E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Daytime Running Lights (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291720)

sakram 09-08-2005 08:39 PM

Daytime Running Lights

Does anyone know if low voltage/watt white lights are available for the daytime running lights.

I dont like the yellowish hue lights that are OEM on the car. Actually saw a coupe today with white daytime running lights that looked sweet.

0hMyGod 09-08-2005 11:24 PM

No halogen bulbs are white enough to match the Xenon.

JCsE46 09-09-2005 12:20 AM

He's talking his daylight running lights on how he can increased his bulb light output from yellow to white and not to match his xenon lights.

Nuori 09-09-2005 01:59 AM

Can't you just replace the H7 bulbs with like SPP super whites? That's about the whitest look you're going to get.

sakram 09-09-2005 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad323i
Can't you just replace the H7 bulbs with like SPP super whites? That's about the whitest look you're going to get.

I was doing a search on the forum and someone made a good point...this bulb is also used for the High Beam (flashing). So whatever bulb is used has to support enought high voltage for the high beams, as well as run on lower voltage while being used as DRL's.

I am not looking to match the xenon's, I just want to get rid of the ugly yellowish hue of the DRL's. I cant believe no one's done this yet?!?!

I'm actually quite surprised at how many people want their DRL's turned off. Personally, I've always found the look of the DRL's to be very cool. Makes the car look more aggressive....don't you think??

2000_328CI 09-09-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakram
I was doing a search on the forum and someone made a good point...this bulb is also used for the High Beam (flashing). So whatever bulb is used has to support enought high voltage for the high beams, as well as run on lower voltage while being used as DRL's.

I am not looking to match the xenon's, I just want to get rid of the ugly yellowish hue of the DRL's. I cant believe no one's done this yet?!?!

I'm actually quite surprised at how many people want their DRL's turned off. Personally, I've always found the look of the DRL's to be very cool. Makes the car look more aggressive....don't you think??

two things... one i think the daytime running lights looks bad IMO... two, if you want an awesome bulb that will produce an incredibly white light, buy a pair of Nokya Arctic white Stage 2's... if you need a pair PM me and I'll hook you up.

sakram 09-09-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
two things... one i think the daytime running lights looks bad IMO... two, if you want an awesome bulb that will produce an incredibly white light, buy a pair of Nokya Arctic white Stage 2's... if you need a pair PM me and I'll hook you up.

Will these bulbs run at a lower wattage for DRL's and full brightness for high beams??

How much??

How easy is it to install these bulbs??

snowcatxx87 09-09-2005 02:22 PM

any light at a lower wattage will be much less whiter than what you want. Don't think this can be done with a simple bulb switch. I like the look too, its not that bad. But I like angel eyes better, so no drls i guess :)

JCsE46 09-09-2005 02:33 PM

Quote:

Well, yeah!! IMO, DRL looks ghey to me. I would rather have a DDE lights serving as the DRL. It would more gayish looking if you have both ON (DRL and DDE's at the same time)

rayxi 09-09-2005 02:59 PM

I'm running Silverstars but they don't look that different than the stock GE's at DRL voltage. They are a bit whiter at full voltage.

Daytime Running Lights are there for safety not looks. Your vehicle is more noticable to others in traffic so you are less likely to get hit by someone talking on the cell phone for example.

I'm not thrilled with how DRL look with my DDE's but I'm certainly not turning them off. It would be like turning off my brake lights because I didn't like the way they looked. There's a limit to what I'm willing to do for esthetics and that limit is reached when safety is an issue.

Just my 0.02.

gtb5 10-19-2005 10:56 PM

I asked BMW service here in Hong Kong to turn on DRL but they can't seem to find the code, maybe due to the fact that all cars here don't have DRL. My car is 2003 M3 does anyone know the code that they use to activate DRL so that I can inform service?? Thanks :pimpin:

BMW Loe 10-19-2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

Personally, I've always found the look of the DRL's to be very cool. Makes the car look more aggressive....don't you think??

I've never been a crazy fan of lights, its more functional than style to me :dunno: I have DRLs also, and I enjoy being seen, especially at dusk since I have a black car. Im sure any blue coated bulbs will make the DRL appear whiter or bluer, depending on coating.

desi786 10-20-2005 12:50 AM

sorry to thread jack, but anyone know a DIY for having dde's go on instead of drl? i basically want the ddes to be on by themselves without the yellow tinge of nasty drl! for projector 46 headlights to be specific. sorry again.

emthree 10-20-2005 01:15 AM

I was wondering if this was possible to do as well. Turns out it's not that easy.
Few days ago I installed the SPP Superwhites as my DRL/Highbeam bulb, and it still gave off a yellow hue at DRL wattage. I'm not really sure what your best bet is.

desi786 10-23-2005 11:29 AM

anyone? :bump:

valenti 10-24-2005 01:15 AM

leave ur xenons on all the time...