E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Home Improvement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   electrostatic speakers (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=342215)

195 02-28-2006 10:21 AM

electrostatic speakers
 
Anybody got em? My dream home theatre includes a pair or possibly surround with electrostatics.

Just wondering if anyone has forked over that kind of cash for sound?

Opinions and impressions appreciated!! :thumbup:

slow323ci 02-28-2006 11:47 AM

I looked at replacing my 22 year old ADS L1290's with some Martin-Logan's but they didn't sound as good. :dunno: I shopped long and hard and ended up keeping my old speakers, nothing for less than $4k sounded as good to my ears.

The only flat panel speakers I've heard that I like the sound of are old Apogee full range ribbons. I auditioned a pair of Apogee Full Range's back in 1986 and that still stands as the best sound reproduction I've ever heard. They were $9,000 in 1986 and I didn't have that kind of money back then. Not to mention the cost of amplification that is stable under < 1 ohm loads... We were talking a $20k stack of Levinson or Krell electronics to drive those puppies.

I don't like Martin-Logans, don't like Quads, don't like Magnepans. I like the looks of the M-L's, but the sound seems really lacking, esp. for the price.

195 02-28-2006 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow323ci
I looked at replacing my 22 year old ADS L1290's with some Martin-Logan's but they didn't sound as good. :dunno: I shopped long and hard and ended up keeping my old speakers, nothing for less than $4k sounded as good to my ears.

The only flat panel speakers I've heard that I like the sound of are old Apogee full range ribbons. I auditioned a pair of Apogee Full Range's back in 1986 and that still stands as the best sound reproduction I've ever heard. They were $9,000 in 1986 and I didn't have that kind of money back then. Not to mention the cost of amplification that is stable under < 1 ohm loads... We were talking a $20k stack of Levinson or Krell electronics to drive those puppies.

I don't like Martin-Logans, don't like Quads, don't like Magnepans. I like the looks of the M-L's, but the sound seems really lacking, esp. for the price.

Thanks for the opinion on the martin logans. I think they look the best as well. But i'm surprised to hear you say you don't like the Quads. You are talking about the original Quads? A lot of people say those are the best speakers ever made. I have never heard them in person so I don't know.

trippinbillies4 02-28-2006 12:32 PM

I have a pair of Aeon i's. I absolutely love them. They show off the good and the bad, so be prepared for that. I would also recommend having a room where they can have a little room to work with the acoustics both in front of and behind them.

slow323ci 02-28-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 195
You are talking about the original Quads? A lot of people say those are the best speakers ever made.

Yes, the originals. They used to be very common on the used market but now you hardly ever see them. Getting old, just like me, I guess.

Heck, nowadays I don't think I can even hear frequencies above 15 kHz. Too many loud cars and louder rock and roll. Bright side is I guess I'll save some money on audio gear!

sycE46 03-01-2006 12:19 PM

I also spent some time listening to some martin-logans. I didn't like them either... some people really like them though. My favorites are still B&Ws.

Transporter99 03-02-2006 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycE46
I also spent some time listening to some martin-logans. I didn't like them either... some people really like them though. My favorites are still B&Ws.


You gotta love the BMW/B&W love affair, hehe! I remember listening to electrostatic Martin Logan's and really liked them, but they didn't have low freq response. They were way out of my price range, so I didn't invest more than 3 tears over my dissapointment for them. Happy with my B&W's too.

Red_wagen 03-03-2006 09:00 PM

I have both Maggies and Logans and I love 'em. For a HT setup they should work. I think they would be more music material sensitive than anything.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use