E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Business CD/Icelink trouble - Anyone? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=217440)

crazyro 12-14-2004 08:54 AM

Business CD/Icelink trouble - Anyone?

Last night I finally got icelink to work. It sounded great, loved the way it interacts w/ the controls on the steering wheel, etc. I was in the happy camp. This morning, I'm not so happy. I can't select CD changer on my radio. I don't have a MODE button, so I have to hit CD to select CD and then hit CD again to select the changer. Well, I plug in the iPod, it says "OK to disconnect." I don't want to disconnect! I just plugged in the stupid thing. And I can't select the changer/iPod. I can hit CD and hit it and hit it and nothing. What the crap is going on? So far I haven't been very happy w/ this whole thing. But I'm not giving up yet. Is this an icelink/iPod issue? Or is my Radio not cooperating? And why is it so sporadic?

Anyone? Please help me out! TIA.

crazyro 12-14-2004 09:24 AM

Ok, this is really stupid! I went outside to the car, and just out of curiosity, disconnected the battery. Left it alone for a couple of seconds, reconnected the battery, and lo and behold! I can select the changer/iPod. What the??? I mean, I don't want to do this every time I want to use the iPod!

a2theb 12-14-2004 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyro
Ok, this is really stupid! I went outside to the car, and just out of curiosity, disconnected the battery. Left it alone for a couple of seconds, reconnected the battery, and lo and behold! I can select the changer/iPod. What the??? I mean, I don't want to do this every time I want to use the iPod!

Hey crazyro - You can also pop the radio fuses instead of disconnecting the the whole car.... that's what I've been doing. :shhh: I think it has something to do with the radio not recognizing that there is a changer/iPod plugged in. :dunno:

crazyro 12-14-2004 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a2theb
Hey crazyro - You can also pop the radio fuses instead of disconnecting the the whole car.... that's what I've been doing. :shhh: I think it has something to do with the radio not recognizing that there is a changer/iPod plugged in. :dunno:

True. Didn't think about that. Still, it's kind of stupid and annyoing to pay over $200 for something that doesn't work quite right. Or am I just whining here? I'm excited and happy with it, but disappointed at the same time. I don't want to have to mess w/ the fuses every time I get in the car, just so that I can enjoy the iPod... :hmm:

a2theb 12-14-2004 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyro
True. Didn't think about that. Still, it's kind of stupid and annyoing to pay over $200 for something that doesn't work quite right. Or am I just whining here? I'm excited and happy with it, but disappointed at the same time. I don't want to have to mess w/ the fuses every time I get in the car, just so that I can enjoy the iPod... :hmm:

Ironically it just happened as I took my son to school this morning.... :thumbdwn: Just when I thought it was going good.... Off to pull fuses and send another email to Dension.

DensionUSA 12-14-2004 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a2theb
Ironically it just happened as I took my son to school this morning.... :thumbdwn: Just when I thought it was going good.... Off to pull fuses and send another email to Dension.

You can also give our technical support team a call @ 562.595.5153 x112 for immediate assistance.

bender 12-14-2004 11:01 PM

what the cause of this? human error? install error?

DensionUSA 12-15-2004 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bender
what the cause of this? human error? install error?

Until we can talk on the phone to go over some troubleshooting steps - there is no way to tell at the present moment.

mr roy 12-15-2004 12:03 PM

i also have the same problem my radio is a 2001 business cd made by blaupunkt. if i plug in the my mates radio 2004 business cd with mode button it works fine soon as i go back to my old radio i start getting the problem.i have had my mates radio in for just over 2 days with out any problems, but i will have to give it back at some point.
another thing i noticed was on my 2001 (blaupunkt) the line voltage had to be about 1v but on the 2004 (think its alpine) i can set it to what ever 4v down to .5v.
I am wondering if its a config problem as the new radios are i think alpine and the old ones were blauplunkt maybe tom can Clarify this ?

DensionUSA 12-15-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr roy
i also have the same problem my radio is a 2001 business cd made by blaupunkt. if i plug in the my mates radio 2004 business cd with mode button it works fine soon as i go back to my old radio i start getting the problem.i have had my mates radio in for just over 2 days with out any problems, but i will have to give it back at some point.
another thing i noticed was on my 2001 (blaupunkt) the line voltage had to be about 1v but on the 2004 (think its alpine) i can set it to what ever 4v down to .5v.
I am wondering if its a config problem as the new radios are i think alpine and the old ones were blauplunkt maybe tom can Clarify this ?

Hard to say - give our tech support team a call and we'll run down some steps with you. Number is in my previous post.

ex10psi 12-16-2004 04:55 PM

yup, add me to the list of people having issues with the icelink/ipod connector in their E46's...

I've been back and forth with the tech and he's suggested to do the following:

disconnect the 12 pin connector that goes from the wire that connects directly to the ipod to the long, black, skinny icelink unit. No need to pull fuses (becomes a pain in the ass when you do it everytime you get into your car), no need to disconnect batt. Also turn the radio off for a few sec let it reset itself then plug everything back in and it should work fine... at least for the moment before you have to do it again. :(

Dension has told me that they are working hard on a fix... basically it'll require us to download an updated firmware soon available on their site.

Also... when this problem occurs, my turn signals blink erratically. Too fast, too slow, skipping blinks, etc... very very strange. But once I pull the 12 pin connector and put it back, everything is fine again, turn signals, ipod, etc...

I've also got another issue with constant static, hissing, popping, noises when playing my ipod, also some sort of whine noise as if i've just installed a cheap car stereo system using crappy wires :(

I've contacted Dension tech support about this but no response yet... Tom if you're out there, could you ask Chase to get back to me on this issue? Please ask him to respond to my latest email from elsonchoo@hotmail.com. I've also listed a few other issues for him to look into: why my ipod continues to charge after the key is taken out, even though I have it set not to charge after key is off. Thanks for the help!

DensionUSA 12-16-2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex10psi
yup, add me to the list of people having issues with the icelink/ipod connector in their E46's...

disconnect the 12 pin connector that goes from the wire that connects directly to the ipod to the long, black, skinny icelink unit. No need to pull fuses (becomes a pain in the ass when you do it everytime you get into your car), no need to disconnect batt. Also turn the radio off for a few sec let it reset itself then plug everything back in and it should work fine... at least for the moment before you have to do it again. :(

Dension has told me that they are working hard on a fix... basically it'll require us to download an updated firmware soon available on their site.

Also... when this problem occurs, my turn signals blink erratically. Too fast, too slow, skipping blinks, etc... very very strange. But once I pull the 12 pin connector and put it back, everything is fine again, turn signals, ipod, etc...

I've also got another issue with constant static, hissing, popping, noises when playing my ipod, also some sort of whine noise as if i've just installed a cheap car stereo system using crappy wires :(

I've contacted Dension tech support about this but no response yet... Tom if you're out there, could you ask Chase to get back to me on this issue? Please ask him to respond to my latest email from elsonchoo@hotmail.com. I've also listed a few other issues for him to look into: why my ipod continues to charge after the key is taken out, even though I have it set not to charge after key is off. Thanks for the help!

Send me your full name and phone number via PM - I'll forward over to Chase personally.

ex10psi 12-16-2004 05:14 PM

PM sent!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DensionUSA
Send me your full name and phone number via PM - I'll forward over to Chase personally.

Thanks Tom! Hopefully we can resolve the hissing noises... the other problems could probably fixed with some firmware/software flash, but hissing noises sounds a bit more hardware related???

DensionUSA 12-16-2004 05:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks Tom! Hopefully we can resolve the hissing noises... the other problems could probably fixed with some firmware/software flash, but hissing noises sounds a bit more hardware related???

Not realy sure, I've not heard reports of hissing in the system. You will have to consult with Chase on that one.

PM me your info and I will send it over.

jchristena 12-16-2004 10:51 PM

Add me to the list. My Ice>Link Plus setup is hosed.

I am a little frustrated here. I bought 2 of these things at once. 1 for my 04 M3 and 1 for my wife's 01 330i. I spent an hour on hold trying to talk to tech support today without speaking to 1 live person. But "my call is important"....blah blah blah.

Here is what mine does...

After I pull the fuse and reset the system, everything works except for the background static/hissing noice. If I turn the car off and turn it back on immediately, and/or take out and reinsert the IPOD(you can do this stuff in any order as long as you don't wait more than a few minutes) everything still works. If you wait more than a few minutes, you're screwed.

The IPOD will play regardless, but only if its already playing when you insert it into the cradle. Pressing the "mode" button on the business head unit yields a "CD -", whether the IPOD is connected or not. You have zero control of anything except volume. You can't even change songs on the IPOD itself because it has been locked by the IceLink. No buttons on my radio work in IceLink mode.

Oh, and a little added bonus. Once in a while, when you put it in the cradle, you can navigate up and down your playlists with the steering wheel, but the up and down arrows work backwards! Up moves the selection down in the playlist and vice versa. Luckily, a quick pull of the old #7 and #41 fuses fixes it right up.

So, any suggestions on what I am supposed to do here? I can't get through to tech support. I can't get my stuff to work. And I have already paid for 2 of these. I don't mind being patient as I know there are bugs in any development cycle, but I would really like some good news here...

ChosenGSR 12-17-2004 08:09 AM

oh my, and I was just planning on getting one as soon as the ID tag flash is secured on the new units, now I am not sure :hmm:

SonTon2003 12-17-2004 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
oh my, and I was just planning on getting one as soon as the ID tag flash is secured on the new units, now I am not sure :hmm:

Ditto.

tingbro1 12-17-2004 12:46 PM

So it sounds like I'm not the only one with the static/hiss and alternative wine noise for the icelink plus Per Chase's request I've sent by the Icelink unit back to the factor (the slender black piece covered in shrink wrap) for testing. I'm hoping to get a replacement unit soon without the noise. Otherwise, everything works fine for me... so far.

jchristena 12-17-2004 03:17 PM

yea...

Quote:

I just developed the blinker problem on the way home from work today.

DensionUSA 12-17-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchristena
I just developed the blinker problem on the way home from work today.

I have submitted your bug reports to our engineers - they will be working throughout the weekend for a updated firmware for early next week.

Everyone, thanks for your patience through this matter - we are hard at work on a solution, and I will notify the board as soon as it is available.