E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General BMW Model Discussion (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   BMW Reliability / JD Power and Associates (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=351388)

///AZNSLVR 03-28-2006 08:40 AM

BMW Dependability / JD Power and Associates

Man...I hate that fact I have to do this but I wanted to post this stat sheet from JD Power and Associates. I honestly still love my car and its 5 years old already. I have a 330ci 2001 and the amount of problems I had with her is beyond comprehension if I gave you the run down. But thats another thread.

So here is the JD Power and Associates report on dependability.

BMW ranks 11. :rolleyes:
Lexus ranks 1 :yikes: Lexus is still an ugly vehicle though....:spit:

Tutankhamon 03-28-2006 09:16 AM

If you were trying to post up the graph, it didn't come up but that's okay since it's a :repost:
In any case, some of those statistics just don't make sense to me. If memory serves.. porsche was second... and kia was like LAST?!
I love porsches but are they really some of the most reliable cars on the road? (so reliable that they would be on par with lexus).
Also are kia's that bad? I can't imagine them being as unreliable as the graph shows...
What gives? :dunno:

///AZNSLVR 03-28-2006 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
that was strange...here is the graph. Sorry about that.

jt330ci 03-28-2006 09:26 AM

I believe that the most reliable cars are Honda and acuras and other japanese cars. I think that a car will last forever as long as it is taken care of the right way. JUST my opinion

jt330ci 03-28-2006 09:27 AM

Even if that graph is right BMW is still in 11th. Look at how many car companies ther are

///AZNSLVR 03-28-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jt330ci
I believe that the most reliable cars are Honda and acuras and other japanese cars. I think that a car will last forever as long as it is taken care of the right way. JUST my opinion

Agree. I had an Accord and that puppy lasted freaking 110k. I could have easily taken her for another 50k

But the performance from that to my 3 is no comparison. Apples and oranges.

cncmastr 03-28-2006 09:32 AM

I wonder if that is weighted for cars on the road. For example, BMW obviously sells more cars than Porsche, so the reported problems are going to be less for Porcshe than BMW. I wonder if that is taken into account. :dunno:

davidwarren 03-28-2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cncmastr
I wonder if that is weighted for cars on the road. For example, BMW obviously sells more cars than Porsche, so the reported problems are going to be less for Porcshe than BMW. I wonder if that is taken into account. :dunno:

it is, it is problems per 100 vehicles

frobie15 03-28-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGonzaga330CI
Agree. I had an Accord and that puppy lasted freaking 110k. I could have easily taken her for another 50k

But the performance from that to my 3 is no comparison. Apples and oranges.

I assure you that a well maintain Accord will run 300k without issue. A couple of my friends have had Hondas that ran well into the 200k's. But I have to agree with you about the Accord being boring to drive. As reliable as they are, I doubt I'll ever own one.

Ares 03-28-2006 11:43 AM

I bet part of the reason Porsche is second has to do with the way they are driven and the time spent on the road. If most of those cars are garaged and kept as a second car, you can't very well compare it's dependaility against a daily driver.

///dean 03-28-2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frobie15
I assure you that a well maintain Accord will run 300k without issue. A couple of my friends have had Hondas that ran well into the 200k's. But I have to agree with you about the Accord being boring to drive. As reliable as they are, I doubt I'll ever own one.

I HAVE to agree w/ this one...I have an 1988 Accord w/ 160k on the clock running strong. NO problems through out it's almost 20 year lifespan. I couldn't even say that for 2 years of some domestics I've owned.

Staszek 03-28-2006 01:01 PM

We are still above the industry average. Also the one problem I think with these reports is it encompasses everything, I tend to see BMW owners more picky then others although I do think the Honda/Toyota line is more reliable.

BTW 145,000 and car runs great, runs circles around my sisters brand new Saab and my moms FX35 in interior quality. And pretty much performance but the FX is in a different catagory so that doesnt count.

Basically not one person who gets in or drives my car can believe its anything more then a year old.

MichelleJD 03-28-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ares
I bet part of the reason Porsche is second has to do with the way they are driven and the time spent on the road. If most of those cars are garaged and kept as a second car, you can't very well compare it's dependaility against a daily driver.

I drove a 1986 944 for 10 years as a daily driver before blowing a head gasket at 275K miles. The bottom end was still in great shape pushing 4.5 bar oil pressure at speed. Replace the head gasket and then sold the car. It's still going strong. Yeah, Porsche's are that good.

dmontic71 03-28-2006 01:19 PM

We are way ahead of Mercedes Benz, and that is what really counts!

///AZNSLVR 03-28-2006 01:32 PM

Thats true. I don't think Benz are worth it around the price area we are in.

However I think the style of Benz is amazing once you step into the CLS / CL / SL range. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :lmao:

And if and when you are at that range money will not matter...lol :lmao:

DrMooCow 03-28-2006 04:03 PM

I personally prefer the old style benz. I love the SL560. Oh god that thing is so sexy. But yes, as long as a bmw is more reliable then the benz, I am happy.

Rush4theYehO 03-28-2006 04:07 PM

I think it's the electrical "issues" that get BMW. I honestly haven't heard of too many mechanical/engine problems with BMW's in general.

Staszek 03-28-2006 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO
I think it's the electrical "issues" that get BMW. I honestly haven't heard of too many mechanical/engine problems with BMW's in general.

Agreed, the engines are pretty much bullet proof. IMO.

Cobra 03-28-2006 05:04 PM

not surprised, i don't expect any german car manufacturer to be in the top 5(porsche is there probably because of sales and owners not being able to drive as much) anytime soon. thats what japanese cars are for, reliability. and the main problem with bimmers are electrical ones, as said above. lets also not forget the infamous subframe problem, though :thumbdwn:

frobie15 03-28-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VS
I HAVE to agree w/ this one...I have an 1988 Accord w/ 160k on the clock running strong. NO problems through out it's almost 20 year lifespan. I couldn't even say that for 2 years of some domestics I've owned.

Most Domestics that I've been around haven't been too bad. My old '99 F-150 4x4 never once gave me a major problem :dunno: . I think that maybe domestic trucks/SUVs are built better than the general cars since they're the bread and butter.

I think that BMW owners tend to be "car people", who are going to be ALOT more picky about their cars...