E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General BMW Model Discussion (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   E60 M5 7SPD SMG> E60 M5 6SPD Manual ? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=338453)

alexboy 02-16-2006 05:51 PM

E60 M5 7SPD SMG> E60 M5 6SPD Manual ?
 
whats you position on which car will be faster.....
I think this is different from the e46 m3 6mt > smg wars

because the E60 M5 7spd SMG shines (as shown vs.. the modded marranello)

just curious on yor take

Jeuprx-8 02-16-2006 09:40 PM

The manual will be easier to launch (just like it is in the M3), so 0-60 should be better. There is a chance that the manual will be a 7-speed. This would go in the E92 M3, E60 M5 and they would have a 550i 7-speed (they had a E39 540i 6-speed model), E63 M6, and possibly the new Z10 high performance car.

BMWPower06 02-16-2006 09:46 PM

i hope they put a 7 Speed manual in the e90 M

ironicdesigns 02-17-2006 01:01 AM

isnt it not possible to have a 7 speed manual since the location of the gears would be all jumbled?

imolazhp_ci 02-17-2006 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexboy
whats you position on which car will be faster.....
I think this is different from the e46 m3 6mt > smg wars

because the E60 M5 7spd SMG shines (as shown vs.. the modded marranello)

just curious on yor take

the 6 speed will be slower.... i guarantee it.... mainly because it's a completely afterthought idea. the manual is only coming to the US, and the M5 SMG is the first SMG built AS an SMG, not a standard manual with SMG goodies strapped on. the engine and tranny were built completely in conjunction to work together flawlessly, and they do. the 6 speed wont.

alexboy 02-17-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
the 6 speed will be slower.... i guarantee it.... mainly because it's a completely afterthought idea. the manual is only coming to the US, and the M5 SMG is the first SMG built AS an SMG, not a standard manual with SMG goodies strapped on. the engine and tranny were built completely in conjunction to work together flawlessly, and they do. the 6 speed wont.


Thats what I thought if you watch that m5 vs ferrari vid close you will notice the ferrari would have beaten the M5 but that gearing in th M made up about
1.5 car lengths in 1 gear change!!!! (4th to 5th) I guess we will have to see

alexboy 02-17-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWPower06
i hope they put a 7 Speed manual in the e90 M


Can you say MIS SHIFT's ... I will be damned to manually shift up ,and down
through 7 gears ... but the smg is a CLICK away..

Cobra 02-18-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeuprx-8
The manual will be easier to launch (just like it is in the M3), so 0-60 should be better.

i doubt it- i know the m3 smg has a launch mode program in which it launches you at a high RPM automatically.

SLEEP3R 02-18-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexboy
I will be damned to manually shift up ,and down
through 7 gears ... but the smg is a CLICK away..

you lazy a$$ :P

Ferrarislave 02-20-2006 02:24 AM

SMG..... It's like asking if the F430 feels nicer in 6speed or F1 -- F1!. SMG shifts lightning quick, and despite it lacking launch control it's very fun.

imolazhp_ci 02-20-2006 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrarislave
SMG..... It's like asking if the F430 feels nicer in 6speed or F1 -- F1!. SMG shifts lightning quick, and despite it lacking launch control it's very fun.

it does have launch control...for the M5 it's a detuned version and is activated at the 1200 miles break in service.

Transporter99 02-20-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
it does have launch control...for the M5 it's a detuned version and is activated at the 1200 miles break in service.

I heard there is a better version of the Launch control that our folks over the pond will get, and we wont. In comparo test in one of the major magazines they mentioned 0-60 times of 4.1 with both the M5 and M6 SMG models, but that they had the non-US Launch Control. :(

hammerfang 02-20-2006 10:05 AM

even if it is faster were only talking a few tenths of a second here, come on guys how often r u cutting corners at nurenburg? i'll operate my own clutch thank you

russ330 02-20-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironicdesigns
isnt it not possible to have a 7 speed manual since the location of the gears would be all jumbled?

I believe so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
the 6 speed will be slower.... i guarantee it.... mainly because it's a completely afterthought idea.

Yup, I think something else that will factor in is the gear ratio. Will it be geared to have the same top speed as the SMG version or will it be geared for the same 0-60? There is no way that a 6 speed will be able to provide both. Chances are it will be geared somewhere in the middle. A little slower acceleration and a little less top end speed.

W// 02-20-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexboy
Can you say MIS SHIFT's ...

People who can't shift (unless you have med problems) don't deserve an M5... they should get an auto Honda or learn to drive.

2001BMW330xi 02-20-2006 11:09 AM

i think they already announced that it's definetely going to be a 6-speed manual that will be coming to the U.S. next year. I'm pro SMG (my M3 is SMGII). I never thought about it this way:

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp ci
the 6 speed will be slower.... i guarantee it.... mainly because it's a completely afterthought idea. the manual is only coming to the US, and the M5 SMG is the first SMG built AS an SMG, not a standard manual with SMG goodies strapped on. the engine and tranny were built completely in conjunction to work together flawlessly, and they do. the 6 speed wont.

very good point. The other question is, will the 6speed still have the power/sport button which releases all 500hp of the V10 engine? I know the SMGIII has that. Each time you start the car, the power is reduced to 400hp.

imolazhp_ci 02-20-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transporter99
I heard there is a better version of the Launch control that our folks over the pond will get, and we wont. In comparo test in one of the major magazines they mentioned 0-60 times of 4.1 with both the M5 and M6 SMG models, but that they had the non-US Launch Control. :(

no you are wrong. those WERE US spec cars and they DID have US launch control... however, they didn't use launch control to get those times, they explain how they did.

sammjordan 03-02-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci
the 6 speed will be slower.... i guarantee it.... mainly because it's a completely afterthought idea. the manual is only coming to the US, and the M5 SMG is the first SMG built AS an SMG, not a standard manual with SMG goodies strapped on. the engine and tranny were built completely in conjunction to work together flawlessly, and they do. the 6 speed wont.

:werd: the e60 m5 was built totally around the smg transmission, whereas the m3 was built first with the manual and then the smg added on.

davidwarren 03-02-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironicdesigns
isnt it not possible to have a 7 speed manual since the location of the gears would be all jumbled?

Why would it be impossible? It would look like the shift pattern on my 5-speed with one more set of gates. I think the problem would be the increased risk of mis-shift. I think money shifting an m5 would be really really bad.

DTM CiS 03-02-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwarren
Why would it be impossible? It would look like the shift pattern on my 5-speed with one more set of gates. I think the problem would be the increased risk of mis-shift. I think money shifting an m5 would be really really bad.

sorry, you have no idea what you are talking about. your basic knowledge of gears doesnt apply to every car out there.

if you look at the pre-production video of the m5, they explain that to get optimal gearing and positioning, had they used 7 gears for manual, the configuration and placement of the gears would have been off...

for example..

instead of

1 3 5 7
2 4 6

it would have been something like

3 2 7 4
6 5 1

that's what he's talking about.


since they couldnt pull it off for a 7 speed, they resorted to the 6 mt.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use