E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Instrument cluster swap?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=2781)

roundel3er 04-26-2002 11:24 AM

Instrument cluster swap??

This is a tough one....

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap the instrument cluster out of a 2000 328 for a 2001 330 instrument cluster instead?

... I wonder if the connectors are even the same?

Thanks in advance.

thomo 04-27-2002 06:15 AM

Clocks change

I gather you want the chrome rings on the 330 dash ? I swapped my dash from a 320 to a 330, the connectors are the same throughout the entire range except the M3. The only 2 problems are that if you fit a coupe dash to a saloon, there are no LED's to light up the back doors when you open them on the big car symbol and secondly unless you get the dash reprogrammed to your car, you will always have an orange 'dot' next to the mileage to show its not genuine. Hope this helps

trkmedic69 04-27-2002 08:14 AM

Re: Clocks change

Quote:

Originally posted by thomo
I gather you want the chrome rings on the 330 dash ? I swapped my dash from a 320 to a 330, the connectors are the same throughout the entire range except the M3. The only 2 problems are that if you fit a coupe dash to a saloon, there are no LED's to light up the back doors when you open them on the big car symbol and secondly unless you get the dash reprogrammed to your car, you will always have an orange 'dot' next to the mileage to show its not genuine. Hope this helps
But, to your knowledge, if you get a 330 sedan to replace a 323/328 sedan cluster those problems would not exist?

StreetTrixE4six 04-27-2002 08:47 AM

Where did you get the instrument cluster or where to get one? My cousin was thinking about that for his 325Ci.

Bryan

jAb 04-27-2002 09:09 AM

why swap the whole thing
just take out the part with the rings and swap that piece on to your cluster :rolleyes: :D

trkmedic69 04-27-2002 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jAb
why swap the whole thing
just take out the part with the rings and swap that piece on to your cluster :rolleyes: :D

well don't you have to buy the entire cluster? I was under the impression you can't just buy the rings......... So at that point, why not just replace the whole cluster instead of going through the extra effort?

jAb 04-27-2002 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by trkmedic69

well don't you have to buy the entire cluster? I was under the impression you can't just buy the rings......... So at that point, why not just replace the whole cluster instead of going through the extra effort?

either way your going to have to buy a whole new cluster but if you swap the whole thing then you will have to pay the dealer to reprogram your mileage so there's another $90 out the window

trkmedic69 04-27-2002 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jAb

either way your going to have to buy a whole new cluster but if you swap the whole thing then you will have to pay the dealer to reprogram your mileage so there's another $90 out the window

ok i missed the part about reprogramming! :yikes: I didn't know that was actually stored in the cluster itself.

jAb 04-27-2002 10:05 AM

i think it is stored in 2 different places and if they dont match that is what causes the warning indicator to illuminate (suggesting tampering)

dealers will typically charge a minimum of 1 hour labor for just about anything
so my reasoning is thats its much easier to just use the parts needed and avoid the hassle

AWay 04-27-2002 10:06 AM

Nick, lets go looking for a wrecked 330...

Then you won't have to pay tons of $ for just the rings. I'm sure we could track one down, although I don't know of any junk yards off the top of my head in the area.

thomo 04-28-2002 04:31 AM

Rings !!!

My new dash cost 90 ($135) from a breakers yard. You can then just unscrew the front panel with the rings on and swap it on your clocks. However, I think the black dials look strange with the rings as the sport dash has grey clocks.

The light or dot is not to show tampering and will not illuinate if the mileage differs between the clocks and the CPU. It illuminates to show the clocks are not PROGRAMMED to your vehicle (ie wheel size etc) . I had mine repragrammed by a 'mileage correction firm' who charged me 40 ($60).

If you cant be bothered with the reprogramming, simply find a crashed 330 (coupe or saloon), take the face off, remove the needles, swap the faces and replace the chrome rings onto your original clocks - easy !!

dronell19 04-28-2002 05:40 AM

hey guys...

no one has really answered the question yet... can the 330 instrument cluster, or 320/325 one for that matter, be USED on a 323/328? I asked this question to my dealer a few months ago and the answer they gave me was a no.. due to some differences in the engine (2nd gen E46 have revised engines)...

HOWEVER, I am not sure whether they're correct on this, so I'm still finding the answer :smile:
anyone know for sure?

Thomo, the reason your car has no problem with the 330 cluster is, I assume, because your car is a 2nd gen E46....

thomo 04-29-2002 11:08 AM

Try This

1. Find the replacement dash at a breakers.
2. Drive down ther and plug in the dash (swap takes 5 mins)
3. Drive around block, if it works well he if not try again !!!

Thats what I did.

The dash from the 330 is from a coupe 2000

My car is a 320 2001 model.