10-14-2004 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuscan
Helmet needed?

yes..you have to have a helmet. they have helmets there where you can borrow (don't know if it cost $$ tho). i brought my motorcycle helmet.

MrMotorwerk 10-14-2004 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah connor
is there a autucross for noobs? like where theres an instructor and how much does that cost?

Depending on the BMWCCA chapter you belong to, the closest thing to Autocross for noobs, is a Car Control Clinic.

Golden Gate Chapter (San Francisco) frequently puts on Car Control Clinics separate from the Autocross events for $70/DAY + Lunch

Car Control Clinic:
basically Skidpad, Solom Course and Braking.

MrMotorwerk 10-14-2004 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuscan
Helmet needed?

Its best to own your own helmet. Especially if you become a Autocross/Track School Junkie.

Golden Gate Chapter loans out helmets but you should pre-register and tell them you need to borrow one in advance. Loaner helmets, cost nothing except that you exchange your Driver's License for the loaner helmet.

2004E46325i 10-15-2004 01:09 AM

don't forget to either take out your right headlight or tape them up so they don't break from the constant pressure of turning

FRANCO 10-15-2004 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach330
nopes...you can tape up your car (around the bumpers if you like) w/ carpenters tape. other than that...just bring sunscreen. i've only gone once and it was a blast. you learn a lot about your car. my goal is just to improve. i'm not trying to win or anything just get better. hope to see you there.

are you going to the irwindale speedway thing? i saw that on bmwcca's website.....i think i might go to that one if possible cause my finals week starts that week.....can i just go to the event and fill out some papers and run? or do i have to sign up online and register or something.......im really psyched about this now!!

mach330 10-15-2004 01:18 AM

i can't go to the irwindale one cuz i'm moving this weekend. i'm not too sure about the la chapter, but in the sd chapter, you have to show them your bmwcca card in order for you to be able to race. email the la chapter head guy or call them. i wanted to go to cuz it's closer than sd.

btw...did u get ur G-ride yet? how do u like it so far compare to the zhp?

FRANCO 10-15-2004 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mach330
i can't go to the irwindale one cuz i'm moving this weekend. i'm not too sure about the la chapter, but in the sd chapter, you have to show them your bmwcca card in order for you to be able to race. email the la chapter head guy or call them. i wanted to go to cuz it's closer than sd.

btw...did u get ur G-ride yet? how do u like it so far compare to the zhp?

naw, there was a little argument....something along the lines of a debate whether to wait for an M3 at the end of May.....but we're looking again this week.....yeah, the salesguy looked pissed when we said we're gonna go check out M3's....hahahahah

oh yeah, before people say, definately wait for the M3, there's also the financial aspect because i dont know if im gonna get a "real" job out of college and my part time job can't support the monthly payments of an M3, but i can pay for the monthly payments on a G35......so im thinking maybe i'll an e90 M3 after i get my CPA license and real job at a BIG 4 firm :thumbup:

mach330 10-15-2004 10:10 AM

that's cool..i would wait for the m3 as well if it was me. or just see how the new 05' g's look.

FRANCO 10-15-2004 12:29 PM

the '05 G's are gonna look the same except with a 15hp boost.....i could care less about a 15hp boost (that's why i got the ZHP right? hahahah) but that means the '04's will be sold for a lot less than MSRP