E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   how in the hell did i get shingles? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=395973)

hi its me alec 08-25-2006 02:35 AM

how in the hell did i get shingles?

i'm 17 years old and i just got shingles (a reanimated form of chicken pox) on my back in a concentrated area. the doctor said that at my age, it's almost unheard of and is mostly common among senior citizens. i had the chicken pox when i was 1 or 2...

any ideas as to how/why this happened? weird... :hmm:

donjuan45i 08-25-2006 02:38 AM

never even heard of it, does it itch like chicken pox?

hi its me alec 08-25-2006 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donjuan45i (Post 4779886)
never even heard of it, does it itch like chicken pox?

kinda, it's more of just an irritation.

when chicken pox dies down, it never exits the body, it just becomes dormant and is stored in nerve endings or something. in some cases, later on in life (usually at 50-60) the virus becomes active again for a variety of reasons. in my case, it's almost like a golfball sized patch of skin by my shoulderblade that's all blistered and rashy. should go away in a week or so, but without treatment i run the risk of killing the nerve endings in my back in this little patch...

donjuan45i 08-25-2006 03:11 AM

sounds like something you wouldnt want to play show and tell with if you have a girl over

europass 08-30-2006 08:51 AM

I am 31 now and I have had shingles 2x so far. Once in my early 20's, and once in my late 20's. My doctor told me the same thing about it being unheard of...yeah right! It is a strain of chicken pox that lays dormant. Feel lucky, both times I got them during extremely stressful times in my life and they covered almost the entire lower half of my back. It started w/ just one little lump. I thought it was a spyder bite and by the 3rd day it had spread serverly:eek: . If you catch it in the 1st 72 hours you can take an antibiotic or something to get it to stop. My doctor gave it to me and I have it in my medicine cabinet. Ask him in case you get it again. BTW, are you a perfectionist or a worrier? I am really anal and I think this has alot to do w/ it. :hmm:
Are you suffering w/ it now?

mf9point8 08-31-2006 10:54 AM

I had an ex that would get the same thing when she was stressed. She used to be in a lot of pain when she had it. Anitbiotics seemed to fix it up.
Good luck Alex.

bender73 09-16-2006 12:51 PM

shingles (herpes zoster) in an otherwise healthy person can be a sign of a few things...

1. stress
2. over-abuse/poor nutrition of the body (basically, stressing the body)
3. HIV (i don't mean to scare you)
4. or just "because" - the body can do funky things sometimes!!!

bender73 09-16-2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mf9point8 (Post 4806553)
I had an ex that would get the same thing when she was stressed. She used to be in a lot of pain when she had it. Anitbiotics seemed to fix it up.
Good luck Alex.

you mean anti-virals (antibiotics are for bacterial infections)

herpes zoster is a virus

DKman 09-27-2006 04:23 PM

Shingles can also come about due to fast hormonal changes in the body, for this reason kids going through puberty sometimes get it. I hope your not experiencing puberty.