E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Right tire sixe for staggered setup? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291543)

sna77 09-08-2005 06:56 AM

Right tire sixe for staggered setup?
 
Going to put staggered 18 ZHP wheels onto my 2001 325i sedan:

Unsure of the correct tire size to go with all around...

Wheels:
front 18 x 8
rear 18 x 8.5


this is what tire rack has:

Front Optional 18" 225/40-18
Rear Optional 18" 245/35-18


The 225 / 245 part makes sense to me, but wouldn't the sidewall always be 40???

BMW330d 09-08-2005 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77
Going to put staggered 18 ZHP wheels onto my 2001 325i sedan:

Unsure of the correct tire size to go with all around...

Wheels:
front 18 x 8
rear 18 x 8.5


this is what tire rack has:

Front Optional 18" 225/40-18
Rear Optional 18" 245/35-18


The 225 / 245 part makes sense to me, but wouldn't the sidewall always be 40???


Standard fit from BMW is 225/35/18 on the rear I belive the reason that a 35 profile is fitted to keep the rolling radius the same as the front, because it is wider tire it needs a smaller aspect ratio

Someone please correct me if I am wrong

sna77 09-08-2005 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW330d
Standard fit from BMW is 225/35/18 on the rear I belive the reason that a 35 profile is fitted to keep the rolling radius the same as the front, because it is wider tire it needs a smaller aspect ratio

Someone please correct me if I am wrong


So the sidewall is actually smaller on the rear tire?

BMW330d 09-08-2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77
So the sidewall is actually smaller on the rear tire?


Firstly I misposted above the rear tire should be 255/35/18.

225/40 = 225mm x 40% =90mm
255/35 = 255mm x 35% = 89.25mm

Therefore the difference in sidewall heights is 0.75mm! Despite the fact that the tire is 30mm wider

Hope this helps

sna77 09-09-2005 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW330d
Firstly I misposted above the rear tire should be 255/35/18.

225/40 = 225mm x 40% =90mm
255/35 = 255mm x 35% = 89.25mm

Therefore the difference in sidewall heights is 0.75mm! Despite the fact that the tire is 30mm wider

Hope this helps


Thats great, thanks. And that config wont run on a stock 325i?

whiteNgold 09-09-2005 10:50 AM

I'm pretty sure it'll fit on your 325i. The offset on those wheels (if you get the real ZHP ones) should clear your wells ok because they came from a similar body. You could put bigger tires on if you wanted, but you might have to roll your fenders. I have 18x8 (+40) in the front and 18x9 (+47) in the back, lowered with the H&R cupkit. Tires are 235/40 front and 265/40 in the back. Yes, I'm raked really hard and the back tire is a little tucked. I rolled my rear fender just a little to make sure I won't rub, but I never rubbed before I rolled them anyway. Hope this helps.

sna77 09-09-2005 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteNgold
I'm pretty sure it'll fit on your 325i. The offset on those wheels (if you get the real ZHP ones) should clear your wells ok because they came from a similar body. You could put bigger tires on if you wanted, but you might have to roll your fenders. I have 18x8 (+40) in the front and 18x9 (+47) in the back, lowered with the H&R cupkit. Tires are 235/40 front and 265/40 in the back. Yes, I'm raked really hard and the back tire is a little tucked. I rolled my rear fender just a little to make sure I won't rub, but I never rubbed before I rolled them anyway. Hope this helps.


I'm just going to go with the stock setup, so there should be no need to adjust the fenders, right?

225/40/18 front
255/35/18 rear

Tutankhamon 09-09-2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77
I'm just going to go with the stock setup, so there should be no need to adjust the fenders, right?

225/40/18 front
255/35/18 rear

that's the exact setup I'm using right now and it works beautifully. It's a close fit but a perfect one none the less, no rubbing or any issues on stock sport suspension.

sna77 09-09-2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tutankhamon
that's the exact setup I'm using right now and it works beautifully. It's a close fit but a perfect one none the less, no rubbing or any issues on stock sport suspension.


If it fits the stock sport suspension, i should be OK with non-sport suspension, since its actually higher, right?

whiteNgold 09-09-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77
If it fits the stock sport suspension, i should be OK with non-sport suspension, since its actually higher, right?

That'll be fine. If they were my wheels, I would but 235's in the front. It'll give your front tires some meat and help protect your rims if you do curb them a little.

thebighash 09-10-2005 02:48 AM

OEM BMW setup:
225/40/18 front
255/35/18 rear

Tire Rack setup also makes sense & i'm using it now
225/40/18 front
245/35/18 rear

No rubbing or other issues in both cases.. but i suggest get sports suspension or lowering kit (Eibach, H&R, UUC..) when installing 18s :str8pimpi

sna77 09-17-2005 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebighash
OEM BMW setup:
225/40/18 front
255/35/18 rear

Tire Rack setup also makes sense & i'm using it now
225/40/18 front
245/35/18 rear

No rubbing or other issues in both cases.. but i suggest get sports suspension or lowering kit (Eibach, H&R, UUC..) when installing 18s :str8pimpi


What will a sports suspension run me?

sna77 09-17-2005 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebighash
OEM BMW setup:
225/40/18 front
255/35/18 rear

Tire Rack setup also makes sense & i'm using it now
225/40/18 front
245/35/18 rear

No rubbing or other issues in both cases.. but i suggest get sports suspension or lowering kit (Eibach, H&R, UUC..) when installing 18s :str8pimpi


Whats the advantage of the 255 or 245s in the rear ? Why did you go with the 245?

thebighash 09-17-2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77
Whats the advantage of the 255 or 245s in the rear ? Why did you go with the 245?

245 would be better if you have more aggressive rim offsets and you worry about rubbing.. and in case you got 8" rear rims were 245 fits better.
but in your case (with OEMs) it doesn't matter :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sna77
What will a sports suspension run me?

i'm sure other fanatics who upgrade to cup kits, coils.. are willing to sell their stock sports suspension ;) check'em up


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use