E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Turner Motorsports looses championship at VIR M3 engine failure (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=301531)

flacoy2k 10-13-2005 02:48 PM

Turner Motorsports looses championship at VIR M3 engine failure

I read that the turner motorsports M3 could not compete at VIR on the Grand American GS series. They were second in the championship and could have won it. That M3 won the most races. The M3 had an engine failure during qualifying and I guess turner motorsport did not have an extra engine. What a shame. :bawling: There were tons of BMW fans for the October Fest there. Why didn't anybody lend them their engine.

The new mustang won the championship. :cry:

Mteknic330ci 10-13-2005 04:17 PM

That is sad... Mustangs are gay (wanabee Corvettes)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flacoy2k
I read that the turner motorsports M3 could not compete at VIR on the Grand American GS series. They were second in the championship and could have won it. That M3 won the most races. The M3 had an engine failure during qualifying and I guess turner motorsport did not have an extra engine. What a shame. :bawling: There were tons of BMW fans for the October Fest there. Why didn't anybody lend them their engine.

The new mustang won the championship. :cry:

flacoy2k 10-14-2005 06:33 AM

With all the fans that were there with plenty of M3s. I would have lend them my engine. But I believe they would not have time to change the engine anyway since they only had about an hour.

Was anybody here present at that race?

SLEEP3R 10-15-2005 06:47 AM

hmmm... a fan can lend a team an engine from their own car? can someone clarify this for me.

vaio76109 10-17-2005 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLEEP3R
hmmm... a fan can lend a team an engine from their own car? can someone clarify this for me.

I seriously doubt it.

flacoy2k 11-02-2005 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaio76109
I seriously doubt it.

For this particular series yes. The M3 engine engine for this series has no mods at all. The most the team can do is blueprint the engine. I believe they don't even allow new Intake system on the M3 engine.

read what is allow for the M3 on page 7.

http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT...GAC%203-28.pdf

rnitti 11-02-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flacoy2k
For this particular series yes. The M3 engine engine for this series has no mods at all. The most the team can do is blueprint the engine. I believe they don't even allow new Intake system on the M3 engine.

read what is allow for the M3 on page 7.

http://www.grandamerican.com/CONTENT...GAC%203-28.pdf

Actually, if you read closely, almost every part can be modified (lightened, balanced, different pistons) to an extent. These cars are not running factory OEM engines from BMW. They have definetly been gone through.

vaio76109 11-02-2005 01:52 PM

Also theres the possibly that the "fans" engine is highly modified internally(ie-not visible).

flacoy2k 11-02-2005 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaio76109
Also theres the possibly that the "fans" engine is highly modified internally(ie-not visible).

I agree but it would have been fun anyway :str8pimpi even if it failed the post race inspection.

davidwarren 11-02-2005 02:34 PM

if you read 7-8.2 through 7-8.5, the engine internals can only be balanced, not lightened in any way, and must be the same diminsions as OEM.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnitti
Actually, if you read closely, almost every part can be modified (lightened, balanced, different pistons) to an extent. These cars are not running factory OEM engines from BMW. They have definetly been gone through.

flacoy2k 11-02-2005 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwarren
if you read 7-8.2 through 7-8.5, the engine internals can only be balanced, not lightened in any way, and must be the same diminsions as OEM.

Agree the M3 is probably the closest car to production in the entire field. That is why I was sad to see it loose. The mustang that won the championship has a total different engine from Ford racing. The Transmission is not the stock either. The Control arms and suspension pieces are not stock. The M3 is the other hand has its stock engine, transmision and intake. The control arms are stock. Only the shocks, springs, front brakes, exhaust and roll cage are not stock. The turner motorsport M3 was the car that won the most races. They could not catch the mustang in points because the first race they finished last due to electronic pedal malfunction. Grand American has a funny point system like nascar were is hard to beat a car that finishes 3-4 every race when you finish last on one race.

shady3one3 11-03-2005 10:27 AM

GARRA is a waste. PTG M5/6 in ALMS next year :eeps:

jsedlak 11-03-2005 10:32 AM

Don't they run the GTR V8 anyways?

flacoy2k 11-03-2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shady3one3
GARRA is a waste. PTG M5/6 in ALMS next year :eeps:

I wish this was true. Although autoweek published an article that BMW was looking to enter the ALMS with the M6 in the GT1 category.

Here is that article.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101336

b-mak 11-10-2005 02:53 PM

Here is a different take on Turner's GAC M3:

http://grandamerican.com/Messageboar...ad.asp?ID=2726

rnitti 11-14-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwarren

I was referring to 7-8.3 where it states that the lightest piston and rod must be remain unaltered which means that the other ones can be lightened to match.

mrshelley 11-14-2005 09:24 PM

I find it strange that the #96 car drove back to the trailer under it's own power after qualifying. It was parked in the corner of the tent and it never moved from that position. I have worked on many dry sumped motors (the M3 motors in Cup are dry sump) and know that if the belt comes off, the block will have a hole introduced in it. This only takes about 5sec of running.

Plus, there were many M3's at the track and I doubt that it would take very long to change a motor with top notch mechanics. Turner was able to change two motors in their ST cars at Barber without a problem. They only had one spare and a fellow competitor lent them their spare.

One other point. The 996's and 997's are the most stock cars in the GS class. The M3 is next in line, as it is allowed bigger front brakes and a dry sump.

Read into this all you want but something is strange about this whole situation.

BDB325xi 11-19-2005 12:17 PM

Just finished watching the Speedvision coverage of the race. The team had only had 1 1/2 hours to change the engine. Not enough time, even for the Turner crew. That s**ks, but thats racing. Sometimes that happens to "our" team, sometimes to the other guys.

b-mak 11-20-2005 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDB325xi
Just finished watching the Speedvision coverage of the race. The team had only had 1 1/2 hours to change the engine. Not enough time, even for the Turner crew. That s**ks, but thats racing. Sometimes that happens to "our" team, sometimes to the other guys.

Do you always believe what you see on television? If that's the case, I've got a 04 M3 that I'd like to sell you cheap. Just transfer the $20K to my escrow account...

mrshelley 11-21-2005 03:37 PM

There were 2hrs of available time to change the motor. GS qual ended at 11:40 and the Cup race started at 1:50. 3 of us can change a motor in a 330 under 2hrs, so I don't see why an M3 would take any longer. Also, these cars are stripped to the bone, so it is easier to work on them as compared to a normal street car.