E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Feeler: Who wants a custom touch screen trim in their car, that RETAINS OEM CD PLAYER (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=226766)

Jlevi SW 01-21-2005 12:29 AM

Feeler: Who wants a custom touch screen trim in their car, that RETAINS OEM CD PLAYER

Hey there guys.
LAFENGAS, local genious, has asked if I would be interested in retailing a product he makes.
Here is a picture:
http://www.lafengas.com/gallery/befo...er/project.JPG

As you see, it retains all the OEM components, and just replaces the empty compartment and the ashtray, which you shouldn't be using anyways :nono: :rofl:

This would require no modification to the car, and you'd be able to customize it upon reciept. There would be some minimal labor involved, but for the most part, it would just clip in.

I believe we could get them in CF weave as well as OEM plastic color/texture.

I'm looking to meet the $180 and UNDER price point

Please give honest opinions, as I'm sure Josh doesn't want to being making these only to discover that they are not demanded.

Thanks all!
JL

Gir 01-21-2005 01:08 AM

This is for just the trim? We'd have to find our own touchscreen units? There's nothing you can set up where you get touchscreen units in bulk for a lower price?

Deepeyes 01-21-2005 01:14 AM

I like it :thumbup: looks nice and clean

Jlevi SW 01-21-2005 01:22 AM

Please vote guys!
I'll see if Josh wants to try and sell a completed system - I have a funny feeling I'd be able to work something out.

JL

Leistung 01-21-2005 01:49 AM

I applaud that you are trying to offer this trim piece because I have seen touch screens installed similarly to this and they are very cool. A clean installation is hard to do with something like this, but $180 seems expensive for a piece of trim. I don't know if anyone else offers it, and recognize the molding etc. is expensive. I just think you might have a hard time selling it without some type of screen included.

-Tyler

unionjack 01-21-2005 02:19 AM

Somebody's been reading Bavarian Autosport.

Dalton 01-21-2005 03:18 AM

I would probably do it. I mean, isnt that one that some guy makes that fits up where the CD player even more expensive than that? Anyway, im all for cleanly installed stuff. I like flip out monitors but wouldnt put one in my car for fear of issues down the road like burnt motors, etc. I'm weird like that so something like this would be perfect. gotta pay to play i suppose. I think its a bit expensive for some trim, albeit i would rather it be around $100 max but you gotta pay to play i suppose. How much is a typical screen that goes in there?

Masko 01-21-2005 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leistung
I just think you might have a hard time selling it without some type of screen included.

-Tyler

I agree. Is there a possibility these trim peices could come in a variety of sizes so as to accomadate different screen sizes i.e 5.6", 6", 6.5", 7". Otherwise it looks like a very well done and clean job but I hate to sound like the typical american consumer and request this be given at a lower price. $180 :yikes:

Beemah_Mon 01-21-2005 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gir
This is for just the trim? We'd have to find our own touchscreen units? There's nothing you can set up where you get touchscreen units in bulk for a lower price?

Nice quality touchscreens for overpriced dash trim.

http://www.plasma.com/xenarc/700ts.htm

WarSong 01-21-2005 06:27 AM

$180 for plastic trim? :yikes:

acitydweller 01-21-2005 06:30 AM

FYI youre also removing the ashtray and Cigarette lighter which many of us use to power our gadgets.

PCGuRu2K 01-21-2005 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acitydweller
FYI youre also removing the ashtray and Cigarette lighter which many of us use to power our gadgets.

Get a ac adapter for the glove box :dunno:

I've been looking to put a trim like that in my car for a while now. I'd be definitely interested in a CF one for that price.

gtc6244 01-21-2005 07:23 AM

Hmmm ... while I do know where I can have this done cheaper (and I've done it myself in previous vehicles), it's actually not too bad a price ... I'd prefer to see the actual LCD enclosure molded to the rest of the frame so that it looks more OEM. I've done this before, though, and the fabrication and sanding took close to 40 hours - perhaps not so worthwhile! This also generally involves agreeing on the enclosure beforehand or mailing the front of your enclosure off ...

Jon - if I were the local genius in questions, I'd be tempted to offer a few "standard" sizes for common monitors - ie, the Xenarc 7" and Lilliput 7" & 8" monitors were pretty popular last year with enthusiasts over at MP3car.com - for those that don't know, these guys are all DIYers that put regular computers in cars ....

Good luck!

--GTC

John330i 01-21-2005 07:44 AM

that sig lighter is where i plug in my cop detector!

yguns27 01-21-2005 08:14 AM

I like it but maybe for <$180...

However, the trim doesn't seem to match the interior plastic used for the a/c and stereo.
I assume the monitor also allows us to hook it up to a nav/dvd system?

JCsE46 01-21-2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gir

:werd: I think 180 for just the trim is way too expensive, it needs to be lowered. But setting up the with the touchscreen units included as well as stated above for a lower price, I'll be interested. How much does a touchscreen costs in the market today?

Edison@JleviSW 01-21-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John330i
that sig lighter is where i plug in my cop detector!

Then hardwire your detector so that it looks MUCH more clean and you dont have a wire dangling down...

yayopwr 01-21-2005 11:37 AM

is there anyway i can replace my 1st gen nav with one of these touch screens to function as a nav, radio cd and all other basic ****?? I think it looks a lot nicer than the tiny oem screen and the bigger oem screen is dough.....

S2Krazy 01-21-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarSong
$180 for plastic trim? :yikes:

:werd:... that does seem a bit high

brandonx46 01-21-2005 11:59 AM

i might be interested if it included a screen