E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Headunit is finally in! - custom centered dual din install (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=220557)

rcurley55 12-28-2004 06:58 PM

Headunit is finally in! - custom centered dual din install
 
Well, I finally got around to getting my DVA-7996 and PXA-H700 installed. Here are some pics for you....

Before:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...22_73_full.jpg

After:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...22_69_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...22_70_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...22_71_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...22_72_full.jpg

all in all, I'd say I'm very pleased - the texture and color of the trim piece matches very well with the factory plastic.

comments?

04E46 12-28-2004 07:01 PM

um. thats fricking sweet.

how did you do that? How much cutting did you have to do?

I hade a hard enought time with my single alpine and its mess of wires and that dc/dc converter.

rcurley55 12-28-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04E46
um. thats fricking sweet.

how did you do that? How much cutting did you have to do?

I hade a hard enought time with my single alpine and its mess of wires and that dc/dc converter.

I basically took the carrier for the factory head and climate control and hacked the crap out of it, then built custom brackets for the alpine pieces to center it in the hole vertically and horizontally. Past that, I didn't alter the car at all. The mounting bracket for the H700 required some modification to clear the heater ducts, but past that it was easy.

And it was tough to get all the wires in there. The trick is to pull the vents above the head so that you can get access to the wires.

pimpn04coupe 12-28-2004 07:18 PM

thats a freakin sweet install, wish i could do the same, that 7996 has a built in dvd player right? do you have screens that this head unit feeds? if so, pics!!!

learthworml 12-28-2004 07:23 PM

Looks great. Good job.

rcurley55 12-28-2004 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpn04coupe
thats a freakin sweet install, wish i could do the same, that 7996 has a built in dvd player right? do you have screens that this head unit feeds? if so, pics!!!

Yes, the 7996 plays DVDs, but I won't be using it for any video at this time. The only reason I purchased the 7996 is b/c it has an optical out and it's a cosmetic match for the H700 - all i really use it for is a tuner and a cd transport.

bigjae1976 12-28-2004 09:54 PM

That's just okay :lmao:

Seriously, looks pretty damned good. Impressed :bow:

low 12-28-2004 09:57 PM

dude that looks hot! i want one!!:D


(yes i said the same thing on eca:P)

rcurley55 12-28-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low
dude that looks hot! i want one!!:D


(yes i said the same thing on eca:P)

well, I'm not planning on building another one ANYTIME SOON!~! What a pita, but totally worth it! I think it looks mighty :str8pimpi

RPM1 12-28-2004 10:08 PM

:thumbup:

leopoldo_p76 12-29-2004 10:19 AM

Would it be possible to know how you made the trim, cause i've got a kewood double din and my trim doesn't look anything colse to that!! If you could be fairly detailed I would really appreciate it. Thanx!!

rcurley55 12-29-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leopoldo_p76
Would it be possible to know how you made the trim, cause i've got a kewood double din and my trim doesn't look anything colse to that!! If you could be fairly detailed I would really appreciate it. Thanx!!

I don't have the time to do an entire walkthrough right now, but you can get an idea of the process over here:

http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/656122/2

There are some in progress pics. I'll be out of town for a few days, but would be happy to answer any questions you may have. This is just one way to build the part, I'm sure there are others that work as well.

Technic 12-29-2004 11:42 AM

Finally, an outstanding aftermarket HU install... it was about time, dammit!

Congratulations! :thumbup:

leopoldo_p76 12-30-2004 04:05 AM

thanks for the link. I will for sure be asking for some additional info (sorry to be such a bother). Hear from you soon!!

kwang125 12-31-2004 01:33 AM

that is an awsome installation.!!! :bow:
if you can make a cover to hide the headunits would be even better !!!

BMW DZYN 12-31-2004 05:09 PM

l..
 
Ok,

I hate to knock, BUT,

THat is a travesty to your interior. I mean the install seems like it might have been hard , so kudos on that, and hell you even got them to fit nice and snug....

but come on, those things look horrible in the otherwise gorgeous super clean black interior.

Agian I appologize for the negativity...but damn

ANd whats wrong with you guys incuraging him? Maybe he can still return it and get his money back?

I know the first thing everyone thoght when they saw that installed was, "Man what an eye soar..."

Hes a big boy and ask for honest opinions...

Anyway, bro, if you can get your money back, go with a tough screen....

TOURING 12-31-2004 05:27 PM

i dont know what he's talking about
 
it looks phat :thumbup: .why are there so many hater's on this board :dunno:

SrCsTc 12-31-2004 06:51 PM

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything. I think he did a nice job and it looks good.


Rich


Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW DZYN
Ok,

I hate to knock, BUT,

THat is a travesty to your interior. I mean the install seems like it might have been hard , so kudos on that, and hell you even got them to fit nice and snug....

but come on, those things look horrible in the otherwise gorgeous super clean black interior.

Agian I appologize for the negativity...but damn

ANd whats wrong with you guys incuraging him? Maybe he can still return it and get his money back?

I know the first thing everyone thoght when they saw that installed was, "Man what an eye soar..."

Hes a big boy and ask for honest opinions...

Anyway, bro, if you can get your money back, go with a tough screen....


bigjae1976 12-31-2004 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SrCsTc
If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything. I think he did a nice job and it looks good.


Rich

Agreed...excellent job. If you ask for comments, you'll get positive and negative. I appreciate the person's honesty. If he feels everything doesn't look right, then that is his opinion.

I think BMW DZYN went wrong when he started criticzing the people who think it looks nice. Again, it is a person's opinion, nothing to do with facts or right/wrong.

rcurley55 01-02-2005 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW DZYN
Ok,

I hate to knock, BUT,

THat is a travesty to your interior. I mean the install seems like it might have been hard , so kudos on that, and hell you even got them to fit nice and snug....

but come on, those things look horrible in the otherwise gorgeous super clean black interior.

Agian I appologize for the negativity...but damn

ANd whats wrong with you guys incuraging him? Maybe he can still return it and get his money back?

I know the first thing everyone thoght when they saw that installed was, "Man what an eye soar..."

Hes a big boy and ask for honest opinions...

Anyway, bro, if you can get your money back, go with a tough screen....

Sorry, but I've been out of town for a few days on vacation.

Everyone has their own opinion, but the reason I got this setup was for SQ, nothing else....this, in my opinion was the best way to install this combo in this car. I love it and 90%+ of the comments have been positive. Kinda hard to get my money back when I did all the work myself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use