E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Quick question about the radiator bleed screw (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=303498)

tblue3cibm 10-20-2005 07:45 AM

Quick question about the radiator bleed screw

Is it supposed to be tightened during normal vehicle operation?

Ivegotissues666 10-20-2005 08:05 AM

Yes! Why wouldnt it be? You wouldn't want coolant leaking out would you?

tblue3cibm 10-20-2005 08:10 AM

True; It just seems to build up so much pressure, how often shouls I bleed?

nEVERCLEAR 10-20-2005 09:15 AM

It is there to bleed the system when you change the fluid or open the sytem. It is a pressurized system, unless you are overheating due to air pockets in the system I see no reason to routinely bleed the system. My plastic screw broke and no one had touched it for 10K miles.

If you do tighten it make sure it is just enough to stop it from leaking they can break.

greenohawk69 10-20-2005 01:42 PM

Yes, be careful when tightening.....they do break. :tsk:

tblue3cibm 10-20-2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nEVERCLEAR
It is there to bleed the system when you change the fluid or open the sytem. It is a pressurized system, unless you are overheating due to air pockets in the system I see no reason to routinely bleed the system. My plastic screw broke and no one had touched it for 10K miles.

If you do tighten it make sure it is just enough to stop it from leaking they can break.

How do I know if I have air pockets in my cooling system; also how do I get rid of them?

nEVERCLEAR 10-20-2005 08:46 PM

If you changed your coolant or waterpump/ thermostat you would have air pockets. If your car is not overheating I would not worry about it.

With the car running you crack the bleeder screw just a little till either pressurized air/ steam or coolant comes out. If air comes out keep it cracked till coolant(Liquid) comes out and you are set.

When you change the coolant you open the bleeder screw and fill till coolant comes out then you close the screw.

It is not really a maintenance issue more or a necessity to make the system work properly if you open it up (Drain it)

If your car has been serviced and it overheats immediately (less then approx. 5 minutes at idle) the system has air pockets and needs to be bleed.

This information is accurate from knowledge gained servicing my car, it may not work for you or be the "Correct diagnosis or procedure" but it worked for me :thumbsup:

tblue3cibm 10-20-2005 08:48 PM

Thanks buddy :thumbsup:

tblue3cibm 10-21-2005 06:56 AM

I think it was air pockets, car began overheating after being driven hard.

Commander FAT 10-21-2005 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tblue3cibm
True; It just seems to build up so much pressure, how often shouls I bleed?

Only bleed after doing a coolant flush.

The filler neck cap will relieve excess pressure. I found that out after an autocross run. I had the needle pegged way high in first gear for nearly the whole run. A minute afterwards coolant was pouring out from underneath the cap.