E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Polls & Surveys - Please Participate! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How protective are you of your car in parking lots? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=283010)

kpeng 08-08-2005 04:50 PM

How protective are you of your car in parking lots?

How protective are you of your car in parking lots? I know I'm a nutcase when it comes to keeping the car out of harm's way. My ex, family, friends, all think I'm nuts. Just wondering if any of you guys do the same thing.

-When I park in a lot with shopping carts everywhere (Walmart Supercenter is the worst), I move every single cart near my car out of the way.

-When I park in a lot, I always aim for an end spot and edge to the curb as much as possible.

-In my driveway, I park as close to the garage door as possible, so when people walk by, they don't scratch the car.

-After eating at a restaurant with my friends, I make them wash their hands before entering the car.

-I try to avoid parking lots where there are no stoppers in the spaces. I've seen these huge trucks that park way past the line and hit the car in front of them. It's retarded.

-When I go into a restaurant or something, I always try to get a seat near the window, so I can keep an eye out on the car.

-If I'm sitting in the car, and the people next to me open their door, I give 'em the stare so they'll be cautious about it.

Anymore you guys would care to add to the list?

-Ken :craig:

imolazhp_ci 08-08-2005 04:51 PM

hahahaha EXACTLY me.... minus the washing the hands... you might wanna get that checked out dude.

kpeng 08-08-2005 04:53 PM

lol, I don't want their wingsauce covered hands all over my door handles.

-Ken

tomalexm 08-08-2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeng
How protective are you of your car in parking lots? I know I'm a nutcase when it comes to keeping the car out of harm's way. My ex, family, friends, all think I'm nuts. Just wondering if any of you guys do the same thing.

-When I park in a lot with shopping carts everywhere (Walmart Supercenter is the worst), I move every single cart near my car out of the way.

-When I park in a lot, I always aim for an end spot and edge to the curb as much as possible.

-In my driveway, I park as close to the garage door as possible, so when people walk by, they don't scratch the car.

-After eating at a restaurant with my friends, I make them wash their hands before entering the car.

-I try to avoid parking lots where there are no stoppers in the spaces. I've seen these huge trucks that park way past the line and hit the car in front of them. It's retarded.

-When I go into a restaurant or something, I always try to get a seat near the window, so I can keep an eye out on the car.

-If I'm sitting in the car, and the people next to me open their door, I give 'em the stare so they'll be cautious about it.

haha sounds like me, but i wont make them wash hands unless they are like shiney greasy. i do The Stare, and always unlock early so that the lights flash to warn ppl to use caution opening their doors. i also reverse-park in lots because i find that ppl notice that, and are more cautious of a specially parked car. or maybe i am goin loco.

afshawnt 08-08-2005 04:56 PM

Washing your hands is cool. And only cool people can ride in my car :P

kpeng 08-08-2005 04:59 PM

afshawnt knows what I'm talking about, haha. :thumbsup:

-Ken

cncmastr 08-08-2005 05:10 PM

I do the same plus:

I try to find spots that have a concrete barrier next to it, so one side is protected. And park as close as possible.

I park usually about 1.5 miles away from any mall to avoid having to park next to other cars, which usually works out because by the time you try to find a closer spot, you could have walked from your far away spot to the mall.

EUROGUN 08-08-2005 05:13 PM

Parking

Dude!! you are exactly like me. That is why I have 3 other cars to drive. Less hassle and more important, peace of mind. I only drive my bimmer when I know where I am parking, special occasions, cruising (no stopping) or family/friends house. In other words, not at all. I learned my lesson after I repaired 3 door dingies. Ouch!!

THATS FRESH 08-08-2005 05:26 PM

im 10 times worse... i dont remember the last someone parked next to me.

i dont mind walking a couple hundred yards from my car which is parked by the only tree in the lot with my sunshade up.

to the movies or a crowded lot.. my car sits in the garage=)

russ330 08-08-2005 05:41 PM

I'm the same. Another technique that I use is:

- When parking in a parking lot, I always park with the drivers side closer to the lines than the passengers side.

Why?

More often than not it's just one person in the car, the driver. Well their drivers side is the passenger side of my car. Therefore I'm leaving them with more room to open their door and lessens the chance of them hitting my car. :craig:

DarXide 08-08-2005 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cncmastr
I do the same plus:

I try to find spots that have a concrete barrier next to it, so one side is protected. And park as close as possible.

I park usually about 1.5 miles away from any mall to avoid having to park next to other cars, which usually works out because by the time you try to find a closer spot, you could have walked from your far away spot to the mall.

1.5 miles away form the mall????? :yikes:
Damn..

325xiVan 08-08-2005 05:56 PM

Oh boy, it's my first post! :hi:

I don't park anywhere near a tree or beneath power lines. Trees release pollen, sap, needles (acidic) and other crud that can dry on the paint. Pigeons also tend to pick trees with cars parked beneath them to take $hit.

I learned this lesson when I started a new job a while back. On my first day, I got a primo parking spot, close to the front-door. I couldn't understand why this spot was free until I came back at the end of the day with bird crap and pollen all over my car. :thumbdwn:

Cheers.

shad 08-08-2005 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeng

ROFL!! :lmao: eaxctly how i act with my car to the tee!

Activ3 08-08-2005 06:00 PM

I almost died worrying about my friends ///M in the school parking lot today, and it's not even my car!

qooldude 08-08-2005 06:11 PM

Absolutely NO drinks or food inside the car. Sucks when I want some drive-thru.

Also, dust off excess dirt on shoes before climbing in. :thumbsup:

kpeng 08-08-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qooldude

nice to see I'm not so anal after all, haha.

-Ken

russ330 08-08-2005 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qooldude

Oh, that reminds me. I've got two trash bags in the trunk of the car. I keep them there so that when my boots are muddy from work I can put my feet in them preventing me from tracking any dirt inside the car or get any mud on the pedals.

OtisBMW 08-08-2005 06:32 PM

After having all my door dings fixed, I haven't parked my car anywhere besides my garage haha.

Dr_John 08-08-2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

I'm the same. Another technique that I use is:

- When parking in a parking lot, I always park with the drivers side closer to the lines than the passengers side.

Why?

More often than not it's just one person in the car, the driver. Well their drivers side is the passenger side of my car. Therefore I'm leaving them with more room to open their door and lessens the chance of them hitting my car.
On the other hand, when there is a passenger, it's probably a kid who can't handle swinging open the door of a big ass coupe. I've actually seen this hapen more than from another driver. :)

russ330 08-08-2005 06:40 PM

^:hmm: My experiences have been the exact opposite. :dunno: At any rate I still have more damage on the passenger side door than my drivers side door; one ever so slight dimple on the passenger side door (I can't really see it, just feel it... I know it's there though. :( ) along with some paint rubbing from other cars vs. nothing of note on the drivers side.