E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Subs and Amp question (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=29477)

dronell19 09-18-2002 11:41 AM

Subs and Amp question

I'm thinking of buying 2 10" JL W6 subs off a friend.

Question is what kind of amp should I buy? He has a Genesis QM95441 amp (4x70 watts) for sale as well. Should I get this? Or should I buy a better one?

NB: I am a newbie in the ICE department, so pardon me if my question causes readers unstoppable laughter :)

withdrew 09-18-2002 02:03 PM

Re: Subs and Amp question

Quote:

Originally posted by dronell19
I'm thinking of buying 2 10" JL W6 subs off a friend.

Question is what kind of amp should I buy? He has a Genesis QM95441 amp (4x70 watts) for sale as well. Should I get this? Or should I buy a better one?

NB: I am a newbie in the ICE department, so pardon me if my question causes readers unstoppable laughter :)

dude that amp is not strong enough imo for those subs. they can handle more than that so you might as well take advantage and power them with a good, strong amplifier.

djabaley 09-18-2002 02:55 PM

Re: Subs and Amp question

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by dronell19
pardon me if my question causes readers unstoppable laughter :)
hahahaha!

no, just kidding really. as withdrew said, that amp is WAY less than what you need. JL W6 subs need huge amounts of power to really get moving. You need in the range of 300 watts RMS (root mean squared-it's just a way to measure the continuity of power) per driver. (I've attached JL's subwoofer power chart that seems to agree with me on this one.) The units you are looking at are dual voice coil (I think) 6 ohm (sure of that one) units. The resistance of of your drivers plays a major role in choosing what amp to sure. The 6 ohm nature of your your units means that you can wire them in parallel for a 1.5 ohm impedance, or in series for a 6 ohm impedance. Not many amps will do well w/ 6 ohms, so you'll need to wire them in parallel for the 1.5 ohm load. Back to the matter at hand, you need an amp that can deliver approximately 600 watts total at 1.5 ohms. JL makes such an amp: the 500/1. As the name suggets, the amp is rated to deliver 500 watts rms into a 1.5-4.0 ohm load. There's something to be said for brand consistency, so this might not be a bad option. Two other options--and my favorite amps-- are the Diamond Audio D5 600.1 (600 watts w/ 1 ohm minimum) and the rockford fosgate bd500. All three are solid, Class D, mono amps capable of pushing enough power at the right impedance. (FYI: Class D amps are a classification of amplifiers used almost exclusively for bass-range sound production that are highly energy efficient and dissipate very litle heat.) So, any of those three -- or any amp fitting the description I outlined -- are good.

dronell19 09-18-2002 09:02 PM

Thank you very very much both of you :)

What do you think of Alpine amps? Any specific type that'd be good enough for the JL subs? The reason I'm asking this is because I know Alpine distributor personally, so I can get really really good prices for their products.

Here is a link.

Again, thanks very much.

HellFish 09-22-2002 10:00 AM

yeah you need a 600 watt amp. Look on ebay. Pheonix gold is what im running.