E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Teflon Paint Sealer? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=344178)

Mr.Clean 03-06-2006 06:49 AM

Teflon Paint Sealer?

So I was at the dealership on Saturday ordering my M3 and the sales guy asks me if I would be interested in a dealer installed teflon paint sealer. I was like, WTF? I told him I'd have to think about it. Sounds like a scam to me... Anybody have any idea what this is? Is it worth $600?

Thanks in advance!

OCDGarage 03-06-2006 08:32 AM

All paint sealants sold at dealerships are a numbers game. They are no different than the polymer waxes we all use. There is no paint sealant that lasts past six moths especially when exposed to temperatures of 150 degrees daily or road salt, bird bomds etc. What they are selling you is a waranty. Thats it. As far as teflon goes, you need to heat it above 500 or 600 degrees for it bond. I don't think you paint would like that :-). I had a dealer staffing service with 60 employees and I applied thousands of paint sealants. Simonize and The Protector are commonly used at dealers and don't compare in durability to a polymer such as Klasse, FMJ or even Zaino. IMP

Brett @ OCD

Detailed Image 03-06-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDGarage
All paint sealants sold at dealerships are a numbers game. They are no different than the polymer waxes we all use. There is no paint sealant that lasts past six moths especially when exposed to temperatures of 150 degrees daily or road salt, bird bomds etc. What they are selling you is a waranty. Thats it. As far as teflon goes, you need to heat it above 500 or 600 degrees for it bond. I don't think you paint would like that :-). I had a dealer staffing service with 60 employees and I applied thousands of paint sealants. Simonize and The Protector are commonly used at dealers and don't compare in durability to a polymer such as Klasse, FMJ or even Zaino. IMP

Brett @ OCD

Well put, I agree 100%

George

Mr.Clean 03-06-2006 08:50 PM

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for reassuring me! I'll tell the dealer to pucker up and ... well, you know...

M_Thrizzle 03-06-2006 11:57 PM

My friend got this done on his WRX recently, and I begged him not to. He said, "my friends did it and the cars looked so clean afterwards." Of course they did, it was fresh. He is usually tight with money and I can't believe he WASTED his dough on that scam. I told him you have to recondition it every 6 months and I knew he wouldn't be doing that. I'm going to get a local guy to put on 3 coats of Zaino for me at a fraction of the cost(I'll maintain it after that) , which lasts 6months. I'm not sure if I'll rub it in his face.

brk4euros 03-12-2006 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDGarage

Brett @ OCD

I too agree! If you look at most of the warranties that they have, the product must be reapplied every 6 months. Nothing will last longer than that!

CBZCP 03-15-2006 09:07 PM

When I picked up my M last year I got hit with the same question. Sounded good but I didn't think technology had progressed to that level yet. Glad to see I was right.

On the other hand, I think in 10 years we will be able to put lifetime sealants on as the result of nanotechnology. Nissan already has a self healing paint that will fix small scratches on its own. They did that by leveraging current nanotech.