E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Tapping Oil Pan? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=344840)

Lay2Low 03-07-2006 11:35 PM

Tapping Oil Pan?

This coming weekend I am going to need to tap my oil pan for a feed and return line for a special, umm, *project* that I have going on. What is the best method to tap the pan? Is it necessary to remove the oilpan, or can I just go straight through? Is it very hard to get up in there to make the taps?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

rmepilot 03-08-2006 12:31 AM

If you're going to "tap" into your oil pan, you definately want to remove it. This way you can guarantee that there will be no shavings that get into your oil system. Also, you will be able to place the taps exactly where you want them. Good luck! :thumbup:

Rob

ewok 03-08-2006 12:36 AM

Tapping is very easy and you wont have any problems getting in there with a tap. Your main concern is the required drilling of the pan. Its a tight fit with an electric drill cause you need to be able to drill "straight" and not in an angle, so your *special project's* flange can sit perfectly flush against the pan. I was told to use a 90 degree attachment for this very reason. Trust me, I was very concearned about this as well, just take your time. It sounds scary at first but one you've started its really not a big deal at all. Good luck. :thumbup:

Lay2Low 03-08-2006 01:44 AM

ewok- Did you do this? Did you remove the oil pan? I know that removing it will be the safest thing, but not necessarily the easiest thing to do.

Anymore info would be great :thumbsup:

ewok 03-08-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lay2Low
ewok- Did you do this? Did you remove the oil pan? I know that removing it will be the safest thing, but not necessarily the easiest thing to do.

Anymore info would be great :thumbsup:

I left the oil pan in place. Just be sure not to drive the drill in the full length of the bit, cause there are gears right behind that area. And remember to change your oil before start up.

Lay2Low 03-08-2006 03:33 PM

Sounds pretty good. Can you send me or post some pics of your oil pan tapped? Any speical tools or tips I should know too?

BimmerDude18 03-08-2006 03:38 PM

Not sure what the oil pan is made of but if its something magnetic might want to run a magnet on a stick around the area after you drill to try to collect some of the shavings up, maybe even flush it with some fresh oil. Just speaking from assumptions here though, I haven't ever done this type of thing.

HighBoostin330 03-08-2006 05:33 PM

Drill with MAJOR caution. Oil pump could be damaged if you go too far. Otherwise, listen to the recommendations and have fun with your project!:)

Elefant 03-08-2006 11:06 PM

i strongly suggest removing the pan and then drilling, otherwise you might risk oil shavings picked up by your oil pump. and you will get alot more piece of mind when driving the thing hard.

Lay2Low 03-09-2006 01:08 AM

Any recomendation/input on this product: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TEN9910200

I think I will have my hands full this weekend. :thumbsup:

ewok 03-09-2006 01:31 AM

thats nice!

Good luck!

Lay2Low 03-09-2006 01:32 AM

How does it work though lol?

ewok 03-09-2006 01:57 AM

hahaha.... I thinks it's more for an oil cooler set up. Not for a oil return line.

Oshin02 03-09-2006 04:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this for a turbo return line? If so, here is the loction........someone else has a project under it's way:shhh:

Lay2Low 03-09-2006 04:53 PM

Oshino- thanks for the diagram. Can you send me the link to where you got it and email all the specs on making the taps like this? I need to have a feed and return line. Thanks for the help and I think I would like to go this route as long as there are more details!

makr 03-09-2006 05:46 PM

Fill the flutes of the tap with heavy grease, like wheel grease. The chips will be trapped in the grease instead of falling in the pan. You may want to do it with the drill also.

Oshin02 03-09-2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makr
Fill the flutes of the tap with heavy grease, like wheel grease. The chips will be trapped in the grease instead of falling in the pan. You may want to do it with the drill also.

NO:rolleyes: ...... drop the oil pan. there is no need to risk damaging the oil pump.

Oshin02 03-09-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Oshino- thanks for the diagram. Can you send me the link to where you got it and email all the specs on making the taps like this? I need to have a feed and return line. Thanks for the help and I think I would like to go this route as long as there are more details!

I scanned the diagram off of a bmw tec's manual which I've managed to dig up. It seems like your walking on the same road that I am--- two heads are better then one;).......about all the information provided, I have it pretty much covered........"Boost comming soon", thats what I shall leave it at:clap:

Lay2Low 03-10-2006 12:08 AM

So Oshin, how are you actually going to make the tap for your oil feed and return? Return does not seem to be as much of a problem as the feed line.

I was thinking of more ways to do it and kinda piecing together everyones suggestions, and this is the newest idea I had:
For the Feed line, I was thinking of taking out the oil drain and replacing it with the appropriate fittings. This way, I know that the tap has the structrual integrity, and will be seeing a lot of oil, so less chance of a dry suck.
For the return line, I was thinking of just tapping something like the dipstick where it has no real bearing on the oil pan, but the oil will still be returning.

This seems like it may work, but any input on this? It seems like the safest and easiest routh. :dunno:

joema 03-10-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:

...I was thinking of taking out the oil drain and replacing it with the appropriate fittings...

That's a good point. Why don't supercharger kit mfgs (Technik, etc) that require tapping the oil pan do this instead?

Drilling and tapping the oil pan seems very iffy. Drill/tap into the pan, let the metal shavings fly and hope for the best? You could drop the oil pan (although the installation instructions don't specify that). But how many installers drop the oil pan?

I don't think ESS requires tapping the oil pan. However don't know what they do instead.