E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Perfect Clutch Stop in 30 seconds? Less then $5... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=206363)

minig0d 10-28-2004 07:54 PM

Perfect Clutch Stop in 30 seconds? Less then $5...

2 Attachment(s)
Ok so after reading all these threads about clutch stops I decided to give it a shot... I have an 01 325xi (sedan) so I don't know how many other applications this will work PERFECTLY for but it should work on all begining E46's til mid 01 in the sedans. (the coupe may be a little different but not much and the post-mid 01's I don't know how much play you have with the magnetic switch so you should experiment a little). I ran to Lowes right by work and played around for about an hour on my lunch break until I finaly found the perfect things. You need 2 parts, no glue, and less then 30 seconds install time. Part #1 is in the drawers with all the other bolts, its called an "Elevator Bolt" 3/8" x 1 1/2" it is blackish in color (price $0.97). Part #2 is a few isles over in the adhesive bumpers for furniture, its called "Grippers" 1 1/2" Self-Stick the part # is "7384" from SoftTouch (price $3.04). The grippers package has 8 little discs in it so you can make 8 clutch stops ;)

Assembly: Take elevator bolt out of package. Take 1 disc out of package. Remove sticker covering adhesive from disc. Center disc on elevator bolt and press on.

Installation: unscrew your factory clutch stop by hand (the black thing behind your clutch pedal on the floorboard). Screw in your newly assembled one all the way (just hand tight you don't need to wrench tighten it it isnt going anywhere)

You're done. No glues, no mess, etc. This setup is the perfect height, it doesn't require any adjustment of the clutch switch for the ignition (my car doesn't have cruise so can't test that obviously). The best part about this is it looks a lot more professional then most of the homemade ones i've seen pictures of on these boards. Enjoy.

Being less then $5 and less then 30 seconds of install time (and probably less then 2 minutes of shopping time now that I told you all the part numbers) you should have NO reason to not go do this right now... I was kinda skeptical but this has been the best mod for the money anywhere.

bimmerchop 10-28-2004 11:25 PM

not bad :thumbup:

Wagon Man 10-29-2004 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minig0d
Being less then $5 and less then 30 seconds of install time (and probably less then 2 minutes of shopping time now that I told you all the part numbers) you should have NO reason to not go do this right now... I was kinda skeptical but this has been the best mod for the money anywhere.

You're my hero :bow:

JoeK 10-29-2004 12:46 AM

That's a pretty simple and clean clutch stop. :thumbup:

By the way, what did you mean by the cruise thing?

badwayz 10-29-2004 08:04 AM

I think I'll make one today.

minig0d 10-29-2004 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeK
That's a pretty simple and clean clutch stop. :thumbup:

By the way, what did you mean by the cruise thing?

While reading some earlier posts on the clutch stops I saw a reminder of the cruise control aspect of the clutch stop. This doesn't affect me as I don't have cruise control, but I think I read that there is a seperate switch on the clutch for the cruise control system and that it didn't use the switch that the starting system does (but I could be wrong). The cruise control uses a sensor on the clutch that turns off the cruise control (or possibly disengages it temporarily?) when you depress the clutch to shift gears (for obvious reasons). If there is a second switch I wasn't able to tell if this exact position set would allow for both switches to be depressed with the clutch all the way against the stop (but I'm thinking it should be just fine.)

Let me know how these turn out for yall. And if someone with cruise control could check and make sure that this particular height allows the cruise to disengaged when the clutch is depressed that would be cool.

DiscoStu 10-29-2004 09:03 AM

I'm doing this today :thumbup: :thumbup: I have cruise control too, ill test it out and see what happens.

kaotik 11-01-2004 12:03 PM

Cruise Control

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscoStu
I'm doing this today :thumbup: :thumbup: I have cruise control too, ill test it out and see what happens.

Did you get a chance to try out the clutch stop? How did it do with the cruise control?

kaotik 11-04-2004 05:34 PM

Clutch Stop with Cruise Control

Quote:

While reading some earlier posts on the clutch stops I saw a reminder of the cruise control aspect of the clutch stop. This doesn't affect me as I don't have cruise control, but I think I read that there is a seperate switch on the clutch for the cruise control system and that it didn't use the switch that the starting system does (but I could be wrong). The cruise control uses a sensor on the clutch that turns off the cruise control (or possibly disengages it temporarily?) when you depress the clutch to shift gears (for obvious reasons). If there is a second switch I wasn't able to tell if this exact position set would allow for both switches to be depressed with the clutch all the way against the stop (but I'm thinking it should be just fine.)

Let me know how these turn out for yall. And if someone with cruise control could check and make sure that this particular height allows the cruise to disengaged when the clutch is depressed that would be cool.

Hey did anyone get back to you on the cruise control issue?

LakeShow 11-05-2004 05:16 PM

Man this mod aint no Bull$hit. It took me 5 mins to drive down to ACE Hardware and 1 min. to install. I'm loving it!!! Anybody thinking of doing this mod, just follow the instructions given and material needed and your car will start right up. No fiddling with the clutch stop or anything. THANKS ALOT FOR THE AWSOME DIY!!!!! :thumbup: :craig:

baldonenc 11-05-2004 05:51 PM

WOW! minig0d was right... It was an easy mod... I'm really mechanically declined and even I was able to find the parts in under 5 minutes and install in less than 1... By the way, I have cruise contol and with this mod, when you press in the clutch, cruise control will disengage... So far, no ill effects, just smoother shifting... Thanks again!!!

yogo_jonzo 11-05-2004 11:10 PM

I just did this myself and I think it feels much better. The only trouble I had was the bumper part was too thick...must have got the wrong ones..... Anyways all I did was remove the one I originally placed on there and since I had 7 more from the package I took a sharp knife and cut it in half to make it less thick. Then tested it and the car started so I glued it down.

:thumbup:

minig0d 11-06-2004 04:41 AM

When I was experimenting... I played with a few of ther thicker bumpers... the ones I listed above just happened to be the perfect height... if you need to drop the height down you can possible screw the clutch stop down a tiny bit with a wrench... I'm not exactly sure whats under the screw hole so I don't know what you'd be forcing the screw into but i dont think a quarter turn or so would hurt anything (the bottom side of the bolt, not the flat side, has a squared head so you can tighten it with an open ended wrench)...

If anyone needs just one bumper I still have the other 7 that came in my package and I can send you 1 or 2 of em... just paypal me $1.50 (including shipping) and I'll drop em in the mail to you. (But mail me first to make sure I still have some left).

Santiago 11-06-2004 07:40 AM

Quote:

Ok so after reading all these threads about clutch stops I decided to give it a shot... I have an 01 325xi (sedan) so I don't know how many other applications this will work PERFECTLY for but it should work on all begining E46's til mid 01 in the sedans. (the coupe may be a little different but not much and the post-mid 01's I don't know how much play you have with the magnetic switch so you should experiment a little). I ran to Lowes right by work and played around for about an hour on my lunch break until I finaly found the perfect things. You need 2 parts, no glue, and less then 30 seconds install time. Part #1 is in the drawers with all the other bolts, its called an "Elevator Bolt" 3/8" x 1 1/2" it is blackish in color (price $0.97). Part #2 is a few isles over in the adhesive bumpers for furniture, its called "Grippers" 1 1/2" Self-Stick the part # is "7384" from SoftTouch (price $3.04). The grippers package has 8 little discs in it so you can make 8 clutch stops ;)

Assembly: Take elevator bolt out of package. Take 1 disc out of package. Remove sticker covering adhesive from disc. Center disc on elevator bolt and press on.

Installation: unscrew your factory clutch stop by hand (the black thing behind your clutch pedal on the floorboard). Screw in your newly assembled one all the way (just hand tight you don't need to wrench tighten it it isnt going anywhere)

You're done. No glues, no mess, etc. This setup is the perfect height, it doesn't require any adjustment of the clutch switch for the ignition (my car doesn't have cruise so can't test that obviously). The best part about this is it looks a lot more professional then most of the homemade ones i've seen pictures of on these boards. Enjoy.

Very cool mod. I have a quesion though. The elevator bolt likely has an imperial thread and I would guess that clutch stop on our cars have a metric thread. Isn't there a danger of cross-threading?

bearing01 11-06-2004 11:56 AM

why do this???

What is the purpose of swapping out the factory installed clutch stop with this mod?

What does mod do?

Santiago 11-06-2004 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearing01
What is the purpose of swapping out the factory installed clutch stop with this mod?

What does mod do?

Here's how Rogue Engineering markets their Clutch Stop.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/rogu...lutch-stop.htm
"Limit clutch pedal travel for faster shifting

Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop The clutch pedals in manual transmission cars often have way to much travel past the clutch engagement point. This additional travel adds additional time to your shift, slowing your acceleration. Designed to stop clutch travel immediately past the engagement point for faster, more precise shifts.

Fits all E28, E30, E36, E39, E46, Z3, and Z8 cars with manual transmissions. (NOTE: some later E36 and all E46 BMWs require the clutch to be partially or fully depressed in order to start the vehicle. Because of the nature of the clutch stop, it does not allow the clutch to be depressed fully, to the floor, and may not activate the switch to allow the car to start.) "

wjjeeper 11-06-2004 03:47 PM

Hey guys I just did this clutch stop mod aswell. Shifts are great and the car starts just fine. I did want to mention that I couldn't find any self adhesive rubber stoppers that I liked. So I ended up taking the rubber stopper off of the stock one and it fit on my elevator bolt perfectly. If anyone wants to get a new stock rubber stopper its part # 02 38 5912 23

DiscoStu 11-08-2004 06:15 PM

OK WTF? I made this clutch stop today and when i went to start my car, it didn't start. I tried to tighten the clutch stop as much as i could, still wouldn't start. So i ripped off the rubber stopper and my car started. Clutch stop works well and all i just hear a loud metal clank everytime i change gears. So i thought to maybe cut the rubber stopper in half, still no luck. I like 1mm away from getting it to start with the rubber stopper on :banghead:

wjjeeper 11-08-2004 06:17 PM

Stu did u use the stock rubber stopper as I suggested?
If not try it. Other than that you might have to cut a thread or two off your bolt.

DiscoStu 11-08-2004 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjjeeper
Stu did u use the stock rubber stopper as I suggested?
If not try it. Other than that you might have to cut a thread or two off your bolt.

My stock clutch stop was this little cheap piece of plastic :dunno: