E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   *PIC* Angel Eyes (VERY pleased) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391002)

islanq 08-09-2006 02:42 PM

*PIC* Angel Eyes (VERY pleased)
 
So basically I got some off brand angel eyes and I must say I'm SUPER IMPRESSED w/ my results. I bought these and they did not come w/ a harness or very good instructions. Through the support of forums and various research online (and my trusty voltage reader) I got them installed w/ no complications.

The upside:
- My gf's dad has Umnitza DDE's on his E46 M3, side by side you can barely notice a difference.
- They are noticeable during the day time
- The fitment was superb.
- For the money it was WELL worth it.

The downside:
- No harness
- Limited instructions (not very usable at all)
- Lack of such materials like; zip ties, double sided sticky tape, wire taps, etc.. (although I'm not sure if any manufactures send that stuff)


Final Thoughts:
If you are a hands on technical person such as myself you can learn to install these lights w/ common sense almost with out instructions at all. For the price being less than 1/2 of what the newest Umnitza's cost (although I do realize Umnitza offers support and very detailed tutorials, etc...) I must say it it was worth it.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2...geleyesbc4.jpg

Penguin Koolaid 08-09-2006 02:46 PM

Looks good :thumbsup:

islanq 08-09-2006 02:49 PM

^ Thanks, I have more pics on my home comp. I just took that one down off my myspace since I don't have the pics here. I'll post more later and get some day time pics as well! I just need to get my damn daytimes turned off now! :thanks:

SWINFORD 08-09-2006 02:51 PM

Got any daytime shots?

islanq 08-09-2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swinford
Got any daytime shots?

I'll take some tonight for ya!

SK328CI 08-09-2006 02:55 PM

looks nice, where did you get them from?

bave46rider 08-09-2006 02:58 PM

islanq,

Very well done!! Your angel eyes look awesome, and you did a great install! It's not a difficult install at all, and with all the resources available online (lots of DIY instructions here), it should actually be a fun mod to do yourself. Regarding the wiring harness (and as you found out), you really don't need it if you're just hooking your angel eyes to your parking lights, headlights, or DRLs. It's also only a $10 harness at vendor's website, or you can make your own for a couple of bucks (it's just some long wires available at Home Depot).

Congrats again!

kinggrimwood 08-09-2006 03:04 PM

I want to, but i've got other bmw related repairs to deal with first. :(

Bostonbimmer 08-09-2006 03:06 PM

I got a set off ebay and they work perfect for about a month and 1/2 then they died - I e-mailed the seller and the manufacture - no luck they wanted to sell me a complete new set- I got stuck with a junk kit...Not saying your going to have the same run of bad luck but there is something to say the quality of cheap stuff on ebay-

killswitch 08-09-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islanq
I'll take some tonight for ya!

u'll take some daytime shots tonight? :hmm:


they look great dude, congrats :thumbsup:

islanq 08-09-2006 03:08 PM

@ Bostonbimmer

Hopefully this WON'T happen to me :shhh: , the guy who sells them actually owns an E46 and has assured me that his have been running strong for a little over a year now.

islanq 08-09-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killswitch
u'll take some daytime shots tonight? :hmm:


they look great dude, congrats :thumbsup:

LOL I mean tonight as when I get off work @ 3pm. It doesn't get dark till about 9ish here right now. I'll have plenty of time. But yeah that did sound kind of retarded now that you point it out! :rofl:

Kanaljen 08-09-2006 03:13 PM

Looks nice!

I too bought some on ebay super cheap and had the same experience. A little DIY but the result was great!

One issue I had was that the clip holding them moved a litte.. I was probably the only one noticing but you know how that goes..

So, I took it apart again, put a small drop of silicon on there (can't see it from the outside), let it dry and voila!! All good!

QUESTION TO THE GROUP:

I want my angle eyes to be on all the time. I.e., with my DLR lights but also when I switch on my xenon. I hooked the whole thing up to the fog lights, so the angle eyes goes on when I push the fog light button. This is nice since I can have them on whenever BUT I would like to have them on with the DLR light WITHOUT having to turn on the fog lights.

To where should I hook them up? I was thinking about the cigarette fuse but don't know if that thing is on eventhough the car is not..

Again, any ideas on where I can get my juice??

Thanks!
A

Alex323Ci 08-09-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bave46rider
islanq,

Very well done!! Your angel eyes look awesome, and you did a great install! It's not a difficult install at all, and with all the resources available online (lots of DIY instructions here), it should actually be a fun mod to do yourself. Regarding the wiring harness (and as you found out), you really don't need it if you're just hooking your angel eyes to your parking lights, headlights, or DRLs. It's also only a $10 harness at vendor's website, or you can make your own for a couple of bucks (it's just some long wires available at Home Depot).

Congrats again!

Agreed, you can just buy the harness/remote already made from a vendor. Or you can make it, as it was made by a member on the forum and then duplicated from the vendors(they used to give credit to the original DIYer, now they act like it's they're own doing. Gotta love the over marketing of these. How to make it is documented in a thread, as mentioned it's not hard to do with parts found readily. I'm sure a vendor will quickly post trying to protect their product by stating the warranty they have, which is a good point. But as long as you were aware of this, then I say good for you on your project. Let's see how long and which vendor posts first?

killswitch 08-09-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islanq
LOL I mean tonight as when I get off work @ 3pm. It doesn't get dark till about 9ish here right now. I'll have plenty of time. But yeah that did sound kind of retarded now that you point it out! :rofl:


haha, no worries...:craig:

bave46rider 08-09-2006 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islanq


PS. If anyone in the Portland, OR area needs DDE's installed or help I'm more then willing to help out!

An example of a true e46fanatic an enthusiast. Hopefully there will be more people in the forums that do the same. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
Agreed, you can just buy the harness/remote already made from a vendor. Or you can make it, as it was made by a member on the forum and then duplicated from the vendors(they used to give credit to the original DIYer, now they act like it's they're own doing. Gotta love the over marketing of these. How to make it is documented in a thread, as mentioned it's not hard to do with parts found readily. I'm sure a vendor will quickly post trying to protect their product by stating the warranty they have, which is a good point. But as long as you were aware of this, then I say good for you on your project. Let's see how long and which vendor posts first?

Alex, very well stated. Looks like you've been around here long enough to know this. :)

Kanaljen 08-09-2006 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islanq
@ Kanaljen

I hooked mine up to the ignition wire, mine are on any time my key is in position 2 in the ignition! It's so awesome because it has absolutely no impact on any other light setups in my car (i.e. i can get my crappy yellow DRL turned off eventually). :thumbsup:

Yeah, that sounds like the ticket! Where to you splice into the ignition wire/where do you find it?

And, about your yellow lights, you can always try those new light bulbs out there with 7k range. The will not be just like xenon but better... Or, as you said, just turn them off yourself or go to the stealership and have them do it with their magical computer!

Thanks!
A

hookem12387 08-09-2006 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islanq
@ Kanaljen

I hooked mine up to the ignition wire, mine are on any time my key is in position 2 in the ignition! It's so awesome because it has absolutely no impact on any other light setups in my car (i.e. i can get my crappy yellow DRL turned off eventually). :thumbsup:

I have no idea how to do wiring or I'd want to do exactly what you did. Besides, I'm scared of the 2 incidents, out of a possible billion cases, where there have been fires. My car catches fire and I cry and bike.Nicely done, though!

islanq 08-09-2006 04:05 PM

@ Kanaljen
Yeah I'm just turning them off, I ordered the Umnitza HID wanna be lights for low beam to they somewhat match the DDEs.

To answer your question the ignition wire should be this:
(in this image it is red, on my car it was green,. I think regardless this is where it is.)
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6157/09iz9.jpg
You can test by getting your voltage reader and checking to see if you get 12v when turning the key to position 2 (the last notch it clicks into before you turn to start the motor). That is what I did, works like a charm. :thumbsup:

@ hookem12387
My gf's dad helped me and he knows his stuff (he works for a company that makes machines to produce chips for Intel here at the Intel facility in Oregon). He also put Umnitza's on his Imola red E46 M3 so I trusted his judgement :)

hookem12387 08-09-2006 04:24 PM

See if I had somebody legit to help me with wiring like that It would be different. It's not the brand I worry about, I'm so tired of brand DDE wars, it's the splicing into wiring, period.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use