E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Car Care & Detailing (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Question On Wheel Wax (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=354981)

JC7727 04-08-2006 04:55 PM

Question On Wheel Wax

I own DPE rims with a polished lip and brushed face. I have wheel wax and plan on waxing the rims. What do I do in regards to the polished lip? Can I wax it? How can I protect the mirror shine? I have used never dull and mothers on the lip to polish it but is their a product that provides protection?

Thanks, Jimmy

JC7727 04-08-2006 05:33 PM

I also noticed little raised specs maybe oxidation on the inside of the rim, any advice on how to remove it. I do not want to use sand paper.

Greg@DetailedImage.com 04-08-2006 05:44 PM

To clean the rim you can use simple automotive shampoo with a clean microfiber towel, microfiber mitt, sponge etc. Just make sure its very clean and rinse frequently with the two bucket method (let me know if you need info on that). Keeping your cleaning tools clean is essentail to cleaning effectively and not adding swirls or scratches. When you have really stuborn build up or your ready to deep clean the wheels I would recommend a metal polish.

You can apply a wax or sealant to the polished lip. I really like to apply a Wheel Sealant like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant or the Wheel Wax. This will help protect the wheels from high temperature brake dust build up and other road grime. Brake dust comes off the pads at several hundred degrees so they sizzle on the wheel and become embedded on the wheel. The Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant can resist temperatures up to 400+. On top of that the Wheel Sealant will also give the wheels a brilliant gloss that really makes the wheels look stunning. Apply multiple coats for increased protection and gloss. It applies and removes fairly easy, just buff on (I prefer a microfiber applicator) and buff it off with a clean cloth ( I prefer a nice microfiber). Wheel Wax is very similar except it has more cleaning properties that help remove contamination while protecting the wheel. The Poorboy's Wheel Sealant probably lasts a little longer but the Wheel Wax cleans a little better. Both are great and will protect your wheels very well.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you need any more advice.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Greg@DetailedImage.com 04-08-2006 05:53 PM

For that raised spec there is many different possible solutions, sand paper should be option Z. I assume that it didn't come off with a simple wash or the polishes you talked about before, therefore its likely not oxidation, because those polishes typically will remove oxidation. A slightly more aggressive polish is the P21S Finish Restorer. This is great at removing oxidation, rail dust, contaminates and more. Another option is to use a clay bar on the surface to safely pull the spec off the surface. This works on debris thats not too tightly bonded to the wheel. If the polish and clay doesn't work you can use a cleaner like Tarminator (similar effect to mineral spirits, gas, WD-40, etc.) This is a strong cleaner that seperates just about anything from the surface. Put some on a clean rag and wipe it on the spec until it loosens. Make sure any surface you apply this to is thoroughly cleaned after and not with your regular cleaning tools. If you have any questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image

BayerischeMW 04-09-2006 01:15 AM

hey Greg

what about big pieces of asphalt/rubber/tare? if i pull them off they leave a dark orange/brown mark on the wheel. what can i do with those? thanks!

deafboy 04-09-2006 01:28 AM

bug and tar remover... :dunno:

Greg@DetailedImage.com 04-09-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayerischeMW
hey Greg

what about big pieces of asphalt/rubber/tare? if i pull them off they leave a dark orange/brown mark on the wheel. what can i do with those? thanks!

That residue should be able to be removed with a good metal polish like the P21S Finish Restorer, Wenol, etc. Should remove the stain and leave the surface looking new again. If there is actually raised specs of debris on the surface left behind thats difficult to remove then the Tarminator should work great for you, or you can use WD-40, mineral spirits etc. Again just clean the area thoroughly after you're done.

Greg @ Detailed Image

OCDGarage 04-09-2006 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafboy
bug and tar remover... :dunno:

Thats 2 for 2. :thumbup: Do you want an job?
:)

Brett

kerisabe 04-12-2006 10:40 AM

WheelWax really helps to protect the shine on the polished lips, easy cleaning of the brake dust. When oxidation occurs on the lips, I usually use Mother's BILLET Aluminum Polish. Works great..:thumbup:

deafboy 04-12-2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDGarage
Thats 2 for 2. :thumbup: Do you want an job?
:)

Brett

haha...whats the pay like. :clap:

I could be like mini-brett....except Im prolly taller than you and not as while about detailing. But you get the idea.