E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Why BMW does not win races?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=307747)

RockerGuy 11-04-2005 01:33 PM

Why BMW does not win races??

Hey is it me or is that that BMW does not win any races?? They lose F1, not good when I turn on the tube to speed channel. I have never seen them in a race they dominate. Whats up w/ that?? :dunno:

Tenchi 11-04-2005 01:34 PM

cuz BMWs suck.

we lose to Honda Civics on the street

:eeps:

MTreyM 11-04-2005 01:35 PM

Because the drivers are tired from all the p***** they got last night

Jack_Smackus 11-04-2005 01:37 PM

You have to keep in mind how experimental everything they use is. Alot of racing is just testing. There are always periods of domination. They just switched drivers that always takes time for crew and racers and the car to all get into sync. They have had trouble with their tires not doing what they are supposed to, etc.

There is a million and one factors that determine to wins. With all of the recent race changes teams are having to change all of their stratagies and such.

LN-ACS 11-04-2005 01:38 PM

the only bmw team that i see that does well on a regular basis is the turner motorsports team.

maq 11-04-2005 01:48 PM

Well F1 isn't the only race BMW participate in. And in F1 BMW's role is engine supplier, Williams deserves as much blame as BMW does.

As far as I know, BMW Motorsport dominates just about every other race they participate in. They have won the Nurburgring 24hr race one-two 2 years in a row. They have also been dominating ETCC (now WTCC). Not to mention PTG and Turner's success in America.

Penguin Koolaid 11-04-2005 01:59 PM

BMW was dominating in the GT glass with their M3-GTR (v8), then the rules changed :(

BMW V12 LMR won 24hr LeMans in 1999? Then they pulled out to put more money in F1 I think. Lucky for Audi I guess.

Tuscan 11-04-2005 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maq
Well F1 isn't the only race BMW participate in. And in F1 BMW's role is engine supplier, Williams deserves as much blame as BMW does.

As far as I know, BMW Motorsport dominates just about every other race they participate in. They have won the Nurburgring 24hr race one-two 2 years in a row. They have also been dominating ETCC (now WTCC). Not to mention PTG and Turner's success in America.

Not anymore, We'll see if BMW can get better results with next year by pouring a ton of money into F1 and with Saubers staff.

Ximian 11-04-2005 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuscan
Not anymore, We'll see if BMW can get better results with next year by pouring a ton of money into F1 and with Saubers staff.

Toyota what?

Sicily1918 11-04-2005 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuscan

Doubt it -- they'll more than likely require all of 2006 to just get a grip on how to run an entire F1 racing team. We'll see; maybe they'll actually get lucky, considering the changes in store for next year (2.4l V8's, slicks, etc.).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ximian
Toyota what?

Yeah, no kidding...

unionjack 11-05-2005 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ximian
Toyota what?

lol

maq 11-05-2005 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicily1918
Doubt it -- they'll more than likely require all of 2006 to just get a grip on how to run an entire F1 racing team. We'll see; maybe they'll actually get lucky, considering the changes in store for next year (2.4l V8's, slicks, etc.).

Ditto that. Mario Thiessen said himself that he would not expect a great season in 2006. Their target is 2007.

And I don't think Williams will just fade away like that. Cosworth's experience in V8s is very very strong, and if Williams can get their chassis right this time around, this new English partnership might surprise a lot of rivals.

Cobra 11-05-2005 03:53 AM

hows BMW been doing in LeMans? do they even participate?

maq 11-05-2005 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra
hows BMW been doing in LeMans? do they even participate?

Since their involvment in F1 in 2000, they've stopped the Le Mans program.

BMW does not have a strong Le Mans background at all. The 95 Mclaren GTR success did not involve any factory teams. Then as we know FIA allowed cars like the Porsche GT1 and AMG/MB CLK-GTR that were race cars built from sketch (no real road use intention). These cars could literally lap the road car based F1 GTR. Gordan Murray then designed a much more aerodynamic car, the F1 Longtail and its race version, the 97 F1 GTR. Although the most competitive F1 ever built, it was still no match for the Porsche GT1. At the 1997 Le Mans, a Golf F1 GTR finished 2nd, BMW Motorsport finished 3rd. BMW's first and last victory was with the 1999 V12 LMR, this time in LMP1 class instead of the GT1 class they'd always raced in. The team was ran by both Motorsport and Schnitzer.

flacoy2k 11-06-2005 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockerGuy
Hey is it me or is that that BMW does not win any races?? They lose F1, not good when I turn on the tube to speed channel. I have never seen them in a race they dominate. Whats up w/ that?? :dunno:

Where have you been. :dunno: BMW has won in almost every form of motor racing that exist in the world. Very few car maker can say that. They have won races in Formula 1, Grand American GT and GS, European touring car championship, SPEED world challenge, American Lemans Series even the DAKAR rally to mention a few. I believe in 2000-1 BMW almost won every single race in ALMS with the M3 GTR. Last year in Grand American the M3 in GT won almost every race. The same can be said by the Tuner Motor sport 325i that won the Championship in 2003 and 2004. The turner Mortor sport M3 in grand american GS was the car that won the most races. The M3 GTR in Europe won all the mayor 24 hours race with the exeception of Lemans. In WTCC BMW currently leads the series with a 320i. I can go on and on and on. BMW even won the DAKAR rally in a motorcycle. Come to think of there isn't any other company that have won in so many different category :bow:

jmsanders78 11-06-2005 10:01 PM

Bimmerworld had an overall win at the North Carolina Region SCCA 13 hour enduro at VIR last night. And they won by three laps, driving a $10,000 ITS 325is. BMW also swept the ITS category, so I think they do pretty well.

mrshelley 11-14-2005 10:39 PM

BMW's are just not fast and can't win. For example, BMW won 7 out of 14 races in the Grand-Am GT class. A .500 average is horrible. BMW won 5 out of 11 races in GS, so the average is not even worth calculating. Even an old Z3 Coupe won the last Grand-Am Cup race in ST at VIR. A BMW powered Riley won the last DP race in Mexico city. So, for racing in the US, it looks like BMW is pretty much dead.

b-mak 11-16-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshelley
BMW's are just not fast and can't win. For example, BMW won 7 out of 14 races in the Grand-Am GT class. A .500 average is horrible. BMW won 5 out of 11 races in GS, so the average is not even worth calculating. Even an old Z3 Coupe won the last Grand-Am Cup race in ST at VIR. A BMW powered Riley won the last DP race in Mexico city. So, for racing in the US, it looks like BMW is pretty much dead.

Well said. Not fast, indeed.

phrozen06 11-27-2005 07:09 PM

No car manufacturer is going to be dominate 100 percent of the time. For example ferrari's decline this year in formula one. They had a 6 year dominance in the sport but how much money and resources did ferrari have to sink in the program to be successfull. They hired the Best engineers, aerodynamicists, and even had bridgestone build a facility on ferrari's test track. If you have a blank check and competent staff. You can be sucessful an almost anything.

The BMW/Williams Saga in F1 is a result of 2 different philosophies going into 2 different directions. Both companies were successful but not together.

As far as touring cars go. BMW MAKES THE MOST SUCESSFUL TOURING CARS. PERIOD. It was only until other manufactures complained about the rear wheel drive platform is when the Sanctioning Bodies of the touring car world gave BMW weight penalties. LIKE PUTTING ANKLE WEIGHTS ON MICHAEL JORDAN.

Make no mistake BMW'S are made to run....and run hard.

I'm not knocking Daimler-Chrysler, Audi-VW, GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan (I hope they see the light and finally bring the GTR in the state.), Honda etc.

But BIMMERS are made to run, You can't deny that.

pwrsld12 12-05-2005 08:12 PM

.500 is bad in baseball or football

but in racing it is pretty good. plus who wants a team that wins 100% of the time? not me. its boring. remember the begining of 2004 f1 season and ferraris domination. it was lame