E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   DDE problem (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=284530)

driftinsequence 08-13-2005 10:49 PM

DDE problem

i have the jlevi predator chromiums for my 330i. i installed them with a switch and stuff, fun fun. it all works great, however, i noticed today, that one of the halos were a tad tad dimmer. Not by much but sorta noticable when you look at it. When i opened the hood, my dad, whom was standing away and looking at the light said that the light jumped back brighter and back to normal.

could this have been a bad connection? I have all my wires wrapped in electrical tape to basically water proof it. I really don't want to take it off but if i have to i will. The single halo is still currently a tad tad dimmer, not too too noticable but you can still see it. Has this happened to anybody? or what else could be the case?

kpeng 08-13-2005 11:03 PM

It could be a few things. I'd start off by making sure your ground and your positive connections are on properly.

-Ken

BimmerJustin 08-13-2005 11:10 PM

It's not a ground problem if only one halo is dimmed. It's from the box forward. A halo will either work or not work. There is no in between. It could be the output from one side of the circuitry in the box. OR.....I could be 99% correct in telling you that the pins in the connector to the halo are touching. Arching to each other and providing less voltage to the halo. I had the same problem a couple of times and just had to re-seat the pins and connector. You should fix it A.S.A.P. before something happens. :thumbup: Anything arching (even something small) in the engine bay is not a good thing. :thumbdwn:

driftinsequence 08-14-2005 12:41 AM

i do not think any wires are touching because i individually wrapped each set with electrical tape to prevent such a thing from happening. i will double check in the light though. this is kinda scaring me b/c i hate problems.

NorthJersey 3er 08-14-2005 12:52 AM

its just a loose connection man. just unwrap the wires and put male and female connectors. or in worst case - just rewrap the individual wires tighter.

driftinsequence 08-14-2005 01:01 AM

you think so, i will do that tomorrow when there is light. i hope that is the problem. but why would a bad connection show a very faint but noticable dim light? i mean, if the connection was bad, it would be much dimmer, or flash on and off, or not even turn on! maybe this is just a quick sign of a bad connection. i will try to fix this tomorrow and post to see if it was the problem. thanks for your guys help.

ps> my dad thinks that the bulbs need time to warm up so that they would fully match. i did not think so since they were all cold from the start and they were all turned on evenly at the same time. though i did not leave it on for long, i do not think this was the problem.

BimmerJustin 08-14-2005 01:30 AM

The HID rings do need a couple seconds to warm up. 1 of 4 rings will be dim for the first minute but after that you have a problem. My connectors are heatshrunk down to hold them and the ends are RTV'd to prevent water intrusion. BUT I STILL HAD A PROBLEM. The connectors are not that great of quality. Hope that helps.

Evil330 08-14-2005 04:53 AM

my halo dimmed and then went off completely :(

NorthJersey 3er 08-14-2005 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftinsequence
you think so, i will do that tomorrow when there is light. i hope that is the problem. but why would a bad connection show a very faint but noticable dim light? i mean, if the connection was bad, it would be much dimmer, or flash on and off, or not even turn on! maybe this is just a quick sign of a bad connection. i will try to fix this tomorrow and post to see if it was the problem. thanks for your guys help.

ps> my dad thinks that the bulbs need time to warm up so that they would fully match. i did not think so since they were all cold from the start and they were all turned on evenly at the same time. though i did not leave it on for long, i do not think this was the problem.

that could be, but if 1 out of the 4 is dim after awhile, not just at start up, it has everything to do with the wiring coming from the ballast, trust me i've seen it before

driftinsequence 08-14-2005 10:35 AM

thanks, ill tell you guys what is the outcome tomorrow afternoon

Bowser330 09-10-2006 11:41 PM

dude i know this was from awhile back but both of my halos ont he passenger side are dim and im thinking it could be the wiriing and pins, did you ever get it figured out?

Edison@JleviSW 09-11-2006 12:20 AM

As I mentioned before, swap your ballasts. You have to find the ROOT of the problem which I am betting is either a ballast or connections issue. Since the ballast is easy to diagnose, start there.