E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General BMW Model Discussion (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Mazda 6 Speed vs. 5 Series (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=346880)

///MACHINE 03-14-2006 12:11 AM

Mazda 6 Speed vs. 5 Series

Check out this article comparing the mazda 6 speed against a BMW 530i.

http://automotive.mytelus.com/automo...da&artid=56369

btw... most of the comparison in on the last page.

aras_aslan 03-14-2006 03:06 AM

Such a amatuer review. How can you campare that car to a 5 series which is in a class mazda doesnt even have. :thumbdwn:

EDawg 03-14-2006 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aras_aslan
Such a amatuer review. How can you campare that car to a 5 series which is in a class mazda doesnt even have. :thumbdwn:

you're missing his whole point. the point he's trying to make is that for about half the price of a 530xi, you get a car that's awd, more powerful, quicker, yet almost as well equiped as the 530xi. he's basically saying, the mazdaspeed 6 is a great car and a great bargain, and is a good buy for anyone who cares to save some money and use it on other life's passions instead of on brand name and prestige. this is not to say that there aren't people who feel the 530xi is worth $55K-$60K, only that perceived value is based on one's priorities. nonetheless, there's nothing wrong with his assessment. the mazdaspeed6 IS a good value, considering what the car offers.

Ryan320dsaloon 03-14-2006 06:01 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^werd

aras_aslan 03-14-2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDawg
you're missing his whole point. the point he's trying to make is that for about half the price of a 530xi, you get a car that's awd, more powerful, quicker, yet almost as well equiped as the 530xi. he's basically saying, the mazdaspeed 6 is a great car and a great bargain, and is a good buy for anyone who cares to save some money and use it on other life's passions instead of on brand name and prestige. this is not to say that there aren't people who feel the 530xi is worth $55K-$60K, only that perceived value is based on one's priorities. nonetheless, there's nothing wrong with his assessment. the mazdaspeed6 IS a good value, considering what the car offers.

You re missing my whole point. If i look at things from your aspect, mazda 6 speed is better buy than a 740d(probably you dont have it in USA ) just because Mazda is faster, awd and cheaper on the other hand 740d comsumes less, more comfortablem has higher quality outside and inside, has larger room inside... Or Z06 vette is a better buy than a M5 just because vette is cheaper, faster. I m sorry but this is non sense. Every car is built for diffrent purposes. It is not only the prestige and brand name between 530xi and mazda 6. I hope you re getting my point. It is all about what you want from the car. That review is crap. :werd:

schon weg 03-14-2006 07:52 AM

http://www.stayout.com/_images/apples_oranges.gif

.....and BMW is a prestigious name because of its quality of design and construction. Just because the world is home to fast-money douchebags buying fine cars strictly for the name certainly does not mean that the BMW brand is somehow sullied by those amateur, nouveau-riche proclivities.

rmepilot 03-14-2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schon weg

:clap: The most accurate statement yet! :thumbup:

Tenchi 03-14-2006 08:03 AM

that six looks nice tho

EDawg 03-14-2006 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aras_aslan
You re missing my whole point. If i look at things from your aspect, mazda 6 speed is better buy than a 740d(probably you dont have it in USA ) just because Mazda is faster, awd and cheaper on the other hand 740d comsumes less, more comfortablem has higher quality outside and inside, has larger room inside... Or Z06 vette is a better buy than a M5 just because vette is cheaper, faster. I m sorry but this is non sense. Every car is built for diffrent purposes. It is not only the prestige and brand name between 530xi and mazda 6. I hope you re getting my point. It is all about what you want from the car. That review is crap. :werd:

i think you should try reading the article again more carefully, cuz apparently you are filtering out most of what the author is saying and just focusing on a couple of sentences to make your point. in the third to last paragraph, the author begins by saying, "Fully-loaded MAZDASPEED Sixes are priced under $40,000, but it's hard to place this car in an exact spot in the competitive landscape." this sentence is basically saying that he feels the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category of its own and that it really isn't a direct competitor with any of the other cars out there. (of course this statement is flawed, cuz the mazdaspeed6 is a direct competitor of the subaru legacy gt, but that's besides the point.) he then goes on and makes comparisons with 2 cars in the market that are "similar" fundamentally (being AWD sedans), the WRX and 530xi, both of which, as he already acknowledged, are not direct competitors with the mazdaspeed6, but he makes the comparisons with them only to make a couple of points. compared with the wrx, the mazda offers more in size, power, features, and comfort without costing much more (thus the reason they are not direct competitors.) compared with the 530xi, a fully loaded mazdaspeed6 offers almost as much of the superfluous features and amenities as the bmw while costing nearly half its price (and thus the reason why they are also not direct competitors.) the 530xi, and not the 740d, for example, was chosen to illustrate his point because the mazdaspeed6 and 530xi are most comparable to each other fundamentally from the 2 companies--"Let's say you want a well-equipped and powerful sedan with all-wheel drive. From BMW, you would be looking at the slightly larger 5-Series." the author is not just comparing cars based merely on how fast they are relative to how much they cost compared with each other. his whole point of making the comparisons of the mazdaspeed6 with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category and doesn't really have any direct competitors (again, this statement is flawed.) he never implicated that the bmw 530xi was not worth more money--"Is the BMW worth more money? Sure it is. It's the pinnacle of European automotive performance."--but only that given the similarity in features and amenities between the mazda and the bmw the price difference is quite large, but he does understand that the bmw does offer certain things that the mazda doesn't, but whether or not the added attributes of the bmw (tangible or intangible) are worth that huge extra amount of money will depend on the individual--"Is it worth twice as much? Likely not--but it depends on what you find important." so to summarize, the comparison with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed offers a lot of features and amenities and is a great value, relative to what you get for the money. the author in no way implicated that the 530i and mazdaspeed6 are direct competitors with each other, nor that they should be direct competitors. therefore, from your examples, comparing a mazdaspeed6 with the 740d, or the z06 with the m5 does not reflect either the authors point of view or mine.

Griff330 03-14-2006 12:08 PM

I bought my 330Ci used. Its a 2001 and I bought it when it was 5 years old (built 11/00). The mercedes dealer who took me for the test drive could not believe the car was 5 years old, it handled like it was brand new. No rattles, no engine roar and no wind noise with closed windows. When one of these new cars with more horsepower that keep comparing themselve to bimmers gets to be 5 years old and feels fresh off the showroom floor, I'll be impressed by them. Until then all I can say is nice car. But I have no reason to think its a better purchase than a Bimmer.

You can't just put a powerful engine in a small car and think you can take on BMW.

Another way to look at it is that if they are making that low price point they have to be cutting corners somewhere.

Rome 03-14-2006 01:57 PM

It's still a Mazda 6, at the end of the day you can buy an under warranty CPO 5 series and save money if you really wanted to play that numbers game. Are my D&G tshirts better than my Emporio shirts? No because I can't wear a tshirt to work. Same concept, they may offer the same thing; coverage of your nakedness, quality fabrics, fashionable look. Yet in the end they are not the same. And a word on cutting corners; check out their crash test safety ratings. Game set match.

chamber36 03-15-2006 11:04 AM

i agree with the people who think this review sucks..... its the same as the hyundai azura or whatever comparing itself to the 7 series... all and all just because its faster and cheaper, its still a hyundai and still a mazda.

aras_aslan 03-15-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDawg
i think you should try reading the article again more carefully, cuz apparently you are filtering out most of what the author is saying and just focusing on a couple of sentences to make your point. in the third to last paragraph, the author begins by saying, "Fully-loaded MAZDASPEED Sixes are priced under $40,000, but it's hard to place this car in an exact spot in the competitive landscape." this sentence is basically saying that he feels the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category of its own and that it really isn't a direct competitor with any of the other cars out there. (of course this statement is flawed, cuz the mazdaspeed6 is a direct competitor of the subaru legacy gt, but that's besides the point.) he then goes on and makes comparisons with 2 cars in the market that are "similar" fundamentally (being AWD sedans), the WRX and 530xi, both of which, as he already acknowledged, are not direct competitors with the mazdaspeed6, but he makes the comparisons with them only to make a couple of points. compared with the wrx, the mazda offers more in size, power, features, and comfort without costing much more (thus the reason they are not direct competitors.) compared with the 530xi, a fully loaded mazdaspeed6 offers almost as much of the superfluous features and amenities as the bmw while costing nearly half its price (and thus the reason why they are also not direct competitors.) the 530xi, and not the 740d, for example, was chosen to illustrate his point because the mazdaspeed6 and 530xi are most comparable to each other fundamentally from the 2 companies--"Let's say you want a well-equipped and powerful sedan with all-wheel drive. From BMW, you would be looking at the slightly larger 5-Series." the author is not just comparing cars based merely on how fast they are relative to how much they cost compared with each other. his whole point of making the comparisons of the mazdaspeed6 with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed6 is in a unique category and doesn't really have any direct competitors (again, this statement is flawed.) he never implicated that the bmw 530xi was not worth more money--"Is the BMW worth more money? Sure it is. It's the pinnacle of European automotive performance."--but only that given the similarity in features and amenities between the mazda and the bmw the price difference is quite large, but he does understand that the bmw does offer certain things that the mazda doesn't, but whether or not the added attributes of the bmw (tangible or intangible) are worth that huge extra amount of money will depend on the individual--"Is it worth twice as much? Likely not--but it depends on what you find important." so to summarize, the comparison with the wrx and 530xi is only to make the point that the mazdaspeed offers a lot of features and amenities and is a great value, relative to what you get for the money. the author in no way implicated that the 530i and mazdaspeed6 are direct competitors with each other, nor that they should be direct competitors. therefore, from your examples, comparing a mazdaspeed6 with the 740d, or the z06 with the m5 does not reflect either the authors point of view or mine.

Man, i respect you. You are definetly right with the point that i was foucusing on just two sentences and saying that review sucks. That was my bad. On the other hand i still think that comparision to Bmw is bullshieeet. I m saying again; diffrent classes, diffrent purposes. Apples and oranges

DC83 03-24-2006 03:21 PM

mazda speed6 is trash, PERIOD!!! ive read it somewhere on the mazda forum how A LOT of them have this mysterios crazy power lose probably due to heat soak(top mount with no scoop)for 35k,Id take a subaru legacy spec B over it any day.(better performance,better interior)