E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   My first autox (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308242)

terpfanatic 11-06-2005 07:47 PM

My first autox

Went to my first autox this weekend, at Ripken Stadium. I went with a guy from work, he drives an 04 S2000 (very nimble and fast car) and had a blast. This was my first time doing any type of racing. I met my goal for the day and had alot of fun. Besides driver skill the biggest thing I saw that needed improvement was my tires. I am on my stock conti's, and they were barking like a mean chihuahua all day.

Any recommendations for driver schools around the baltimore area? I had a lot of fun and will def be back when the season starts up next year

Mr Paddle.Shift 11-06-2005 08:42 PM

Yeah! Another one on this side of the fence. :)

I would recommend that you join BMWCCA in your area and attend a few driving events organized by the chapter. Participate in more AutoX events if you can. Don't upgrade anything else other than get used to the car's dynamics. Learn to play around with the tire pressures as well.

What's your DSC status? <3s or >3s off?

terpfanatic 11-06-2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Yeah! Another one on this side of the fence. :)

I would recommend that you join BMWCCA in your area and attend a few driving events organized by the chapter. Participate in more AutoX events if you can. Don't upgrade anything else other than get used to the car's dynamics. Learn to play around with the tire pressures as well.

What's your DSC status? <3s or >3s off?

Im def going back, I think this was the last one for the season. What do you mean buy, <3s or >3s off?

Funny story...atleast for me it was. I had a friend riding with me for my first 3 of 4 runs. On the third run I got 1/3 through and felt that the car was slow coming out of the turns. I noticed the DSC was still on for that run. I yelled out ****!, and turned it off. My friend was all like whats wrong, whats wrong. Damn traction controll.

terpfanatic 11-06-2005 09:01 PM

I got there early so I could walk the course. I walked it 3 times and felt pretty good about it. Except I got lost twice on my first run, I managed to stay on sourse but lost alot of time and hit a couple cones. So I finished with a high 53 sec plus some cones, I decided if I could break 50 sec. I would be happy with my first autox. On the 4th run I hit a clean 49.3xx. that was the only run I took with out a passenger. I got out the car so pumped up after that run, I was high fiving my friend and talkin all kinds of trash. I had lots of fun, and def think im hooked now.

Funfgang 11-07-2005 05:21 AM

I did my first auto x the same day...cept i went to the one in philly...and the DSC was off baby...I beat a couple of z06s!!!

leej323 11-07-2005 09:50 AM

I did a solo2 a couple weekends ago up in the Bay area. I ran in the Street Modified class and was simply toasted by the countless Evos. I think I'm supposed to be in the STS class. I just happened to have SM stickers so I ran with the big boys.

DSC off. Once it kicks in, your revs drop and it's a little hard to get them back up.

Mr Paddle.Shift 11-07-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terpfanatic
What do you mean buy, <3s or >3s off?

I call it the stage 1 or completely off.

If you hold the DSC button less than 3s, it's stage 1. DSC symbol will be illuminated. If you hold the button more than 3s, it's completely off. DSC symbol and BRAKE will be illuminated.

leej323 11-07-2005 10:42 AM

Quote:

If you hold the DSC button less than 3s, it's stage 1. DSC symbol will be illuminated. If you hold the button more than 3s, it's completely off. DSC symbol and BRAKE will be illuminated.

I have an early model 323 and I don't have the full-off DSC + Brake option. Does that mean my DSC is completely disabled with just one push?

Mr Paddle.Shift 11-07-2005 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leej323
I have an early model 323 and I don't have the full-off DSC + Brake option. Does that mean my DSC is completely disabled with just one push?

For your model/year, that will turn off everything. :)

leej323 11-07-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

For your model/year, that will turn off everything. :)

terpfanatic 11-07-2005 01:00 PM

I thought thats what you meant, yeah I had it fully off.

Quote:

Unveiled 11-07-2005 05:29 PM

Do you guys tape your front bumpers prior to going to events?

leej323 11-07-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S54_Mongrel

Hehe, nope.

Funfgang 11-07-2005 08:20 PM

nope...but mine isnt too low either...

vaio76109 11-08-2005 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S54_Mongrel

I wouldnt worry about it for an autox at all. I personally dont use it at road courses.

leej323 11-08-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaio76109
I wouldnt worry about it for an autox at all. I personally dont use it at road courses.

Yeah, same. Besides, even if you tape your bumper, if you clip apexes all day long, the tape won't matter... you'll still scratch up your bumper. My side bumpers have tons of scars not only from the track, but just from everyday driving.

Mr Paddle.Shift 11-08-2005 11:32 AM

I use tape on the track for headlights and front bumper (including fogs).

Headlights? Tracks I go to have sandy/rocky offcourses. If someone spins, they can send rocks flying towards me. When you're flying at 100mph, you want to prevent potential cracks on the headlight covers and fogs caused by the rocks.

Bumper? Not that I want to look bling at the end of the day when removing the tape to reveal the nice-polished finish, but the group I run with often uses slicks. Those rubber bits can stick to the bumper and make it extremely tedious to remove. Post-track weekend should be spent checking car's health and not cleaning bumper! Plus, I have instances when following project race cars means having to deal with their over-rich mixture => oil spray from exhaust. The tape saves me from cleaning the oil stains and rubber-bit scars.

leej323 11-08-2005 11:43 AM

Quote:

Headlights? Tracks I go to have sandy/rocky offcourses. If someone spins, they can send rocks flying towards me. When you're flying at 100mph, you want to prevent potential cracks on the headlight covers and fogs caused by the rocks.

Bumper? Not that I want to look bling at the end of the day when removing the tape to reveal the nice-polished finish, but the group I run with often uses slicks. Those rubber bits can stick to the bumper and make it extremely tedious to remove. Post-track weekend should be spent checking car's health and not cleaning bumper! Plus, I have instances when following project race cars means having to deal with their over-rich mixture => oil spray from exhaust. The tape saves me from cleaning the oil stains and rubber-bit scars.

Ah, so that's the reason for taping bumpers.

vaio76109 11-08-2005 02:56 PM

I havent ever noticed R comps leaving rubber on my bumper, I have noticed it on my hood thought. Those stains or whatever are a PITA to get off.

I should just tape my whole car.

Unveiled 11-08-2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

What kind of tape are you using? Does it ever leave adhesive on your vehicle?